Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Going to sell my Wii U soon. Just hasn't been played at all since December. I bought alot of games for it and controllers etc but it's just gathering dust. Newer games just don't do it for me I suppose, prefer the retro ones and any new games/multiplayer games I do play, I play on PC. I`ll take replaying Super Mario World over Super Mario World 3D for example, that might sound sad to some people though. Lack of games would be a big reason one too, there isn't one decent racing game on it you can play online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

nuxxx wrote: »
    Going to sell my Wii U soon. Just hasn't been played at all since December. I bought alot of games for it and controllers etc but it's just gathering dust. Newer games just don't do it for me I suppose, prefer the retro ones and any new games/multiplayer games I do play, I play on PC. I`ll take replaying Super Mario World over Super Mario World 3D for example, that might sound sad to some people though.

Dude, I feel the same, there is nothing making me turn it on for months, only the eshop stuff when things are on sale, and the VC, some great games on there for cheap but it's just not enough/cutting it. I don't think I am going to sell it but if things don't pick up by the summer it will be put back in its box and packed away.

3ds, GameCube, ps2, 3 and vita seem to be doing all the work for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have to say I'm kind of sick of this there's no games on it comment.

No games you're interested in fair enough but if you've bought a wii u I assume u have some interest in Nintendo first party games. And if that's true you have 2 mario games, HD zelda windwaker, pikmin 3 and a new donkey kong game all out right now. If there was never another game on the console that would keep ya busy for a long time and personally it would justify a console purchase just for those games.

If you want a racing game or shooter online the wii u was a poor choice.

I play the odd bit of online shooting with Halo 4 on my 360. If I wanted to play racing I'd play forza.

The wii u is what it is. I bought it for the first party Nintendo titles which there is a more than adequate amount of out already and more coming this year like mario kart and smash bros. was looking at a mario kart trailer today on YouTube btw and it looks amazing!

I also use it a lot for gamepad use and playing games that I wanted to play on 360 but just couldn't due to tv time.
    Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City and Deus Ex for example I simply never found the tv time for but now I play them on the gamepad I'll be able to complete them. Deus ex I still have in its shrink wrap on a shelf I'd say nearly from launch on 360.

Maybe it's just me but I don't get what all the hate is for wii u at the moment. Lack of games when there's plenty, the console is too expensive when in fact it's far cheaper than the other two current gen machines, it's underpowered, eh look at Mario 3D world and tell me that does t look like one of the best looking games you've ever seen. It's beautiful to look at, etc ...

/rant

/rant

I'm not hating on the Wii U but come on man the games aren't that great, even the first party games. I played windwaker 10 years ago. Mass effect 3 I finished ages ago on my PC, Arkham city runs at like 20 FPS and Dues Ex was released ages ago on PC and other consoles.

First party nintendo games to me are F-zero, Metroid, Zelda and so far there has been nothing. I completed new super bros U and it wasn't great at all. Mario 3D world is a nice game, but compared to Mario Galaxy 2 or SMW etc, it's just not up there imo.

The controller setup is a mess too, I spent nearly 100e on joypads and still have to switch in and out during games, I'm a huge nintendo fanboy. I don't think its much to expect a decent racing game on a system well over a year since it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm not hating on the Wii U but come on man the games aren't that great, even the first party games. I played windwaker 10 years ago. Mass effect 3 I finished ages ago on my PC, Arkham city runs at like 20 FPS and Dues Ex was released ages ago on PC and other consoles.

First party nintendo games to me are F-zero, Metroid, Zelda and so far there has been nothing. I completed new super bros U and it wasn't great at all. Mario 3D world is a nice game, but compared to Mario Galaxy 2 or SMW etc, it's just not up there imo.

The controller setup is a mess too, I spent nearly 100e on joypads and still have to switch in and out during games, I'm a huge nintendo fanboy. I don't think its much to expect a decent racing game on a system well over a year since it was released
    Google a game called mariokart 8 only a small nintendo game but you might get some use out of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Donkey kong is tough.... jaysus its a while since i thought that about a 2d platform...

Playing all old marios from eshop oh the nostalgia

Google a game called mariokart 8 only a small nintendo game but you might get some use out of it :rolleyes:

I've been playing the original since I was 6 years old, but yeah I never heard of it. :rolleyes: New mario karts are just luck based, if you enjoy them thats fair enough, no need for the rolleyes

I've been playing the original since I was 6 years old, but yeah I never heard of it. :rolleyes: New mario karts are just luck based, if you enjoy them thats fair enough, no need for the rolleyes

The rolleyes werent put in to wind u up trust me im just takin mickey out of myself for stating mariokart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sega All Stars Racing Transformed isn't bad either if you like the Mario Kart-esque genre.

