Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Maybe I should keep this for that Unpopular Opinions thread, but i just don't dig Smash Bros. I really wish i did. I have the Cube one and the Wii one...i just find them chaotic and boring.

And I really have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Maybe I should keep this for that Unpopular Opinions thread, but i just don't dig Smash Bros. I really wish i did. I have the Cube one and the Wii one...i just find them chaotic and boring.

And I really have tried.

I'm grateful that Smash Bros singlehandedly kept the Mother series as a thing within Nintendo-verse, but I'd be of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I felt the same early on with Smash, but with every game I grew to love it and by Brawl I was a big fan. They took something that could, let's be honest, have been absolutely disastrous and turned it into a top quality fighter with depth to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok, I am not a Smash fan at all, its chaotic as Ol' Donie has said as well.

Releasing the 3DS version before (prob 6-9 months (dec-feb2015) before) the Wii U version is a good and a bad thing. Yes all of us with Wii U's wanna see sales pick up and after MK8 there will be more Wii U's out in the wild during the Summer and they could sell loads of copies of Smash on the Wii U, BUT, releasing Smash on the 3DS first to 45 million people as opposed to 5-6 million world wide Wii U owners, will get the game out there for 6 or so months and people who never played it (younger people) will try it and may like it so could maybe invest in a Wii U system at Xmas to get Smash on it, as I would think the Wii U version on the game will be much bigger and fleshed out.

So its a good thing from Nintendo perpective but bad thing for Wii U owners at the moment.

God, I wish i had some interest in Smash, I might pick up the 3DS one in the summer, maybe it will be a less chaotic version and a little easier to get into to get more people into the more 'Harcore' version on the Wii U.

Either way, the WiiU is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I enjoy Smash Bros. It really only comes into it's element when it's played in local multiplayer though, in my honest opinion. That's where the chaotic element becomes fun, as you're grouped together in one part of the map, and then the mad dash to rush to another part of the map to grab an item drop before your opponents could, so you could beat seven bells out of them with the baseball bat, knock them off the stage, and wait around the edge while they tried to jump back on, just to knock them flying into the distance at the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm sorry to say I've never played a Smash Bros game. I know I know!!

Even though I owned a Wii it was a short lived experience and sold on from lack of use so I didnt play it on that.
    The gamecube passed me by due to the PS2.
    I had an N64 but was too busy playing Mario Kart, Goldeneye, ISS 64 and WWF games so didnt play it then.

I dont know if I'll like it to be honest. I'm an old school Tekken and Street Fighter fan. I like things simple. I didnt take to Street Fighter 4 as its just too much to learn for my liking. Too many specials and button configurations, etc...

Tekken 3 or original Tekken Tag are seriously good fighting games. They got a bit fast and overcomplicated with juggling etc thereafter.
    Street Fighter 2 is still the best imo. Simple but brilliant. Everyone loves street fighter!

So yeah seen as I've already missed at least 3 versions of a Nintendo game that gets a lot of plaudits I probably should hop aboard this one.

I'm assuming theres depth to the gameplay but simple enough that it'll bring in kids and lazy people like me unlike the likes of Street Fighter 4 where when you play online you may as well just put the controller down and take your beating!

So I gave Injustice another go last night. Only the second time since I purchased it.

Its really not a bad game at all. I was pretty impressed if I'm honest. Gonna give it more of a go over the weekend.

Played as Green Latern and loved his moveset.

Anyone play it at all?

Must look into seeing can you hook up a fightstick to the Wii U. I have my Namco Arcade stick that I use for PS2 and Xbox360 with a converter. On first glance at ebay I cant see a ps2 to Wii U converter/adapter. :mad: Hate playing these games on joypads. Just not the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have an official Wii fightstick purchased in Tokyo years ago. It looked awesome.

Mario Kart come onnnn, I need you :(

I have an official Wii fightstick purchased in Tokyo years ago. It looked awesome.

Mario Kart come onnnn, I need you :(

Yeah I cant wait at this stage. Must put my preorder in actually.

