Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Lads have a few noob questions for you.
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a Wii u but I am ignorant to its capabilities.
    The main reason I want to get it - mk8, Mario 3d world, dk, zelda windwaker.
    The main reason I don't want to buy it - the above games seem to be the only top class titles that interest me.
    Will Wii u play original Wii games? And if so will the 'screen controller' work with the Wii games or will I have to fork out for one of the old Wii controls?
    Thanks for any advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

da gamer wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a Wii u but I am ignorant to its capabilities.
    The main reason I don't want to buy it - the above games seem to be the only top class titles that interest me.
    Will Wii u play original Wii games? And if so will the 'screen controller' work with the Wii games or will I have to fork out for one of the old Wii controls?

Those titles alone are worth the price of admission, and should keep you going for months. I just took the plunge with the Wii-U three weeks ago and am delighted with it, pick one up you wont be sorry.
    It does play Wii games, but not on the gamepad as far as I know. So yes, you need a Wii-mote, and the included sensor bar to be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

da gamer wrote: »

It will play original Wii games. However, the controller won't work with them. You will need a Wiimote and Nunchuck to play the Wii games. The Wii games can be displayed on the gamepad's screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I've only just noticed that the "quick start" mode is now enabled and there is a new notification system. When did that happen?

Cool though!

Would a wii plus remote by itself be enough to play mario galaxy 1 and 2 or would I need a nunchuck as well? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Would a wii plus remote by itself be enough to play mario galaxy 1 and 2 or would I need a nunchuck as well? Thanks

You need a nunchuk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

druss wrote: »
    I've only just noticed that the "quick start" mode is now enabled and there is a new notification system. When did that happen?

Cool though!

It was an update during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

/\/ollog wrote: »

Can't look at that video at the moment, but, could I put an SD 32gb card into the little slot on the front of the WiiU and use that as more memory for the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

Can't look at that video at the moment, but, could I put an SD 32gb card into the little slot on the front of the WiiU and use that as more memory for the moment?

no go on ebay, buy an sd usb adapter for a euro from china and put it into that when it arrives in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Why use an SD card with USB adapter instead of just using a little USB stick?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just got the 2 controllers. They feel amazing in your hands. Cheers vestek!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just got the 2 controllers. They feel amazing in your hands. Cheers vestek!

Told ya!

Only got the U last week but Mario 3d world is the 2013 game for me - Outstanding!!!

So happy with the wii u!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Why use an SD card with USB adapter instead of just using a little USB stick?

It's handy if you've got the sd card already.
    The SD reader in the wii u isn't used by the wii u except for particular games
    pulblox world will use it for saving levels, and the animal crossing plaza uses it to get photo's from the 3ds' new leaf game onto it.
    Not sure of any other games using it. Can't be used as storage on the wii u.

Best idea would be a usb hard drive though, just as cheap and more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was in Asda in Strabane today and I see they had a few Wii u games and the Wii U MK8 bundle. Bit of a good sign since it's one of the sites that stopped selling Wii U. Guess they just took a gamble on the MK8 sales.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ill definitely be getting a wii u now, new xenoblade game and zelda game, yes please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Ill definitely be getting a wii u now, new xenoblade game and zelda game, yes please!

Same!

That Zelda game looks stunning, I've Xenoblade for the Wii but never bothered playing it.

Is it much good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Same!

That Zelda game looks stunning, I've Xenoblade for the Wii but never bothered playing it.

Is it much good?

:O

Its brilliant!

Go play it right now :O

:O

Its brilliant!

Go play it right now :O

I think I might do! :)

Thanks, I'll be sure to let ye know what I think!

Same!

Is it much good?

You need to play it immediately. It's one of the greatest games of all time. If you don't I'll report you to the guards for your crime against gaming.

• Advertisement

So with the Gamestop Summer Deals offer I can get any WiiU bundle + 2 games for €289.99?

So that means I could get the Mario Kart 8 Bundle, Nintendoland and Zelda and then use the free download for New Super Mario Bros U?

Just want to make sure I get this right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

when you register mariokart do you get the free game straight away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So with the Gamestop Summer Deals offer I can get any WiiU bundle + 2 games for €289.99?

So that means I could get the Mario Kart 8 Bundle, Nintendoland and Zelda and then use the free download for New Super Mario Bros U?

Just want to make sure I get this right :P

It seems to depend on the store/staff. I was able to get the summer deal with a bundle as was Am I Evil, but not nix. Don't forget for an extra €40 you can get any Wii U game if you want (when buying a bundle).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

when you register mariokart do you get the free game straight away
    You get the download code straight away (once you have answered the survey questions) then it depends on you when you download it :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It seems to depend on the store/staff. I was able to get the summer deal with a bundle as was Am I Evil, but not nix. Don't forget for an extra €40 you can get any Wii U game if you want (when buying a bundle).

Think I'll ring up before going in just in case.

So I just mention the summer deals offer then ask about the €40 game with a WiiU purchase?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Think I'll ring up before going in just in case.

So I just mention the summer deals offer then ask about the €40 game with a WiiU purchase?

€40 game applies to any bundle so that's a dead cert. The summer sale 2 free games applies to a console purchase. So ask if the summer sale games also apply to a bundle purchase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I never thought I'd say this but I had fun playing COD online with my mate. Being able to use the gamepad for 1 player and the TV for another makes it so much easier to play than splitscreen.

I never thought I'd say this but I had fun playing COD online with my mate. Being able to use the gamepad for 1 player and the TV for another makes it so much easier to play than splitscreen.

I've held off buying MK8 because of things like this and that's despite the free game offer. Who am I kidding, I will still buy it before the offer ends. But still that's one of the great advantages that the Wii U has and Nintendo never capitalised on it. It's the same with Sonic Racing Transformed. That was a launch title and there's many things that game does that put Nintendo to shame. Other things that bother me are limited voicechat and brutal battle mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

think I might buy a used wii u in gamestop for 209 get a half price used game which will be Mario world 23so that's 232and ill buy mariokart in smyths for 55 and get Mario bros free.so for 287 ill get a console mariokart, Mario 3d world and Mario bros

• Advertisement

think I might buy a used wii u in gamestop for 209 get a half price used game which will be Mario world 23so that's 232and ill buy mariokart in smyths for 55 and get Mario bros free.so for 287 ill get a console mariokart, Mario 3d world and Mario bros

At least you didn't post that in the Nintendo bargains thread because that stinks. That's not a great deal at all. Are you in major panic to buy the Wii U that you'll take any offer?

Advertisement