I have to agree though there haven't really been any serious racing games for it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Every third party game I bought runs at at least 30 frames per second, because my eyes have fraps installed and the fps is shown at the top left of my eyeballs.

Granted, I've only bought nfs, mh, sc, and some others I forget the names of.
    Badly-optimised lazy ports will play like cats pijama's on any console.

• Advertisement

Batman doesn't its like 20 fps at best gliding from building to building

Anyone else raging that mariogolf world tour isnt coming to wii u? Gonna have to buy a 3dsxl now :(

If you have a pc I assume you weren't buying the wii u for dumbed down 3rd party games past or present so I don't get that point you make. It suits someone like me for remote playing these games poor ports in your opinion or not.

I completely disagree with your first point. The 1st party games so far have been superb. I didn't play windwaker when it came out so for me it's a new experience for you obviously not but that's only one game plus from what I've heard plenty of GameCube owners loved the HD remake. As for games coming you shouldn't buy a console for games you hope will come out you buy it for its current selection. Future titles are a bonus.

Personally I disagree with the controller too the gamepad is fine. I've played on it plenty of times for its full battery life without any issues.

Again on the driving game end of things you have a pc surely there's one or two on that for you play.

The only people imo who can feel aggrieved in some way are those who bought day one expecting more. People who have bought in the last year or so knew what they were buying.

This isn't just about you now nuxxx it's about people in general. It's like the wii u is an easy target so they just bad mouth it. It's a great console with certain limitations. Personally as it stands I'd take a wii u waaaaaay ahead of a ps4 or XboxOne. In playing mostly wii u and vita games since Xmas and loving them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I have to be honest, since about July, the Wii U has been my most played console easily. I think the games have been excellent so far and there's no way I regret my Day 1 purchase. I'm playing DK at the moment and I'm loving absolutely every minute. 3D World was my favourite game of last year, while Pikmin, Wonderful 101 and Rayman (as it was originally meant) weren't far behind. Wind Waker was amazing and was an example of how to remake and improve upon an original.

My most anticipated games this year are all Wii U as well. MK 8 (7 put a lot ofthe skill back into it, I'm hoping 8 continues this), Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2. Then of course there's whatever Nintendo might announce (please new Metroid :o) and also X, which would be with the other 3 but it mightn't make 2014.

In summary, I'm absolutely loving my Wii U :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ah in fairness, Nuxxx has a point.
    There are very few "serious" games on the WiiU and those that are there are ports of old games. The majority of Nintendo's 1st party output - Metroid Prime is the obvious exception - is fun, usually with a side of whimsy wedges and a dollop of zanimole. And that's fine, that's the niche that they carved for themselves, but there's no point complaining about losing a huge chunk of the market when you're not catering for them. There are people out there, (wrong though they may be :)) who want to play games that are a little more grown up.

Mariokart is great fun but it is geared towards ensuring that the further back the field you are the greater your chances are of catching up through the use of power-ups, and the further out in front you are the less dependent on skill your ability to finish there becomes. This is great for party games or family games - you don't want anyone to be totally humiliated or unable to compete - but sometimes you want to play a game where skill is rewarded above all else, and where if you are good enough to lap your opponents 3 times then by christ that's what you're going to do.

Miyamoto is not the man for this job. He already has a job, and I don't want him to stop doing it. But he needs a counterpart. A Venom to his Spidey. A Beaker to his Bunsen. A Fred to his Adam.

I love my Wii U. I have loved all my Nintendo consoles and I've never owned a console from another company (although my C64 had a cart port on the back, that came close :) ) so please understand I'm saying this out of love. Nintendo needs to accept that a huge chunk of their fanbase grew up, and maybe a small part of them needs to too.

Incidentally, they could do this easily by releasing a Mariokart that lets you turn customise the rules for powerups and a Pokemon that let you specify Nuzlocke modifiers. Charge a fiver for the download. It's a money-printing machine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You say that as if Miyamoto is creating everything that comes out of Nintendo when he hasn't been directly involved in a game since the first Pikmin and is only in an advisory role right now.

Honestly, if you bought a WiiU for ports of PS3 and 360 games... why didn't you just keep those consoles? They were never going to be anything more than lazy ports.

There's only a few good games on the WiiU at the moment but at least it has a handful of exceptional games. The XBox One and PS4 really don't have anything on them either. You don't buy a launch console expecting amazing games in the first year, in fact the WiiU has been pretty good at offering up a lot of good games after launch, more so than most consoles.

