Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Agree, you could say the stingy b@stards never included a psu with the XL. It gave people the option of buying a console at a cheaper price point, no point bitching about it if you didn't do your homework.

I was going to mention that as another example but it's alright for us, we know about things like that. I bet more casual buyers were caught out. Again, that was another stupid decision.

Would you buy a car only to be told you have to buy the wheels separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

sligeach wrote: »
    Really? Most people have said the gamepad is the noose around the Wii U's neck.

Really?! The defining fantastic thing that allows fantastic off-TV play is a noose?! WTF?

smokingman wrote: »
    Really?! The defining fantastic thing that allows fantastic off-TV play is a noose?! WTF?

C'mon lets be serious here. Practically nobody's supported it. Even Nintendo have done almost nothing with it. ZombiU still remains the best example, a 3rd party launch title more than 18 months ago. I like it for the browser and sometimes playing off TV when watching football but it's not essential and power was sacrificed for it's inclusion. It's a millstone, a very expensive millstone that has so many flaws. Only one person can use it, poor resolution, poor battery life, almost no range despite Nintendo's lies, can't be bought separately(sure why would it when it doesn't support 2 players?), no analogue triggers or rumble but they're not big gripes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know for me, and for my fiancée, it's great, because it means one of us can play while the other watches something they're not interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Show me a decent harddrive for under preferably €50 please? I would want a USB powered harddrive. For the Wii U I've the Wii U console plug, the gamepad charger, the TV, a powerline adapter(again thank you Nintendo for utterly $h1t€ wifi), not to mention all the other electrical equipment. Some day this house will burn down because of overloaded sockets.

I like to hear Nintendo's reasoning again for a stingy harddrive, I forget what they said? It's usually bs, I'm sorry, I'm a huge Nintendo only fan but I've grown weary of their constant mistakes.

If you think I'm goin out of my way to source you a hard drive you've another thing coming.

As for you sayin you're a Nintendo fan I'm findin that hard to believe as this isn't your first swipe at Nintendo or Wii U. Just sayin is all.

Edit.. And on the off screen play thing as a married man with a young child and only one telly off TV play rocks. I play 90% that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Would you buy a car only to be told you have to buy the wheels separately?

No, I would expect wheels, but I know I'd have to buy the petrol:D

The reasoning behind this was that if you had a psu from a previous console that was suitable why would you need to buy another. Makes sense when you think about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No, I would expect wheels, but I know I'd have to buy the petrol:D

The reasoning behind this was that if you had a psu from a previous console that was suitable why would you need to buy another. Makes sense when you think about it.

Doesn't make any sense. You would have had to own a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS to have a compatible charger?

It was an annoying decision not to include a charger with the XL, so what if it increased the price by a tenner. Different story if it could be charged by micro usb or something common like that. Anyway, apples and oranges when comparing to the small 32GB harddrive issue.

Re: the Gamepad - even though I prefer to use the Pro controller where I can - it's still pretty good. I just wish it worked better from another room.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Doesn't make any sense. You would have had to own a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS to have a compatible charger?

I know what you mean, but a charger can be bought for less than a fiver if you look past the genuine one. I remember reading before that Nintendo have shipped home consoles in Japan before the N64 without a psu. Maybe it was more of a enviromental decision for the 3dsxl.
    To be honest the amount a charger would cost them would be very little considering the quantity they would be buying if they were including them with every xl.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Moved a bunch of posts here from the bargains thread. Let's keep the more general discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

Show me a decent harddrive for under preferably €50 please? I would want a USB powered harddrive.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1339361/Trail/searchtext%3EHARD+DRIVE.htm

I usually get my 1TB's (usb3 2.5 inch for about a tenner more by jumping on a deal on amazon though).
    Or if you're technically minded, buy a $2 2.5 inch hard drive caddy on ebay and a $20-30 hard drive off ebay for it. Long time since I looked for hard drives, dunno if this is still accurate so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Moved a bunch of posts here from the bargains thread. Let's keep the more general discussion here.

Phew! Thank God for that. I thought I was experiencing extreme deja vu, or someone spiked my drink. :pac:

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Phew! Thank God for that. I thought I was experiencing extreme deja vu, or someone spiked my drink. :pac:

You're confused, I just posted that I picked up two Dragon Quest games in the "I have a Wii U- General Discussion. " thread. Had to move it then back to the bargin thread. :confused:

You're confused, I just posted that I picked up two Dragon Quest games in the "I have a Wii U- General Discussion. " thread. Had to move it then back to the bargin thread. :confused:

Yeah but you're a monkey. Your punctuation alone is incredibly impressive. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

C'mon lets be serious here. Practically nobody's supported it. Even Nintendo have done almost nothing with it. ZombiU still remains the best example, a 3rd party launch title more than 18 months ago. I like it for the browser and sometimes playing off TV when watching football but it's not essential and power was sacrificed for it's inclusion. It's a millstone, a very expensive millstone that has so many flaws. Only one person can use it, poor resolution, poor battery life, almost no range despite Nintendo's lies, can't be bought separately(sure why would it when it doesn't support 2 players?), no analogue triggers or rumble but they're not big gripes for me.

