Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Read through the presentation, and it definitely sounds like they're realising the things that irk people (purchased tied to hardware etc...) and are working towards making things better. I'm pretty hopeful based on that!

But yeah, can't wait for Mario Kart 8 either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I always felt that people. Saying wii u has no games is not exactly fair considering nintendo had alot of 3rd party guys like ea who appeared on e3 and promised games like battlefield 3 that would come to wii u but didnt. Even rayman legends being pushed to the end of 2013 , I had no doubts nintendo were hoping those games would fill in the gap while nintendo were still working on their ips.

As iwata and miyamoto said the jump from sd to hd is huge and they had no idea it would of needed to double the development and while some say they should have known I am no developer but seeing playstation go through the same thing I am willing to give nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

What has been announced today is great to see iwata actually pushing to make games for the gamepad which I am really enjoying. The mobile devices may actually work if done correctly so I am interested to see how that turns out.

The thing I am abit confused about is when they said they liencse their characters to others are they talking about game wise or are they talking about making movies for their characters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

for the use of characters I would expect that they'll release character-themed versions of popular game-types on mobile platforms that raise awareness of associated games without cannibalising that game's potential market - eg. releasing a Mariokart game on Android/iOS to promote Mariokart would just satiate some of the kart fever out there. But Releasing a temple-run style of game with a kart-driving protagonist, where you can trade in your coins/gems/whatever the hell for collectables that can be transferred over to the game raises awareness and creates a niggling desire to buy the software so you can cash in your virtual chips. But it won't scratch your MarioKart itch!

Donkey Kong Jungle Match 3! Metroid Café! God help us, Pokemon meets Pocket Frogs!

There are some very encouraging noises around Account management. Very pleasing indeed!

Edit : Oh god, that "relaxing our IP licensing approach" stuff is terrifying. They point out why their characters are so well regarded, then say "**** all that, let's milk Zelda for some money by combining it with a lackluster, shallow hack-n-slash arcade romp." Using your characters in a controlled way to generate awareness is great but farming them out to anyone who wants to use them for "Win Win" relationships is another thing entirely.

Edit : <hit's the QOL section>

What?
    Are they going to fill the streets of Tokyo with levitating blocks filled with gold, to get everyone running and jumping? Because that's what it sounds like he's planning.

Of course if nintendo ever wanted to max out wii u they could release a game , I dunno... Something like a pokemon mmo perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Of course if nintendo ever wanted to max out wii u they could release a game , I dunno... Something like a pokemon mmo perhaps

Nah, would never work. Who'd want that?...

Ok, I'd love that. Stop making me dream :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I forgot Armikrog is coming to the Wii U in July. I backed it before I even had the Wii U, now I'm getting a Steam copy and an eshop copy! Squeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lucario (Pokemon) is the latest fighter announced for Smash Bros

BfTY1EXIQAAajKV.jpg

Good choice, different type of character than the last few announced. Should be interesting playing mechanics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Corholio wrote: »
    Lucario (Pokemon) is the latest fighter announced for Smash Bros

Good choice, different type of character than the last few announced. Should be interesting playing mechanics too.

Kind of surprised by this actually, he was in Brawl and I'd have thought they might go for one of the new X & Y Pokemon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Online is hardly Nintendo's forte though. I'd settle for unified account system!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

DLC for Arkham Origins Cancelled for Wii U.
    WB never wants anyone to buy their games on Nintendo platforms anymore, in a statement released via Nintendo of America.
    NoA refunded the $20 to people who bought the season pass DLC on the eShop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mega evolved lucario ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

mario kart 8 is the game that'll tip the balance for me and make the Wii U a must purchase. I'd say it'll be the same with a lot of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Warning!!! Warning!!! Stupid Question 17 approaching!!!

Can the WiiU be played on a non HD/HD Ready screen?

In other words can my Sony Triniton handle its awesomness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

OwaynOTT wrote: »

No idea tbh but I will say I've played around 90% of my Wii U time on the gamepad.

Wife watching "insert crappy soap here" on the telly and me playing Mario 3D world on the gamepad = good for all concerned.

.... Although I did play it on the telly earlier. Looks amazing as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Got Wonderful 101 today. So that's it now. No more gaming purchases for at least 6 months.

Of course Mario Kart doesn't count since that's a legal requirement or something.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

What inputs does the telly have?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What inputs does the telly have?

Scart, S-video and rf. It can handle rgb and is capable of 100hz.

I don't know, I think that you can get Component cable for it, but dunno about scart. Anyone else know for sure?
    It probably wouldn't look great through scart either, I'd imagine SD res would make some of the text unreadable.

I want a new super monkey ball on wii u

why that not being made yet on that gampad is a shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I want world peace... and more importantly i want more AAA wii u games more mario zelda metroid etc etc....

