Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Steep? It's a f*(^ing cliff! The first firefight - which I think is only there to prove you can find the trigger button - is like the north face of the Eiger.

Incidentally, I don't think you can stealth it up - I snuck past the 2nd room with the 4 guys in it and couldn't trigger the next event. And while I was running around trying to move the plot on I heard "Over there!" then the screen went red. Again...

In retrospect, I think they were very cruel in how they named the Difficulty levels. I had to choose Give Me Deus Ex`, which is the hard level. I'm not some console pansy, I'm ex-PC, we're the gaming equivalent of those ex-SWAT/Special Forces/1st Recon guys who are often the heroes of first person shooters. Of course, the fact that I'm without my precious mouse and keyboard, and so can't headshot a gnat from 1000 yards (or a hostile merc from 3 feet) is a bit of a set back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw Darksiders 2 in Xtravision for €10 and Splinter Cell in Smyths for €10. Both used. Trying to decide if I want them. Haven't played the other Splinter Cells. Of course may fall into the decision of buy now, think later.

Currently playing Wind Waker HD. I think in my old age, I've gotten worse at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Buy now, think later is a great phrase! Nicely sums up most of my game shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Buy now, think later is a great phrase! Nicely sums up most of my game shopping.

Yeah but it's only when you look at your backlog that you realise how silly it can be. If you buy a game at launch or near to it and don't play it for ages which we've all done it would have been cheaper to wait and buy it later. Easier said than done. I'm getting better at buying when I want to play and getting through my backlog but its all too easy to buy buy buy. 1st world problems at their best

Yeah, the buy now, think later philosophy only comes into play when see games for cheap. Still mightn't get to them but at least you didn't spend as much. :) Only games I buy at release are those I know I'll play right away like Zelda, Last of Us, Arkham Origins and will be getting MK8 at release but only cos I want that shell.

And yes, my backlog is a wee bit out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anyone know why Transformers Prime is so expensive in some stores?

£91.95
    £85.37 [German Version]
    £115.95 Wii Version
    All above £70stg here
    €61.99 - Zavvi

Yet it can easily be bought for £20 @ Base or Amazon

It's the only game I've seen that has such big price variations. Or is it supposed to be crazy money, and one amazon seller and Base are just selling it very cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw Darksiders 2 in Xtravision for €10 and Splinter Cell in Smyths for €10. Both used. Trying to decide if I want them. Haven't played the other Splinter Cells. Of course may fall into the decision of buy now, think later.

Currently playing Wind Waker HD. I think in my old age, I've gotten worse at games.
    Splinter cell is great in single player and I too got it in smyths for a tenner. Haven't tried multiplayer yet. Darksiders is like Zelda and God of War all mixed in a blender. Good craic but I have to get back to it after only getting a few hours in and seeing the many hours ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

So Miis that you create in the Wii U's Mii Maker app aren't automatically fed into the Virtual Wii. But is there perhaps some way to manually transfer 'em? That is my question.
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    Not unless you used really boring hair styles and stuff, you could send them to 3ds, then onto wii if you did, but the 3DS and Wii U both added new hair styles etc. to them, and lack of forethought on Nintendo's part makes them unusable on older software.
    It's only excusable because Mii's were added when an e3 crowd loved the idea, so they were hastily added to the Wii.

I want to ask why you didn't play Wii Sports Club?
    Your trial(s) used up or something?

Apologies for dragging this up, but just realised that I never acknowledged your reply, /\/ollog. Thank you for answering my question!

(Not sure why I plumped for Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort over Wii Sports Club, exactly. I guess the thought of those day-pass fees were at the back of my head... I suspected that once my housemates had a taste of the games, they'd want to play every now and then, and I didn't fancy coughing up for games I already owned... And in any case Resort seemed to offer more variety than Club... )

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

im buying a wii-u next week just for mario kart 8. now im wondering what would be peoples top 5 wii-u games be? i want to get 3 or 4 other games in the mean time.

dan hibiki wrote: »
    im buying a wii-u next week just for mario kart 8. now im wondering what would be peoples top 5 wii-u games be? i want to get 3 or 4 other games in the mean time.

Just going on what I've played so far..

1. Super Mario 3D World. Fantastic game start to finish.
    2. Super Mario Bros Wii U. Very underappreciated game Imo. Yes its 2D Mario but its oh so good. 2D platforming perfection.
    3. Rayman Legends. Not exclusive but its built foe the wii u. Fantastically tight platforming goodness.
    4. Lego City Undercover. Light hearted gta like fun.....with Lego! Yah Lego.

Games I hear pretty much nothing but good things for that are also exclusive and i will at some point get round to playing.

5. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.
    6. Zelda Windwaker.
    7. Pikmin.

There some great games indie and classics on the eshop as well but to be fair if you get through all of the above in the next year Id be very jealous of your gaming time.

• Advertisement

There's a load more, but just to add to the above - The Wonderful 101 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I would argue that you don't need super Mario bros u and ayman both. And that rayman has the soul of old school Mario. Where the other has no soul at all to speak of.

I am but one gamer...

MH3 isn't bad (In fact its fantastic), but it looks like a 3ds game...

For my money, Pikmin3 is the best game on the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I actually enjoyed super luigi u more than the mario version

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I have to say that I quite enjoyed Mario Bros U and think it's a bit harsh that it gets such criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,215 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Does anybody have their Wii U connected through Eircom wifi? I find it appalling, can't get a steady connection with Monster Hunter online. What settings do you use?

I was just thinking last week that Nintendo bought the Project Zero franchise and did nothing with it outside Spirit Camera and Project Zero 2. Now I see they're making a game for Wii U. Though whether it gets localised or not is another thing. I'd say it will

Brilliant. Scary games, them!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was just thinking last week that Nintendo bought the Project Zero franchise and did nothing with it outside Spirit Camera and Project Zero 2. Now I see they're making a game for Wii U. Though whether it gets localised or not is another thing. I'd say it will

Hadn't seen your post before. Do they own it or partially own it? Not that it matters. I'm looking forward to it anyway. Not for kids :D.

• Advertisement

Ah I hope its good. Love scary games me.

Allyall wrote: »
    Hadn't seen your post before. Do they own it or partially own it? Not that it matters. I'm looking forward to it anyway. Not for kids :D.

You had more detail and links. I was too lazy. :)

But yeah they're co-owners of the IP with Tecmo-Koei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I started prime trilogy again this week, and much as I love it, I forgot how annoying it is to not have auto save :o Love the games though. And the wii remote control scheme is fantastic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mass Effect 3 is really really good.
    Probably the best game Ive played so far on the Wii U.

Hellrazer wrote: »

Cool, I just bought it :)

Allyall wrote: »
    Cool, I just bought it :)

Its part of my vast backlog. Some day Mass Effect. Some day when you least expect it.

Mario Kart will be bypassing you however. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hellrazer wrote: »

i'm struggling to get through the first one on the 360 at the moment. I will probably play this on the backwards compatible wii 3 in 2020 :rolleyes:

What setup do people use for wifi on the Wii U? Is WEP best, do you enter the details manually? I'm on Eircom but the signal is really bad? Are there optimum settings?

sligeach wrote: »
    What setup do people use for wifi on the Wii U? Is WEP best, do you enter the details manually? I'm on Eircom but the signal is really bad? Are there optimum settings?

A friend of mine couldn't connect to Wi-Fi at all last week, so he followed this list
    Then he changed the channel on his router. It could be a different channel for you - Depending on the router.

Or try one of these - Wii U Ethernet LAN Adapter

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that out but it's too far for the ethernet option though.

Advertisement