Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wii Fit U is free til the 31st? Must pick up the meter in argos tomorrow

Is it the demo or the full game thats free til tge 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is it the demo or the full game thats free til tge 31st?

Demo can be unlocked so its the full game by connecting a Fit meter by 31st. Not sure if they're pulling the demo from the site after that or the unlock no longer works. Ninty confirmed that you can redownload it as unlocked at a later date once you unlock it. A couple of people mentioned you need a balance board to start the demo up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have a balance board. Must check see if it works.

I wasn't sure on the details of the Wii Fit U trial. Is it active for 30 days from the time you download or is it whichever comes first between the 30 days ending and Jan 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not sure , far as I know the demo is 30 days from first launch, but you can't unlock it after 31st. Sure we'll find out in a week or so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

/\/ollog wrote: »
    NoE sent emails to some people today, I didn't get one. If you got an email from them, it's a survey asking about how bad they are and how they can improve, would be super if you'd fill it out for all of us.

The survey asks where in Europe you come from, but doesn't include Ireland..not even as a "UK and Ireland" option as such surveys are fond of doing. It asks me how many people are in my family and for their ages, but age begins at 3 in Nintendo-ese. So my 2 year old and 3 week year old had to be adjusted upwards. They kept asking me to "emend" the form.

Also you are asked to say if the WiiU has various qualities, and what I want to say is "Yes, it does. But most people don't KNOW that about it!".

I mean some of the features were a surprise to me, and i did some research before buying the thing!

• Advertisement

Have not turned my xbox one on for a week now i think i am actually regretting buying it..

The wii u mario, zelda and virtual console titles have me hooked :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Banjo wrote: »
    Not sure , far as I know the demo is 30 days from first launch, but you can't unlock it after 31st. Sure we'll find out in a week or so :-)

It's 30 days from the point where you downloaded it initially

Got my fit meter anyway. Tiny box. Even tinier meter. I was sure it would be bigger. :-)

Plus Argos had a big poster behind the counter advertising Wii Fit U.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is there's no way I can play Wii games on the Wii u while using the gamepad?

Cant get used to the Wii controller and nunchuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Is there's no way I can play Wii games on the Wii u while using the gamepad?

Cant get used to the Wii controller and nunchuck.

Nope unfortunately.

I only started Resident Evil 4 this evening on the Wii and am finding it odd as well. I would imagine though like other controls you get used to them. .... Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Resi 4 on Wii is the best iteration, the controls are perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Resi 4 on Wii is the best iteration, the controls are perfect for it.

I really must give this game another go; it was what swore me off motion-controls initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Wii U has sold 5.86 million so far.
    More than any competitor this generation.

Iwata and Miyamoto are both taking 50% pay-cuts.

Sony's stock is now in Junk status on the stock market.

Also, Game Journalism reaches new low today.
    http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/01/game-informer-blasts-wii-u-friend-codes-doesnt-even-know-doesnt-use/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/01/game-informer-blasts-wii-u-friend-codes-doesnt-even-know-doesnt-use/

Thepaycut story on RTE has the following quote which i liked because of the neatly encapsulated double standard.
    Analysts have criticised the new system's limited game selection for the poor results, as rivals Sony and Microsoft enjoy robust demand for their new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles.

Ah the fantastic launch catalogues on PS4 and Xbox One.

I like that some websites are continuing to publish versions of the "Watch Dogs has been pulled from the Wii U" story, days after all sides confirmed that this was a GameStop database error .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze apparently doesn't utilise the gamepad during gameplay, and when I say doesn't utilise it - thats literal, it actually stays blank during TV play. You have to select beforehand if you want to play on TV or gamepad.

This is quite worrying for such a big game for Nintendo this year that they've removed any sort of interaction with the gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Corholio wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze apparently doesn't utilise the gamepad during gameplay, and when I say doesn't utilise it - thats literal, it actually stays blank during TV play. You have to select beforehand if you want to play on TV or gamepad.

This is quite worrying for such a big game for Nintendo this year that they've removed any sort of interaction with the gamepad.

Once I can play it on the gamepad I'm happy.

To be fair i bought 3 wii u consoles and had a new one out of box that the gamepad wasnt linked to the console....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

How do I play Zelda just on the gamepad. When I load it up, it only displays the inventory/menu. Can I play the actual game on the pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

shuffles03 wrote: »
    How do I play Zelda just on the gamepad. When I load it up, it only displays the inventory/menu. Can I play the actual game on the pad?

Press -

druss wrote: »
    Thepaycut story on RTE has the following quote which i liked because of the neatly encapsulated double standard.

Ah the fantastic launch catalogues on PS4 and Xbox One.

I like that some websites are continuing to publish versions of the "Watch Dogs has been pulled from the Wii U" story, days after all sides confirmed that this was a GameStop database error .
    lmao, that's the most hilarious thing I've ever read about Nintendo.
    The one thing they have over the other two is game.
    To be fair i bought 3 wii u consoles and had a new one out of box that the gamepad wasnt linked to the console....

What does you means?

• Advertisement

lmao, that's the most hilarious thing I've ever read about Nintendo.
    The one thing they have over the other two is game.

What does you means?
    4 of the wii u sold were mine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

4 of the wii u sold were mine lol

Perfect for the house, office, caravan and boat!

So downloaded and installed Wii Fit U trial and it said I had 31 days left, so looks like the Jan 31st deadline is just how long the trial is available for download.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So downloaded and installed Wii Fit U trial and it said I had 31 days left, so looks like the Jan 31st deadline is just how long the trial is available for download.

Yeah you're right. On Feb 1st, the trial will be replaced by a full priced digital game.

Seemingly DS games are coming to the Wii U, it's just been announced at a Nintendo Conference. They've also announced Quality of Life, a platform that will integrate with Nintendo Hardware to improve your lifestyle.

EDIT: Yup, confirmed, from a slide at the presentation:
    14.jpg

Mario Kart 8 boxart, coming May

16.jpg

Iwata's presentation at Investor Meeting just finished, with Q&A after, the main points:

- Wii U biggest weakness is the gamepad, consumers still think its accessory for the Wii. Awareness and utilising the gamepad is Nintendo's biggest priority
    - NFC Wii U titles to be revealed at E3
    - High speed start up of gamepad is being developed. Allow gamers to immediately begin gaming without TV
    - Mario Kart 8 to be released in May.
    - Hinted at a 'smart device' being planned. Said it doesn't make sense for Nintendo not to be involved in smart devices
    - Some sort of smart device service being launched this year, an on demand service.
    - On Demand service will be ID based and not device based. Will experiment with a new model on Wii U, a model where if more players play the game, the lower the price it will be.
    - Licensing IP's will now be more flexible, but will not undermine them.
    - Nintendo is already in discussions about IP licensing arrangements.
    - Miyamoto says lack of key franchises has hurt Wii U a lot. Outside developers will be brought in to work on said key franchises.
    - Nintendo DS Virtual Console will be coming to Wii U (Revealed on Nintendo Japan website)
    - Says Nintendo must have 1 architecture instead of 2 or 3. Gives example of Apple having one iOS and Android the same. Says portable and console must be like 'brother and sister'.

Edit: Sorry Cherryghost, was typing it as it was going on, didn't see your posts

Also a lot of talk on 'non-wearable technology' which Iwata was being very mysterious about, but said more would be revealed of this in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My god mario kart 8 is so close , really hope it has the community features for the online like mario kart 7. going to be mental :L

Advertisement