Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Banjo wrote: »
    Isn't it just the fit meter you need? £15 or so on amazon right now.

No, you need the balance board too to get the programme to work. It won't even load for the first time without it.

You can initially manage without the meter, although you'd be missing out on a lot of functionality, but you do need to register the meter to get the Wii U fit programme to work beyond the trial period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

druss wrote: »
    No, you need the balance board too.

You need to register the meter to get the Wii U fit programme to work beyond the trial period.

That's what I mean, I took it they were anxious to unlock the demo before the end of the month, the balance board won't do that and I don't think you need one to start the demo. I've been wrong before though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No, you need the balance board too to get the programme to work. It won't even load for the first time without it.

You can initially manage without the meter, although you'd be missing out on a lot of functionality, but you do need to register the meter to get the Wii U fit programme to work beyond the trial period.

You need to Sync the balance board before even getting into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Eshop is gonna rape my wallet bough mario world, mario 3 and trine 2 tonight...

Amazing mario world is so so good.... nostalgia for hours on end my wife described me as a huge ****ing kid but secretly she loves it ;)

How anyone can slate this console astounds me it is gaming at its very best..

Also is it just me or are recent mario titles way way way too easy? Mario world is a tough and unforgiving game and it was a bargain at 7.99 jesus christ im so happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Eshop is gonna rape my wallet bough mario world, mario 3 and trine 2 tonight...

Amazing mario world is so so good.... nostalgia for hours on end my wife described me as a huge ****ing kid but secretly she loves it ;)

Also is it just me or are recent mario titles way way way too easy? Mario world is a tough and unforgiving game and it was a bargain at 7.99 jesus christ im so happy :D

Same here, I recently got a WiiU and copied all of my Wii VC stuff over and then went and updated them all to play on the gamepad and then got Mario Bros. 3 because it's the only Mario my wife will play, so we take turns on the gamepad while we watch tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anybody played Trine 2? Looks good and I think it's cheap enough on the Eshop.

Slowly but surely building up my hours ion the Wii U, put in 3 hours on 3D world last night and working my way through Wind Waker. Have about five other games to start working through as well.

If only I didn't go out drinking at the weekend!!

I get the feeling that they've made Mario REALLY easy to play through, but fiendishly difficult to 3-Star, Stamp and pole-top in one go, so you can play it with your kids and not have them constantly crying or dragging you down. (However, they did not fully commit - there's only one playable girl character. Damn you Ninty! Reskin Peach for Daisy and Rosalina! Little girls don't want to be a mushroom man!)

After playing Mario 3D Land and 3D world I went back to SMB3. I can't beat the first level! I used to star-road SMW in my sleep! These new games are making me soft...

Thats a lot for 373 tbh bargain for that money

Suppose. I was trying to see if I could have boxed a bit better, given that my priorities were to get the Mario and Zelda fix. But the only real saving would be not buying Rayman, and sure why would I do that to myself!

Anyway PS4 and 3 games would be closing in on €550, without even getting into a debate on the quality of the games.

After playing Mario 3D Land and 3D world I went back to SMB3. I can't beat the first level!

Oh good. So it's not just me struggling then!

• Advertisement

2014 Purchases:

"Not even thinking about it - just take my money!" category
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros

Strong probables
    Bayonetta 2
    Watch Dogs
    X
    Donkey Kong Country (never had a DK game, but maybe i'll be platformed out)

Most of these I don't actually know that much about, due to a lack of a Nintendo background. But advance word seems positive.

Would buy to fill out the back catalogue if the price was right
    Assasins Creed 4
    Fifa 13 (I've always had a football game, and this might be all i'll get on this machine)
    Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

2014 Purchases:

"Not even thinking about it - just take my money!" category
    Pikmin 3

Fixed one of those for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just in case people haven't seen, nominations can be made for best Wii U games in the Game Awards in the main Games forum (as well as for that other console that begins with an X or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

(However, they did not fully commit - there's only one playable girl character. Damn you Ninty! Reskin Peach for Daisy and Rosalina! Little girls don't want to be a mushroom man!)
    You do know you can unlock Rosalina as a playable character right? Beat Bowser in World 8, head back to World 1, talk to fairies, take rocket to Star World, Complete second level of Star world, Rosalina time! (with Galaxy-esque spin attack!). I haven't got this far yet, but I saw it on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

petes wrote: »
    Anybody played Trine 2? Looks good and I think it's cheap enough on the Eshop.

Slowly but surely building up my hours ion the Wii U, put in 3 hours on 3D world last night and working my way through Wind Waker. Have about five other games to start working through as well.

If only I didn't go out drinking at the weekend!!

trine 2 is great babe. you should buy 2 copies.

@Coffee to Go : I haven't read your spoiler but given what you're quoting I'm guessing that I have some work to do to keep my little'uns happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What astounds me is that Im just as bad at Super Mario World now as I was 20 years ago :eek:

All those years wasted when I could have been playing SMW!

What astounds me is that Im just as bad at Super Mario World now as I was 20 years ago :eek:

All those years wasted when I could have been playing SMW!

Problem for me is i was absolutely excellent at all the nes and snes mario games i love having them again but the new mario games are just too easy. Even the ability to jump off walls means fall down a hole and 95 percent of time u can save yourself....

No luigi u is in parts challenging its pure hectic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Problem for me is i was absolutely excellent at all the nes and snes mario games i love having them again but the new mario games are just too easy. Even the ability to jump off walls means fall down a hole and 95 percent of time u can save yourself....

