Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really need to look at the whole stars thing. I think I lost all interest in it when they started putting a time limit on them as I don't buy frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I've now put just over 7 hours into Zelda Windwaker. I'm just past the first boss. I got stuck on a couple of bits but nothing major... so far. I have a feeling that I'm way behind were I probably should be 7 hours in but outside of me being pretty poor at these type of games I'm finding myself just getting really involved in it and taking my time exploring.

I never played it in the gamecube days so its all new to me. It really is mad that it recieved such poor sentiment back then due to the cell shaded graphical appearance considering how well the gamecube version aged nevermind the HD remake which is just glorious imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't forget the initial backlash for Windwaker was due to the initial reveal trailer, which, let's face it, didn't really capture the real magic of the game itself.
    It showed the pretty cel shading, but a couple of fairly bland looking environments, and outdoors areas had heavy 'fogging' going on.
    Not to mention the fairly ridiculous cartoony "lead them off the ledge" bit at the end:

The end product was amazing though, and the HD version is just spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I'm playing through it for the first time now. It's incredible, really feels at home on the wiiu too with the map to navigate. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nutsnboltz1

Hey everyone I took the plunge and bought myself a Wii U this week and I'm absolutely loving it so far :) I got it preowned in Gamestop with a copy of Mario Kart 8 and a 12 month warranty for 156 euro (after trading in my original 3ds and 2 games). I picked up Super Mario Bro's U as my freebie with Mario Kart 8 and I must say I'm loving the game so far, I think I've probably played it more than Mario Kart 8 haha. I'm just looking to build up my library atm so I'm on the look out for offers both first party and third part :) The only problem that I have with the system so far is that nintendo a very slow at updating the VC I'd love to be able to play games such as Final Fantasy VI or Paper Mario on the gamepad.

All in all though it's a mighty fine console :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

nix wrote: »
    Wow wow wow wooow...

What wii app?

wii mode, it runs a virtualised wii on the console, you can use th egamepad as a tv screen and do pretty much everything you could on a wii.
    wii u pro controller and gamepad controls don't work in this mode, because they're not wii devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

/\/ollog wrote: »
    wii mode, it runs a virtualised wii on the console, you can use th egamepad as a tv screen and do pretty much everything you could on a wii.
    wii u pro controller and gamepad controls don't work in this mode, because they're not wii devices.

ah, i figured you meant for iphones/androids and shiz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I spent 7000 points 20 months ago on the Kid Icarus AR cards have about 50 unopened packs in a bag back in my shed with about 200 cards too from opened packs, worthless crap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nutsnboltz1

I've always thought that the Wii points are the only worthwhile thing to spend your stars on Club Nintendo, have any of you seen the American club nintendo rewards their coin system is miles better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

As much as I love the Wii U, I'm hyped for their hybrid console if it ever releases. would be HUGE. I don't know how'll they fit PS4 level tech in a handheld controller, but if they could, MY GOD. It'd be a sensation like the first Playstation blowing all competition off the market. Carry it and play like a handheld and Plug in and play at your friends house. Nintendo are god-like designers of egromomics and weight, so I imagine they have their crack teams on this. It'd all be digital download I'd imagine. You're holding the console basically.

Like a 21st century version of this of this:

megaiiia.jpg

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »
    As much as I love the Wii U, I'm hyped for their hybrid console if it ever releases. would be HUGE. I don't know how'll they fit PS4 level tech in a handheld controller, but if they could, MY GOD. It'd be a sensation like the first Playstation blowing all competition off the market. Carry it and play like a handheld and Plug in and play at your friends house. Nintendo are god-like designers of egromomics and weight, so I imagine they have their crack teams on this. It'd all be digital download I'd imagine. You're holding the console basically.

Like a 21st century version of this of this:

http://cdn.gtmall.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/megaiiia.jpg

There'll be nothing like that any time soon. I'd imagine it'd be quite some time before they'd be able/ready to do anything quite like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I've always thought that the Wii points are the only worthwhile thing to spend your stars on Club Nintendo, have any of you seen the American club nintendo rewards their coin system is miles better imo.

I got two of the Mario Kart trophies from Club Nintendo. Really like them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They ready released a console like that, the iQue in China, essentially an N64 in a controller with digital only games downloaded at kiosks.
    Only a specific few titles were localised for China and made available for the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you like Yoshi they've a good few rewards, if not, sol.
    The US once seems so much better what with the choices of free VC games and that elite thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Anyone had any minor issues with the Wii U freezing or getting stuck on Sonic Racing?

I was ging into a menu after one of my first races (I think my first) and it went black, as did the gamepad, and music looping on the TV. I had to hold the power button.
    More recently (last night and this evening) it gets stuck after one or two races, and sometimes before, when choosing a player/car, but screen doesn't go black. I've had to hold power on those instances too.
    Finally, it has gone back to the home screen on the gamepad, and didn't on the TV.. :(

I think all of these started happening after the last update... The Sonic disc is brand new, and has no marks on it, although that doesn't mean it's not the cause..
    Is there a way to rollback updates?
    It's not a major problem, and I haven't tried any other games yet.

(have to run out now, so i can't reply/try anything for a while.)

Anyone else having any issues?

Allyall wrote: »
    Anyone had any minor issues with the Wii U freezing or getting stuck on Sonic Racing?

I was ging into a menu after one of my first races (I think my first) and it went black, as did the gamepad, and music looping on the TV. I had to hold the power button.
    More recently (last night and this evening) it gets stuck after one or two races, and sometimes before, when choosing a player/car, but screen doesn't go black. I've had to hold power on those instances too.
    Finally, it has gone back to the home screen on the gamepad, and didn't on the TV.. :(

I think all of these started happening after the last update... The Sonic disc is brand new, and has no marks on it, although that doesn't mean it's not the cause..
    Is there a way to rollback updates?
    It's not a major problem, and I haven't tried any other games yet.

