Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amazon lady

Well at last its finally connected to the internet and half way through update, only after 2 emails to UPC, 2 to Nintendo, 1 call from UPC, 1 call to tech support and eventually 1 call to super tech support @ é1.20 per minute where a nice person rang me back and finally sorted it out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Cwarim

The Wii U is pretty great. Just got one myself last week.

Played an hour of Mario 3D World on the big screen, then an hour of NES Remix on the gamepad. That got me in a 'NES mood', so I played a further hour of The Legend of Zelda (NES) on the gamepad, and made it to level 4. (Thank god for save states)

Shame it's bombing so hard, but I understand why. No 3rd party games and the pad is a tough sell unless you use it for an hour or two yourself.

Anyone know a cheap place to pick up a Wii Remote with Motion Plus included? I have the old add on one but I'd like it in a smaller package.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any worldwide sales figures for Xmas period yet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Cwarim

sweetie wrote: »
    Any worldwide sales figures for Xmas period yet

I don't believe so, but Nintendo's quarterly financial briefing is coming up in late January and we'll get numbers there for sure.

North American NPD numbers will be out mid January, and we don't get concrete european hardware numbers except from the companies themselves.

For Japanese numbers see Neogaf's weekly MediaCreate sales threads, like this one
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746506

I don't have a running total for the Christmas period from Japan, though. You can go add them all up yourself if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Cwarim wrote: »

Anyone know a cheap place to pick up a Wii Remote with Motion Plus included? I have the old add on one but I'd like it in a smaller package.

Check Tesco. There are unconfirmed sightings of m+ wiimotes going for a fiver.It was mentioned on hukd but since it was Ireland onlyand the guy didn't say which Tesco he saw it in the deal disappeared quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Cwarim wrote: »

I got motion plus one 4 from dealextreme.
    Obviously not Nintendo ones.

Seem grand to me and at 20dollars for a wiimote and nunchuck i don't think you can go far wrong.

Saw ones very similar on amazon yesterday for 13pounds sterling for the set.

Personally I think the real ones are seriously overpriced.

You can get 4 copies for less than the price of one real Nintendo one ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok so bought mario 3d land on adverts for 36 including postage. Got myself windwaker console, mario u, luigi u, mario 3d, rayman legends and zelda windwaker oh and scribblenauts.....

Gonna look for pikmin now and maybe lego city or blops 2 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Anyone think we will see a Nintendo Direct this month as mind blowing as the Jan 2013 one?

BLOps 2 was €30 in HMV recently, might still be on their site but they REALLY don't want you to find WiiU games on their site... The price on Amazon has been up and down, occasionally dips below £20 if you're patient. I have a copy, star points and all, if you want to make an offer - it's not my scene. But not on Boards, that would be against the charter!

Pikmin is in the Gamestop 2 for 50 with Luigi U or Donkey Kong for 3DS (not much else decent in it for 3DS/WiiU), if you can find a store still running it (it's finished on the Website). Pikmin also cheapish on WowHD, Amazon and Argos.

Finally got to play Mario 3D multiplayer, with 2 of my daughters (2 1/2 and nearly 5). It's incredibly frustrating :D "I want to be the princess! I want to be a cat!" (me : Climb that tree, there's a bell in it) "I can't climb the tree! Help me climb the tree! HELP ME CLIMB THE TREEEEEE!" and meanwhile the younger one is waving a wiimote like a sword, happily following the rest of the team around in a bubble and knocking things off the table. I'm going back to Lego City...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    Finally got to play Mario 3D multiplayer, with 2 of my daughters (2 1/2 and nearly 5). It's incredibly frustrating :D "I want to be the princess! I want to be a cat!" (me : Climb that tree, there's a bell in it) "I can't climb the tree! Help me climb the tree! HELP ME CLIMB THE TREEEEEE!" and meanwhile the younger one is waving a wiimote like a sword, happily following the rest of the team around in a bubble and knocking things off the table. I'm going back to Lego City...

If you play it with someone that can play properly, it becomes fantastic fun, a great combo of teamwork and competition!

You can sort out the arguing over who plays which character by hitting random at the start of each level! :D

• Advertisement

Was playing it on the gamepad last night and got to the bit where you have to blow to move the platforms - the looks my missus gave me! Must get her to give it a go although she has never really gamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

sweetie wrote: »
    Was playing it on the gamepad last night and got to the bit where you have to blow to move the platforms - the looks my missus gave me! Must get her to give it a go although she has never really gamed.