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, Nuxxx has a point.
    There are very few "serious" games on the WiiU and those that are there are ports of old games. The majority of Nintendo's 1st party output - Metroid Prime is the obvious exception - is fun, usually with a side of whimsy wedges and a dollop of zanimole. And that's fine, that's the niche that they carved for themselves, but there's no point complaining about losing a huge chunk of the market when you're not catering for them. There are people out there, (wrong though they may be :)) who want to play games that are a little more grown up.

I love my Wii U. I have loved all my Nintendo consoles and I've never owned a console from another company (although my C64 had a cart port on the back, that came close :) ) so please understand I'm saying this out of love. Nintendo needs to accept that a huge chunk of their fanbase grew up, and maybe a small part of them needs to too.

Yes theres very few "serious" games if you want to put it like that but again I'll point out that Nuxxx himself has a PC for these type of games as do most.

And Banjo you are most definately the exception as apposed to the rule in the case of you only owning nintendo consoles. Most of us at least another one to play different types of games on if/when wanted.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

Honestly, if you bought a WiiU for ports of PS3 and 360 games... why didn't you just keep those consoles? They were never going to be anything more than lazy ports.

Personally I bought it for 1st party nintendo games but the 3rd party stuff is a nice addition. I have a young child, wife and only one telly so tv time isnt as available as it once was so for me I'm very very small amount of my gaming time on the tv hence remote play being great for me to at least experience games that otherwise I really just wouldnt. Deus ex for example I had on 360 for ages and never played it. I now have it for wii u and I definately will get to play it. I'm using the Vita for the same reason. For example playing walking dead on it at the moment. Love the sleep mode on the vita. Pity there isnt one on the wii u gamepad.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I have to be honest, since about July, the Wii U has been my most played console easily. I think the games have been excellent so far and there's no way I regret my Day 1 purchase. I'm playing DK at the moment and I'm loving absolutely every minute. 3D World was my favourite game of last year, while Pikmin, Wonderful 101 and Rayman (as it was originally meant) weren't far behind. Wind Waker was amazing and was an example of how to remake and improve upon an original.

My most anticipated games this year are all Wii U as well. MK 8 (7 put a lot ofthe skill back into it, I'm hoping 8 continues this), Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2. Then of course there's whatever Nintendo might announce (please new Metroid :o) and also X, which would be with the other 3 but it mightn't make 2014.

In summary, I'm absolutely loving my Wii U :).

Me too i love my wii u and i bought all the old mario games aaaaahhhhhhhh stop buying games......

Yes theres very few "serious" games if you want to put it like that but again I'll point out that Nuxxx himself has a PC for these type of games as do most.

I have a PC. I just don't have the time to use the damned thing. But why is that acceptable, that all the other gaming platforms are ok for serious games and somehow Nintendo isn't? That somehow you cannot be entirely satisfied with the one console? Sony aren't happy to take that attitude. Microsoft aren't. Hell, the PC has options. The console market has shrunk thanks to the prevalence of smartphones and tablets, and while financially they can afford to ignore most of what's left, they need to think of a future - a future where there aren't still a bunch of people who grew up on Ninty products that will give them the benefit of the doubt.

@Retro, I didn't mean to imply that Miyamoto is in a room somewhere churning out AAA cute platformers night and day, it's just that he's become a symbol of the Nintendo software ethos. And he needs an evil but equally Nintendo-bound nemesis. A black label figurehead for moderate budget, creator-owned, mildly experimental, teen-or-older-oriented titles where fun is a byproduct of challenge and not the other way around.

Lack of RPG's is annoying, Is there even one on the system? I don't want to bash any Wii U owners I just gave my opinion of the Wii U here and hope you get good use out of it. I'm throwing mine up on adverts now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    I have a PC. I just don't have the time to use the damned thing. But why is that acceptable, that all the other gaming platforms are ok for serious games and somehow Nintendo isn't?

Nobody is saying Nintendo isn't.
    But the games aren't being made for the Wii U at the minute. That's not entirely down to Nintendo, nor should it be entirely attributed to them. If companies decide not to bother developing for the Wii U, then they can't force them to!

Lack of RPG's is annoying, Is there even one on the system? I don't want to bash any Wii U owners I just gave my opinion of the Wii U here and hope you get good use out of it. I'm throwing mine up on adverts now

Opinions are always welcome.

My thoughts/opinions...

You use RPG as an example of why youre selling.