(have to run out now, so i can't reply/try anything for a while.)

Anyone else having any issues?

Sonic racing?! Surely you mean Marion Kart 8. :D

Only kidding I love Sonic Racing. Played it a good bit on xbox 360.

Dont have it for the Wii U and probably wont bother now with MK8 tbh so unfortunatly cant answer your question.

On a side note I went on last night and there was a few on the friends list from here playing the Wii U but nobody playing MK8.

Now I cant really talk as most of my little playing time is currently used on Windwaker, which is gonna take me forever btw as I'm 7 hours in roughly and have only beaten 1 boss! :o, but I thought there'd be more playing MK8 and more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Just registered mk8 on club nintendo. Do I really have to wait 48 hours to download the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Just registered mk8 on club nintendo. Do I really have to wait 48 hours to download the game?

My code appeared pretty much straight away so I doubt you'll have to wait that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Corcs001 wrote: »
    My code appeared pretty much straight away so I doubt you'll have to wait that long.

Yea came through. Was wondering. The site said log back in in 48 hours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking forward now for Wii Sports Club, it's out at the weekend.
    I'm somewhat torn though between it and Tomodachi Life for the 3DS!

• Advertisement

I'm at nearing the end of the 2nd dungeon in Windwaker the Forbidden Forest. I was too tired to finish it last night. Just have to get a key for the boss door.

Really cool dungeon though with using the leaf to glide and boomerang at the later end of the level for hitting multiple enemies etc..

I'm going through this game at snails pace but I have to say its really enjoyable so far. Very hard to put down when you get into your stride.

Some games you play are forgettable. I get the feeling this is one that will stay with me for many years to come ..... when I eventually finish it in about a years time! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I've been thinking.... I've been playing through RE5 for the past week on the aul ps3 and it got me thinking, I would much rather play it on the Wii U with the gamepad, but it'll never happen(?), gonna move onto RE6 (I know, I know) when I finish Wesker.

But with word a few months back that Capcom are working on RE7 what y'all think of it coming to Wii U? I mean, Capcom and Ninty get on well, RE Revelations sold well on the Wii U. Could it happen? Or would it be a case of just coming to the PS4 and XBOne, not Wii U or ps3 or X360.

Wii U would be perfect for a new Ressy game.

Also, jaysus, I have so many games for the Wii U now that I feel I'll never get to play/finish them. LoZ - WWHD was brilliant! Sales have to be picking up now with all the great games on the system no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Resident evil 4-6 are abominations to the series, they are not survival horror, i couldnt care less if they didnt make it for the WiiU. They ruined the story in these games and could never get back on form.

I welcomed the new aim mechanics in RE4 but everything else just fell to ****, doing summersaults out of two story windows at will and round housing spaniards at will, it just got silly.. Like Die hard silly...

Haha, I hear ya!!!! But, RE4 and RE5 and Revelations are brilliant games, whatever about the story.

Loved RE4 on the gamecube and LOVED it on the Wii.

As far as I know, iirc, when Capcom came out with their financial losses in December or January this year(?), they did come to the conclusion that they had way to many people working on RE6 and spent way too much on it too, even though it sold well, but was a terrible game.

They said they would not being doing that for RE7, so I got from that that it would be a reboot, like RE1-3 with RE Revelation controls or something. Either way I want the next big Ressy game on the Wii U since we missed both RE5 and RE6, no mater what you think of the games, they sell really well and RE5 was the biggest selling in the franchise, even though I think RE4 is the biggest selling one in the franchise since its on every system/phone except for 3DS/Vita/Wii U.

Resi 4 was simply an amazing game. It was a departure, but it still retained a little of that magic.

Resi 5 was a good game, but it was in no way a Resi game apart from having some of the same characters.

Not played 6. Revelations is great.

Yeah I felt RE5 (or 4.5) was an amazing game in its own right, but overall as part of Ressy, not great. If they had even left it as it was meant to be from the start without Sheva there, it might have been different, Stupid pc brigade :rolleyes:.

RE6 is pants to be honest, but I'm on a Ressy buzz at the moment so gonna play it for the lolz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Resident Evil 4 was the kick the series needed - a truly revolutionary game that made a franchise feel fresh and exciting and relevant again. Yes, it was less 'scary' (although the original series was often completely silly and ridiculous too - the story was always a load of B-Movie nonsense) but it brought a new level of tension and horror to the franchise. No game has yet managed to improve on the level of panic and desperation you feel during Resi 4's best sieges. Even within the game itself it was playing around with the formula to ensure things didn't stagnate.

Yes, the series went rapidly down hill afterwards (not coincidentally in line with the departure of Shinji Mikami, which frankly marked the point the series should have been retired), but a game as bold and brilliant as Resi 4 should not be blamed for the games that failed to copy it.

Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS was the most fun I've had with a RE title since the excellent 4th game but I was a little disappointed by the relatively small variation in enemy types.
    A new game in the series would be welcome but hopefully it'll retreat from the action genre it has slipped into and back to horror.
    It's not alone in this, Dead Space, a "homage" to the RE series if ever there was one (or ripoff if you prefer) has drifted from a visual and sonic feast of terror into a third person SF shooter.
    Silent Hill has been on a slide since the second game as well with the best of horror seemingly on the PS2 and as indie titles on the PC.

Yeah Dead Space 1 was brilliant, DS2 was even better! DS3, was good, but just not DS1&2 at all. There will be a DS4 but I'm sure it will be trash. But again, would be good to have that coming to the Wii U too.

• Advertisement

Dead Space won't be coming, because EA, that's why.

Advertisement