No luigi u is in parts challenging its pure hectic :D

If I'm honest I love that Mario and gaming in general has been dumbed down.

I just dont have the time to slog games out like I would have had in the past plus my patience has definately dwindled over the years.

For me NSMB Wii U isnt hard but its certainly not easy as you progress. First few worlds are easy yeah but I think I'm at world 5 or 6 at the moment and I'm at a ghost house which bugged me enough to stop playing it. I'll come back to it but it did stop me in my tracks.

I see were people are coming from but the challenge that we faced on games on the snes/mega drive or nes/amstrad etc.. was madness at times. Theres games that you couldnt, well I couldnt get past levels and never finished them. There was no youtube how to videos in the day.

The way I think gaming should work is make levels passable if you want to pass them but give enough replay value and challenge on harder difficulty settings for those who want that too. Why punish lesser gamers like myself who either arent good enough or dont have the time but still want to enjoy the time they do spend playing.

Thats my 2 cents anyways.

The challenge level on SNES and MegaDrive was born out of a time when, on previous generations of consoles and arcade systems, you could complete a game in 40minutes or an hour if you were good enough. To extend the life of the game you made it very difficult for people to survive that 40 minutes, and sent them back to the start if they made enough mistakes.

As consoles grew more sophisiticated, there were more resources to play with which meant more room for more game. As games got longer and more involved, and crucially more plot-focused, and as more money was poured into production the use of game difficulty to create longevity has changed - they don't need to artificially hold you back and why would they want to, after spending all that money getting Jay Z to design the final boss's coat? They want you to see it, they want EVERYONE to see it!

The plot used to be an excuse for the challenge, now the challenge is there to keep you engaged with the plot. This is probably a good thing. We're moving away from the O'Briainian notion of games punishing players.

I love video games for this reason over all other art forms. They do a thing which no other art form does, right? You cannot be bad at watching a movie. You cannot be bad at listening to an album. But you can be bad at playing a video game and the video game will punish you and deny you access to the rest of the video game. No other art form does this. You’ve never read a book and three chapters in, the book has gone, ‘What are the major themes of the book so far?’ You’ve never been listening to an album and after three songs the album has gone, ‘Dance for me. Show me how good your dancing is.’

I'm happy too, for myself - I don't have the time to memorise jump timings and enemy patterns any more. But I wonder if it's bad for our kids, who will learn to expect everything to be on a plate, will never learn the joy of achieving success only through hard work, or the pain of finding out that your best is still not good enough. Well, they can learn it in real life, sure, but wouldn't it be kinder coming from Mario?

• Advertisement

The challenge level on SNES and MegaDrive was born out of a time when, on previous generations of consoles and arcade systems, you could complete a game in 40minutes or an hour if you were good enough. To extend the life of the game you made it very difficult for people to survive that 40 minutes, and sent them back to the start if they made enough mistakes.

As consoles grew more sophisiticated, there were more resources to play with which meant more room for more game. As games got longer and more involved, and crucially more plot-focused, and as more money was poured into production the use of game difficulty to create longevity has changed - they don't need to artificially hold you back and why would they want to, after spending all that money getting Jay Z to design the final boss's coat? They want you to see it, they want EVERYONE to see it!

The plot used to be an excuse for the challenge, now the challenge is there to keep you engaged with the plot. This is probably a good thing. We're moving away from the O'Briainian notion of games punishing players.

I'm happy too, for myself - I don't have the time to memorise jump timings and enemy patterns any more. But I wonder if it's bad for our kids, who will learn to expect everything to be on a plate, will never learn the joy of achieving success only through hard work, or the pain of finding out that your best is still not good enough. Well, they can learn it in real life, sure, but wouldn't it be kinder coming from Mario?

I heard that sketch from Dara before alright. Its true. The book part was particularly funny I thought.

I see what your saying about the kids of today so to speak but to be honest becuase it makes games easier for me I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Download VVVVVV to the 3DS and give that to the kids to play! The challenge is still there in certain games, that are crazy and frustrating, but still fun to play.

Playing through the last level on world 7 in NSMB wii u last night where you
    have to tilt the gamepad to get the platform to move. It frustrated me enough to stop playing. Lost a few lives getting hit by flames and just had to give up before I smashed the gamepad against the floor!

I'll give it another go tonight. Its probably not that hard but it does show how little patience I have these days for difficulty in games.

On a different note I've noticed a lot of ye on the friends list popping up as I've been playing. Will be great having people to play against when Mario Kart and Super Smash Bro's come out. I'll be getting both on launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

On a different note I've noticed a lot of ye on the friends list popping up as I've been playing. Will be great having people to play against when Mario Kart and Super Smash Bro's come out. I'll be getting both on launch.

I want to try and get a big skill-only community going on MK8 when it comes out. No blue shells dammit! (assuming online works like MK7).

Hi lads. Interested in buying a Wii u and just wondering can you definitely download Mario Bros 3 and Mario World for the U? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, they're both in the E-Store. As is Mario Bros 2. (Don't know about 1 though!)

Hi lads. Interested in buying a Wii u and just wondering can you definitely download Mario Bros 3 and Mario World for the U? Thanks

I have them both you are in for a real treat :D

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I want to try and get a big skill-only community going on MK8 when it comes out. No blue shells dammit! (assuming online works like MK7).

I'm up for that although due to my skill level I think I should be allowed to use blue shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

NoE sent emails to some people today, I didn't get one. If you got an email from them, it's a survey asking about how bad they are and how they can improve, would be super if you'd fill it out for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wii Fit U is free til the 31st? Must pick up the meter in argos tomorrow

Advertisement