I found just tapping where the microphone is, worked better than actually blowing.

abbir wrote: »
    I found just tapping where the microphone is, worked better than actually blowing.

But much less Fun! It's such a good game I'm limiting myself to a couple of levels a night to make it last longer but I can see where the replayability is in this title although i'm not one to replay games at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I'm in a similar boat. Onto the last world but have deliberately held back as I don't want to finish it too soon.

I've going back over the rest of the game where I can to hunt for more stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

abbir wrote: »

Keep that advice to yourself or we'll all be ruined!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

\o/ My WiiU is in the post!

You can sort out the arguing over who plays which character by hitting random at the start of each level! :D
    To other Boardsie dads,
    Hitting random randomizes all players, not just undeclared ones. If, like me, you prefer your ear drums unperforated, don't promise Peach to one child and then hit random.

I'm going to "accidentally" fire up ZombiU tomorrow, that'll learn 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Picked up a WiiU during the week. and pretty impressed with it so far.
    And while moving my Wii, I found out it could play Gamecube Games (always thought it was too new a model). So in the same week I bought my first WiiU and Gamecube games. Loving a bit of Nintendo at the moment

Looking forward to picking up 3D World as some point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

mise wrote: »
    Picked up a WiiU during the week. and pretty impressed with it so far.
    And while moving my Wii, I found out it could play Gamecube Games (always thought it was too new a model). So in the same week I bought my first WiiU and Gamecube games. Loving a bit of Nintendo at the moment

Looking forward to picking up 3D World as some point

Can the Wii U play GC games as well!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Oh no, I was moving my Wii to make room for the Wii U!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

madmoe wrote: »
    Can the Wii U play GC games as well!?

No, just Wii and Wii U games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I cannot wait till mario kart 8 release , There is alot of people here who made laps around me when mario kart 7 came out, some people need a paddlin :L

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I cant wait for Mario kart either. I will be most shocking. ...most shocking.

As for smash bros thatll be even worse but fun. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Starting to build a backlog due to just not enough time to play but ploughing through Deus Ex (fekin brilliant!) and got ZombiU to start properly. Didn't help the situation today by getting Assassins Creed 4 but loved number 3 and saw it in Smyths for 35 (they also have Splinter Cell for 20).....might go back for Splinter Cell though; anyone have it and is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

smokingman wrote: »
    Smyths for 35 (they also have Splinter Cell for 20).....might go back for Splinter Cell though; anyone have it and is it any good?

Is good fun. I like to play it stealthy, can't really stand playing it gun and run style though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Playing Wind Waker at the minute..always loved Zelda so that's ticking a few boxes. Really shouldn't start playing it at ten at night though with work the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

quick question guys. I'm seriously considering getting a WiiU, so that should mean that Wii U sales in Ireland will increase 1000% on last year ;), but the motion control of the old Wii turned me off.
    Is the new WiiU as dependent on motion control? Or can the classic controller or the gamepad be used as normal controller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    quick question guys. I'm seriously considering getting a WiiU, so that should mean that Wii U sales in Ireland will increase 1000% on last year ;), but the motion control of the old Wii turned me off.
    Is the new WiiU as dependent on motion control? Or can the classic controller or the gamepad be used as normal controller?

The Wii U uses the Pad, which has far less emphasis on that motion control malarky. I enjoy it all the more for that, because like yourself, I really really dislike motion controls & the Wiimote & nunchuk

The only game I can remember using Motion controls on is Nintendo Land, and even then I may be confusing that with Wii Sports Resort...

Everything defaults to the control pad, at least for Single Player.
    While there may be the odd motion control moment - eg aligning the controller screen with your telly so you can "scan" a room (these moments are not usually time-pressured so they're are not game-breaking) - and plenty of touch-screen action, there's nothing I can think of where you have to shake something instead of pressing a button, introducing unnecessary inaccuracy to a twitch game. I haven't played every WiiU game going though, and I haven't played any of them all that extensively so I'll stand for correction...

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »

think of it as a hybrid 2ds/vita handheld device that will play independently on it's own screen and/or play on your tv like a normal console. It's great.

Advertisement