Not on the same page I'm afraid. ZombiU is not a game that supports off-tv play for a start. I regularly play just on the pad even though I have a dedicated screen for it (need for speed, mario kart & 3dworld, tekken, injustice, fifa, deus ex, darksiders2, assassins creed 3& 4, ninja gaiden, splinter cell and batman). I've no problem with the resolution on the pad and kinda prefer having it there close to my head; maybe it's the many delightful hours I've spent on a 3ds that predisposes me towards the ergonomics of it all. The fact that I can go make something in the kitchen and bring it with me while my coffee is brewing is almost taken for granted at this stage. I can't imagine a console I would buy that wouldn't have a screen now. This is actually a big deal. If the WiiU didn't have this screen, it'd just be another xbox/ps. I really don't get how that could be described as a noose, I really can't. It's the best thing about the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cripes!!

Quite a few games going up in price, by quite a bit in some cases.. :(

Don't know whether to buy now, or hope that they drop a bit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nutsnboltz1

Hey Allyall, if you have the money for the Wii U I'd jump right in and get one, I just got mine last month and I've never looked back :) From what I've seen online the gaming media has been trashing the Wii U since launch, (all though it did deserve some of the criticism it received) There seems to have been a world wide ceasefire in terms of trash talking Nintendo, big sites such as Kotaku and IGN now seem to be behind the Wii U and the system finally seems to be getting some momentum behind it ( Kotaku has upgraded the Wii U to a must have console and IGN and other websites have welcomed nintendo's Winter & E3 line up)

Tbh right now the only chance I can see the system or the games dropping in price again would be in the lead up to the holiday season as Nintendo needs the Wii U to sell big over Christmas, so if your someone like me who can't wait to play games such as Mario Kart, Mario U and Bayonetta 1 & 2 then I'd pick one up right away. If you're a more savy shopper who doesn't mind waiting 4 or 5 months then I'd pick one up in December and get a Super Smash Bundle :)

Looking back I think I misread your post haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Rumours of Diddy King racing 2 in development! It's the game I've been waiting for a sequel to since the 90's it's going to be a long wait if it's true, it's expected in 2016!

iamtony wrote: »
    Rumours of Diddy King racing 2 in development! It's the game I've been waiting for a sequel to since the 90's it's going to be a long wait if it's true, it's expected in 2016!

So does mean that Micro$oft is allowing Rare to develop on Nintendo Platforms again :) Even though it is by no means the same company as it was in their n64 glory days I'd still be pretty excited about this game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So does mean that Micro$oft is allowing Rare to develop on Nintendo Platforms again :) Even though it is by no means the same company as it was in their n64 glory days I'd still be pretty excited about this game :)

Nah, Nintendo own the rights so it would be a different studio. I'd be skeptical of the rumour anyway; there wouldn't be much point in them releasing another kart racer really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Looking back I think I misread your post haha
    Yep, I have a Wii U :D
    A lot of the games are going up in price, but some shooting up.
    I want to grab some of those games before they go beyond their worth, for me.

• Advertisement

its supposed to be Retro studios working on it. Article is on wiiUdaily.com

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Nah, Nintendo own the rights so it would be a different studio. I'd be skeptical of the rumour anyway; there wouldn't be much point in them releasing another kart racer really
    its not just another kart racer it's a game that deserves a sequel! What I loved about it was how they built in a story a gave a purpose to playing through the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

iamtony wrote: »
    its not just another kart racer it's a game that deserves a sequel! What I loved about it was how they built in a story a gave a purpose to playing through the single player.

I'm not saying it doesn't! I just think that Nintendo would have higher priorities than a kart racer (deserving or not) that is not going to sell anywhere close to MK8, no matter how good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If Nintendo do decide to make another racer for the Wii U then it better be F-Zero! :)

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it doesn't! I just think that Nintendo would have higher priorities than a kart racer (deserving or not) that is not going to sell anywhere close to MK8, no matter how good.
    by 2016 it shouldn't matter I don't think anyway.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If Nintendo do decide to make another racer for the Wii U then it better be F-Zero! :)

I second that motion.

What are the chances of Manuel Neuer being named as a new challenger in Smash Bros he's been kicking ass and taking names all night, the Argentina players are too scared to get near him :)

What are the chances of Manuel Neuer being named as a new challenger in Smash Bros he's been kicking ass and taking names all night, the Argentina players are too scared to get near him :)

And he does it in such an elegant way!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nintendo has me Funking Pumped

Bring the funk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo has me Funking Pumped

Bring the funk

Starting to sound like Reggie now!

Advertisement