• Advertisement

I have the wiiu Going into a big ol CRT via scart.
    Far as I remember :
    • It doesn't ship with the cable. If you have a Wii you have the cable you need.
    • you need your TV to do the Wii to vwii xfer, and possibly for initial setup of the wiiu
    • there are a number of tweakable settings, but on a 4:3 ratio telly you can't get the full display, even in letterbox mode.
    • the picture quality is pants next to the gamepad so you will rarely use the telly even when Downton isn't on

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Introduced my housemates to the Wii U today. Plenty of laughs as everyone created their Mii, more laughs with a few rounds of Mario Chase, then someone asks "Do you have that sports game?"

"I do indeed," says I, blowing the dust off the Wii Sports Resort box and the Wii Sports cardboard envelope. Five minutes later (*cough* unskippable "Introduction to the Remote Plus" video *cough*) Sports Resort is up and running and we click on Table Tennis — only to be told that we have no Miis to play with.

So Miis that you create in the Wii U's Mii Maker app aren't automatically fed into the Virtual Wii. But is there perhaps some way to manually transfer 'em? That is my question.

(We continued playing as "guests" in Wii Sports Resort, by the way, with some random pre-created Miis. Scores and progress weren't saved, but a great time was had by all nonetheless :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Introduced my housemates to the Wii U today. Plenty of laughs as everyone created their Mii, more laughs with a few rounds of Mario Chase, then someone asks "Do you have that sports game?"

"I do indeed," says I, blowing the dust off the Wii Sports Resort box and the Wii Sports cardboard envelope. Five minutes later (*cough* unskippable "Introduction to the Remote Plus" video *cough*) Sports Resort is up and running and we click on Table Tennis — only to be told that we have no Miis to play with.

So Miis that you create in the Wii U's Mii Maker app aren't automatically fed into the Virtual Wii. But is there perhaps some way to manually transfer 'em? That is my question.

(We continued playing as "guests" in Wii Sports Resort, by the way, with some random pre-created Miis. Scores and progress weren't saved, but a great time was had by all nonetheless :) )

Not unless you used really boring hair styles and stuff, you could send them to 3ds, then onto wii if you did, but the 3DS and Wii U both added new hair styles etc. to them, and lack of forethought on Nintendo's part makes them unusable on older software.
    It's only excusable because Mii's were added when an e3 crowd loved the idea, so they were hastily added to the Wii.

I want to ask why you didn't play Wii Sports Club?
    Your trial(s) used up or something?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Not unless you used really boring hair styles and stuff, you could send them to 3ds, then onto wii if you did, but the 3DS and Wii U both added new hair styles etc. to them, and lack of forethought on Nintendo's part makes them unusable on older software.
    It's only excusable because Mii's were added when an e3 crowd loved the idea, so they were hastily added to the Wii.

I want to ask why you didn't play Wii Sports Club?
    Your trial(s) used up or something?

i haven't played that trial yet. Is it any good or just more of the same?

i assume you get a few goes then how much does it cost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

i haven't played that trial yet. Is it any good or just more of the same?

i assume you get a few goes then how much does it cost?

The golf game is worth the price tbh, pretty brilliant.
    I reckon a proper physical release is but assured, and a bundle would probably sell a, well, bundle!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The golf game is worth the price tbh, pretty brilliant.
    I reckon a proper physical release is but assured, and a bundle would probably sell a, well, bundle!

how much is it? Id be tempted if the golf is decent

Game have the Lifetime passes for £9 a pop (given that it's an eShop code they should mail you the code, no delivery charge) but you can get 24 hour passes for something around €2 - depends on how long you expect to play it for I guess. Didn't see the Golf on their site but it's a while since I looked, golf is new far as I know.

I presume you can get the same passes from the eShop or by trying to launch an expired trial. Personally I'm waiting for all the sports to get released so I can buy the inevitable bundle pass to unlock them all. Ninty have this bizarre policy of punishing early adopters and rewarding johnny come latelies.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

how much is it? Id be tempted if the golf is decent

From the eShop, each sport is €10. Or you can pay €2 to play all the sports for 24 hours. Bowling, Tennis and Golf are the sports out so far.

abbir wrote: »
    From the eShop, each sport is €10. Or you can pay €2 to play all the sports for 24 hours. Bowling, Tennis and Golf are the sports out so far.

I think Banjo's probably got the right idea wait till they're all out and then see what packages they reward the late comers with.

I might buy one of the tiger woods newer games with the kinect control instead for now. Looks pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I think Banjo's probably got the right idea wait till they're all out and then see what packages they reward the late comers with.

I'm waiting for the retail release of it myself.

Advertisement