In anticipation of MK8 I was playing a bit of Mario Kart Super Circuit on the DS yesterday. What a great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Did anyone else get that gamestop email? 10% off Wii U stuff for level 1 loyalty card people, 20% for level 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've been playing the story mode of Injustice off and on, it is good fun but I'm not sure I could hack it against a player. Plot is great fun though if you like your Elseworlds... The Laterns are a good laugh

Did you manage to access the DLC? (Lobo, Zod, MK Scorpion and someone else, plus some costume packs) When I go to the eShop there's no DLC available but I can clearly see them on the character select screen. I think it's a country code thing but since the Ninty Network ID came along you cannot easily change the location assigned to your account. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

cloud493 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get that gamestop email? 10% off Wii U stuff for level 1 loyalty card people, 20% for level 3?

I got my first email from gamestop today (recently signed up to it) entitled lego hobbit, doesnt say anything about discounts though, where did you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Banjo wrote: »
    I've been playing the story mode of Injustice off and on, it is good fun but I'm not sure I could hack it against a player. Plot is great fun though if you like your Elseworlds... The Laterns are a good laugh

Did you manage to access the DLC? (Lobo, Zod, MK Scorpion and someone else, plus some costume packs) When I go to the eShop there's no DLC available but I can clearly see them on the character select screen. I think it's a country code thing but since the Ninty Network ID came along you cannot easily change the location assigned to your account. :(
    I'm the same with injustice. Haven't played much at all but might try it again tonight after half nine if you're on for a match?

Anyone else having an issue getting online?

It's as if my internets down which it's not as in postin this from my iPod touch and was playin online on the vita earlier.

Is it a Nintendo problem or is it just me?

It starts when I power up saying its checking availability of online services then I get error 103-1401 could not connect to wifi network, check network etc...

So I can't get on to he shop or online etc...

Any help mucho appreciated.

Edit.... Restarted modem. Problem solved

Just started my trial of Wii sports club.

The masters has me wanting to play golf and seen as I can't play real golf this suits.

That said it seems I'm rubbish at this golf too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

garyegt wrote: »
    I got my first email from gamestop today (recently signed up to it) entitled lego hobbit, doesnt say anything about discounts though, where did you see it?

Email from GameStop,

Just started my trial of Wii sports club.

The masters has me wanting to play golf and seen as I can't play real golf this suits.

That said it seems I'm rubbish at this golf too!!

Replying to my own comment feels a little sad but just to give ye a quick few thoughts on the Wii U sports club collection.

I played all three games yesterday evening.

Tennis: A complete joke just awful. Not worth €1 never mind €10.

Bowling: Is decent. Personally I prefer the bowling on the 360 but if you haven't got a kinect and a 360 the Wii U game here is worth a go. Again is it worth the €10, probably not but its not bad.

Golf: Best of the 3 games by a long shot IMO. I thought the game pad on the ground would be a terrible gimmick but its weird it makes you look down at the ball like you would in real golf. Again I'm no golfer but this made me feel like I was playing golf which is what your after playing these games. Yes they have to be fun but you need to feel in control and the golf IMO makes you feel you're having an impact based on your swing strength etc..
    I'm considering a full purchase. Gonna try a couple of kinect versions as well before I pick my golf game.
    €10 is a fair price for the golf game.

Online worked really well with no slow down or glitches etc, and I no problem getting a game. Really enjoyed playing 3hole golf in particular online. Your pitted against 2 other opponents on 3 random holes. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Replying to my own comment feels a little sad but just to give ye a quick few thoughts on the Wii U sports club collection.

I played all three games yesterday evening.

Tennis: A complete joke just awful. Not worth €1 never mind €10.

Bowling: Is decent. Personally I prefer the bowling on the 360 but if you haven't got a kinect and a 360 the Wii U game here is worth a go. Again is it worth the €10, probably not but its not bad.

Golf: Best of the 3 games by a long shot IMO. I thought the game pad on the ground would be a terrible gimmick but its weird it makes you look down at the ball like you would in real golf. Again I'm no golfer but this made me feel like I was playing golf which is what your after playing these games. Yes they have to be fun but you need to feel in control and the golf IMO makes you feel you're having an impact based on your swing strength etc..
    I'm considering a full purchase. Gonna try a couple of kinect versions as well before I pick my golf game.
    €10 is a fair price for the golf game.