Well Xenoblade on the Wii wasnt exactly an early release but most RPG fans will tell you it was worth the wait.

You've given a system 15 months assuming you bought at launch.

It'll be interesting to see whether the PS4 or Xbox One have much better line ups after the same 15 month period. I think both in time like the Wii U will have great line ups but in the first 15 months vs the Wii U I doubt they'll do any better.

So far they havent lit the world on fire with their line ups not that expected them to but my point is you have to give a console time before giving up on it.

I've already mentioned if you dont particularly like the Nintendo games your right to sell it as it doesnt look likely to change 3rd party wise in the near future.

That said you mentioned you have a pc so I'm still baffled as to why you want to play 3rd party games on your wii u plus if you werent a fan of Nintendo games why buy a wii u?

Theres more than enough 3rd party games, fighting, fps, racing etc.. available on the pc. The wii u should be the perfect fit for you if you have any interest in anything Nintendo.

Genuinely interested, not trying to stir the pot here, just genuinely makes no sense to me. :confused:

Personally I think youre selling waaaay too early in its lifecycle with probably a lot more to come like zelda, X, smash bros, MK8, etc.. but thats your choice man and good luck with the sale.

Nobody is saying Nintendo isn't.
    But the games aren't being made for the Wii U at the minute. That's not entirely down to Nintendo, nor should it be entirely attributed to them. If companies decide not to bother developing for the Wii U, then they can't force them to!

I'd disagree with you there. It *is* up to them. If you want wide appeal you need to have a wide portfolio of software, and you're not going to get that without the output from a wide variety of publishers. Those publishers have already written this platform off, rightly or wrongly, and it's the manufacturer's responsibility to show them that their kind of software WILL sell if it's something more than just a lazy port, just as it's the manufacturer's responsibility to show the potential players that this console has something for them. Assuming, that is, they want this platform to sell by the bucketload, that they want it to be a success. And that is a big assumption judging by the lack of advertising in advance of the WiiU's launch. They should lead from the front.

Alternatively, they can settle happily into their comfortable rut of producing excellent, fun, cute games for a dwindling audience and stop apologising for poor sales volumes.

Edit: Also, quite a lot of people are saying "Nintendo isn't" - the typical response to "where is game-type X" is "if you want that, buy a PC/XBox/PS" and not just on this forum. Obviously I'm talking about anecdotal people of the type that don't provide facts, figures or piecharts to support my statement, but there is a general feeling that this is not a Primary console. Snes-era Nintendo would not have settled for that, and N64 Nintendo certainly wasn't happy about it. They seem to have just accepted their lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just back from the Lego Movie and it made me want to go back to Lego City Undercover.

But was wondering, has anybody heard about the Wii U version of the Lego Movie game? Like how is it in comparison to Lego City? Or does it have more in common with the other Lego games?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's quite good actually. I rate it up there with most of the other Lego games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Good to hear, I'd been tempted to get it, especially as the E-Store price is €10 cheaper than the other platforms!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Try ebay for a download code... loads of people bought collector wii u like myself and sold the code

Ah balls I didn't realise it was only a code, are the mario games in the Mario bundle the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah balls I didn't realise it was only a code, are the mario games in the Mario bundle the same?

I think you get a disc with both Mario Bros U and Luigi U on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've joined you, my Nintendo-loving brethren :) Bought a used Wii U yesterday, got a nice bundle of accessories (incl. Wii Pro Controller and Wii Remote) and five games for €250, looking forward to breaking it in over the next few months. Will still be primarily a PC gamer but it certainly looks good sitting beneath the TV!

My current games:

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
    - Zelda Windwaker HD
    - Pikmin 3
    - ZombiU
    - Batman Arkham City

I already have completed Arkham City on the PC so will sell that on Adverts, but am I right in thinking that Super Mario World 3D and Nintendoland are two good games to pick up as well? Obviously people are raving about the former, and I want the latter for parties and general casual gaming with my wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

ionapaul wrote: »
    I already have completed Arkham City on the PC so will sell that on Adverts, but am I right in thinking that Super Mario World 3D and Nintendoland are two good games to pick up as well? Obviously people are raving about the former, and I want the latter for parties and general casual gaming with my wife.

Super Mario 3D World is a must buy.

Probably not for everyone but I've had a lot of fun with Nintendoland, even playing some of the games single player. The DK game and the Metroid games being my favourites. Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion games are great when you've got a few people around. Same with the Zelda and Metroid games but with Metroid you need people who are competent at playing games, it's not really for the inexperienced! You can probably pick it up cheaply so I would recommend it if you can.

Advertisement