Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the next Nintendo Direct will be quite interesting especially considering all these new 'moves' Nintendo plan to make.

I have to say out of all the bad press they've got about marketing the Wii U, and rightly so, the Directs have been a great idea in my opinion. If Nintendo could magnify this sort of idea this year it would make a big difference to sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is there any chance that the recent media storm around the WiiU "failure" was a massive financial gamble on their part to get the Wii U brand out there in the public eye via viral marketing, kill their share price in advance of a potential private buyout and lower expectations so that we'd pathetically grateful for any positive developments on the Wii U Scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Banjo wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the recent media storm around the WiiU "failure" was a massive financial gamble on their part to get the Wii U brand out there in the public eye via viral marketing, kill their share price in advance of a potential private buyout and lower expectations so that we'd pathetically grateful for any positive developments on the Wii U Scene?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I dont think thats the case.

Nintendo made a mess of marketing this generation.

Casual gamers are going to be hard to get back. The Wii was a gadget to many as apposed to a gaming device.

It was bought for the most part by people who may never buy another Nintendo home console or any other console for that matter.

The problem is now they have to get back to the core gamer.

Problem there is only a certain amount of us have any loyalty and will buy the console pretty much no matter what because we know we'll get enough of the first party IP's to justify it as a second console.

In my opinion if they want to get a portion of the market share that is the "core gamer" they will have to release a console with the hardware capable of being on par with the PS4 and XboxOne.

Now I know thats not going to happen. Realistically i think they'll just keep ticking over till the next hardware release. God only knows what they'll do at that stage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Conspiracy Theory forum is that way ---->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is lego city playable on gamepad alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Is lego city playable on gamepad alone?

Nope. It uses the pad for the map and other features.

It's a real shame, as it's an excellent game and the functionality on the gamepad is not really necessary to enjoy the game - a small map overlay in the corner for OffTV would have done, and it's not like you can do much when you get a phone call anyway so the in-game comms system shouldn't have held OTV back.

Was playing Wonderful 101 on OffTV last night, worth noting that very early on you go inside a building - in normal play that moves the display off the TV and on to the pad. When in Off TV mode, there's a green button in the bottom right of the pad screen that brings up picture-in-picture, with a circular arrow pair that lets you move the focus from one screen to the other. Both screens are required to solve the first puzzle you encounter in this mode - be warned!

It's a lot of fun, but I can see how, when the difficulty ramps up, the controls will start to feel a little limiting and frustrating. Wonderize Red!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I never use off tv play so I'm not the best judge but I don't see why they couldn't have put it in Lego City and you bring the map up with a button. The most annoying thing about the game is the loading.

yeah, especially the massive load for the title screen, you press a button and bang! massive load time for the level.

Apparently Off TV requires a fair amount of separate development, so while there's no game-play reason to not include it in the game they may have ditched it in favour of hitting a deadline or budget target, or possibly just adding polish to what they already had. Unlikely they'll patch it in at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So is lego city worth 30 euro? With donkey kong new lego games due to launch would ya bother with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

So is lego city worth 30 euro? With donkey kong new lego games due to launch would ya bother with it?

Have you played other Lego games? If not I'd say give it a whirl. It was the first one I played and I loved it, but it would seem to be more of the same as previous games.

Is it worth it yes it is. That said would I pay €30? Personally probably not at the moment. I reckon you'll get it cheaper than that if youre willing to wait a few months. I got the lego city bundle actually in the black friday sales before xmas. Cool big lego city Wii U box and a physical copy of the game which I didnt expect. Thought it'd be a download code like Zelda.

I'd sell ya my copy but I think I'll keep all Wii U exclusives. Damn the collector in me!

Anyway I played it through, well all the main missions that is, this game is huge make no mistake you could play it for months!

I really enjoyed it for what it was. Lots of good humour with a few genuine lol moments. It has simple but fun missions. As I say you have plenty of side missions and things to collect as well if your into that sort of thing.

Its a right pain in the backside that theres no off tv mode on it. I agree with other posters a little map at the bottom left would have been plenty.
    Other stuff it uses the pad for is tacked on rubbish that isnt necessary.

I wish every game had gamepad mode. Tbh it'd put me off buying a game unless I really badly wanted it. For example if the new Zelda didnt have it I'd be annoyed but I'd still buy it but would I have bought Lego City probably not unless it was say 15 euro or something. Again not that its not worth more but I rarely get tv time. Off TV play should be mandatory!

I'm considering a gaming laptop as my next device for this reason. PS4 is my second option with Vita remote play but its a small screen to be playing all your ps4 games on really.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

I got it for approx €5 + tokens won off a website. I'm glad I got it but I'm almost exclusively an OffTV Player, so in the... 3? 4? months since I got it I've played maybe 2 hours total. And because it's an auto-save only title, a big chunk of that was me having to restart and watch the opening video again 'cause it doesn't do an initial autosave until AFTER you leave the Police Station for the first time.