Online worked really well with no slow down or glitches etc, and I no problem getting a game. Really enjoyed playing 3hole golf in particular online. Your pitted against 2 other opponents on 3 random holes. Nice.
    Interesting I think tennis is the best of the three, I've spent many a night sitting up drinking beer playing this online and it works great.
    If you want a bit of an advantage over your opponent online select 2 player and use the two controllers one hand for each mii works great;-)
    I've had great battles with some high ranked players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

g7gazhoko9zo80jhelvi.gif

All Hail the virtual boy \(^-^)/

In other news I finally picked up Super Mario 3D world yesterday and so far put nearly 3 hours into it. 3D world may be the prettiest game I ever played in a long time and the music , gameplay and level design is all outstanding.

@Murphyebass : How do they compare to the original Wii Sports games? The same? Better? Worse?

• Advertisement

@Murphyebass : How do they confirm to the original Wii Sports games? The same? Better? Worse?

AFAIK, they're mostly the same, with some little tweaks, added content and the added sensitivity that comes from the Motion Plus controllers.

I've only tried the bowling so far, and I really enjoyed the added challenge in single player, the "Knock down as many as you can from this insane amount of pins in a crazy layout"* mode.

*May not be the actual name...

@Murphyebass : How do they compare to the original Wii Sports games? The same? Better? Worse?

I didn't play the original much. Just the bowling and in fairness it was a long while ago. And since then I've played the kinect more so hard to even remember tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So... is there any way to enable HDMI 5.1 Audio Passthrough on the WiiU?

Watching Netflix in Stereo when the system is sitting there doing nothing is starting to annoy me.

I've only tried the bowling so far, and I really enjoyed the added challenge in single player, the "Knock down as many as you can from this insane amount of pins in a crazy layout"* mode

Pretty sure the original had that mode - where you get a triangle of pins with hundreds of pins in it? Either that or I had an awesomely prescient dream...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MrVestek wrote: »
    So... is there any way to enable HDMI 5.1 Audio Passthrough on the WiiU?

Watching Netflix in Stereo when the system is sitting there doing nothing is starting to annoy me.

Wii U supports LCPM 5.1 only:
    Connect your WiiU via HDMI to an AV Receiver or HTiB that supports LPCM 5.1. Then connect AVR/HTiB to TV/Monitor with HDMI.

Code:

WiiU > HDMI > AV Receiver/HTiB > HDMI > TV/Monitor
    |
    5.1 Sound (LPCM only)

Pretty sure the original had that mode - where you get a triangle of pins with hundreds of pins in it? Either that or I had an awesomely prescient dream...

The triangle of 100 pins was in the old one, yes, the new version has a bunch of different shapes that you've to try to wipe out.

Don't remember seeing it mentioned here either, but there's a new Princess Peach Wii remote coming out, to match the Mario and Luigi ones.
    nintendo-wii-remote-princess-peach.jpg

I'm tempted to get the three wiimotes above but my OCD would be annoyed not having a 4th as a set. I know they could release another on but I dont think I could deal with it if they didnt. So Nintendo release a Bowser one or something so I can go get all 4.

They look really cool btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

That would match my face.

Just started Deus Ex. Jesus its hard. I'm pretty sure I was playing a tutorial but was still handed my arse by 4 mercs. About 10 times before I learned to use cover and move about. Miss my taser though... Paul Denton would not be proud of me...

Have to say, the 40 minutes of unskippable credits on AC III were a little excessive.

• Advertisement

Just started Deus Ex. Jesus its hard. I'm pretty sure I was playing a tutorial but was still handed my arse by 4 mercs. About 10 times before I learned to use cover and move about. Miss my taser though... Paul Denton would not be proud of me...

Have to say, the 40 minutes of unskippable credits on AC III were a little excessive.

Yeah I have played up to the first boss. I got pummelled by him and haven't played it since. Will go back to it soon. Got side tracked playing through the Injustice story which was more interesting than I thought it'd be.
    Must go back and give the boss another go later. I think there's a pretty steep learning curve in the game as well. I felt up to this point I've just been learning as I went. Te likes of hacking more by luck and combat takes a bit of getting used to. Still an f'in great game though.

Advertisement