I've only played Lego titles on DS and 3DS, and they felt very boxed-in. Having a massive overworld to explore is great, driving around in cars made of lego that break apart and go on fire appeals to the psychotic 5 year old that lives inside me (I swallowed his football for a bet and he crawled in after it - now I can't get him out!) but you have to love, and I mean REALLY love collecting things by running over them.

One great thing about not having Off TV is it forces you to play with sound, which is important - some of the dialogue is hilarious. My kids love Frank Honey.

Watch Dogs for Wii U NOT cancelled, but will come at a later date than Xbox One and PS4, Ubisoft announced in a conference call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And then they'll wonder why it didn't sell well on Wii U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Be worth the wait :) I finally started 3D world, and its so fecking brilliant :pac:

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And then they'll wonder why it didn't sell well on Wii U

Yeah if I wanted it badly I'd get it on 360 now instead. That said I'll probably wait for it on the Wii U in the hope they let me play it on the gamepad.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Be worth the wait :) I finally started 3D world, and its so fecking brilliant :pac:

3D World is just great. The only thing that could take me away from it lately has been Hotline Miami on the Vita which is also fantastic in a very different way though.

3D World has some of the nicest visuals I've ever seen in computer games. The colours just pop off the screen. In particular the boss levels I think look just wonderful. Water or lava etc.. Bowser looks amazing!

Watch Dogs is likely to get DLC. Now, the quality and how worthwhile it'll be the own the DLC is an open question, but if people want the option the Wii U is probably not the system to get. It seems it gets screwed on DLC every time. And like the point that was mentioned earlier, 'they'll wonder why it doesn't do as well on Wii U'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Watch Dogs is likely to get DLC. Now, the quality and how worthwhile it'll be the own the DLC is an open question, but if people want the option the Wii U is probably not the system to get. It seems it gets screwed on DLC every time. And like the point that was mentioned earlier, 'they'll wonder why it doesn't do as well on Wii U'.

I'll buy you the DLC if possible if Ubisoft actually release story-based DLC for Watch Dogs after the first 6 months.
    I'm this positive they will drop support.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'll buy you the DLC if possible if Ubisoft actually release story-based DLC for Watch Dogs after the first 6 months.
    I'm this positive they will drop support.
    Drop support of Watch Dogs? That's a highly unqualified statement. Do you really mean it to be so? I think they're looking to have a new franchise on their hands, and dropping support of Watch Dogs... Well, to say that isn't conducive to such a thing would be an understatement.

New Nintendo game hinted at in the latest Issue of Nintendo Official Magazine. What it actually says:

“OOOOOH! New Wii U game! (And no, it isn’t F-Zero or Star Fox).”

All will be revealed in the April Issue of NOM

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Drop support of Watch Dogs? That's a highly unqualified statement. Do you really mean it to be so? I think they're looking to have a new franchise on their hands, and dropping support of Watch Dogs... Well, to say that isn't conducive to such a thing would be an understatement.

On Wii U.
    Also, the people who made the original game have left the company, or at least one of them.
    Corholio wrote: »
    New Nintendo game hinted at in the latest Issue of Nintendo Official Magazine. What it actually says:

“OOOOOH! New Wii U game! (And no, it isn’t F-Zero or Star Fox).”

All will be revealed in the April Issue of NOM

An editor tweeted it was an indie game.
    Pretty clever on their part though, list 2 First Party IP to get you to think it was a First Party game.
    http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2014/02/09/onm-clarify-new-wii-u-game-tease-something-indie-cool/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nintendo y no starfox :(

cloud493 wrote: »
    Nintendo y no starfox :(

Do a barrel roll

10pm UK time? I wonder is there any reason for the usual time change.

To allow more US people to see it perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just finished Super Mario 3d world there. I never wanted it to end and lo and behold after beating bowser (twice) there was another level. Got to the end of that and need another 21 stars to access the last stage but I have other games to play. Maybe in a year or so. Had a quick go on the free luigi game but too frustrating so on to Rayman now!

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    10pm UK time? I wonder is there any reason for the usual time change.

To allow more US people to see it perhaps?

The twitterverse is speaking of X and bayonetta 2(maybe even 1) information.
    Mainly because key players from platinum and monolith have retweeted the direct.
    The monolith person has only retweeted when info on X was released around June.
    The platinum guy is a writer for the bayonetta series. Not sure of their tweeting past.
    Hype.jpg
    lol, I'm not expecting much, but it would be nice to see more from those two games.

Advertisement