Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Starting to sound like Reggie now!

you have no idea how much i adored fire emblem awakening :O :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

you have no idea how much i adored fire emblem awakening :O :L

Better than Sonic Adventure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Better than Sonic Adventure ;)

whats a sonic adventure :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I bought a cheap chinese knock off wii mote for use with Wii U. It seemed really really sluggish, for which i blamed the designers, the batteries etc etc. I made two efforts at multi player and tossed it aside. I could never force it into the Wii menu, where I just wanted to have a look at the shop.

I bought Skyward Sword (my first actual Wii game) last week and tried to give it another go. Yesterday I replaced the batteries, checked the settings on the sensor bar, re-installed relevant settings on console. Then figured out that I'd stuck the bar on upside down and facing the wrong way on the tv. :o

Anyway, I may now be able to buy a Wii game or two. Good news. It's not as if you can have too many games to not play.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I got wii u now too. Registered games I got and picked up in promotion pikmin 3.
    Doing updates and it is taking ages.

Just one question. Do I really need sensor bar if I am not playing wii games? I have a feeling my wii u will be a traveling console, so that sensor bar might be a bit annoying. It will travel between Bedroom/living room/buddies house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So apparently there is a Japanese unveiling of Project Zero U/Fatal Frame U on Friday morning (5:30am our time).

Just read it on neogaf as can't access news sites here, so no link

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Well, I got wii u now too. Registered games I got and picked up in promotion pikmin 3.

Just one question. Do I really need sensor bar if I am not playing wii games? I have a feeling my wii u will be a traveling console, so that sensor bar might be a bit annoying. It will travel between Bedroom/living room/buddies house.

For Pikmin 3, my favourite control scheme was wiimote and nunchuck - that requires a sensor bar. I can't think of any other games for which I've needed the sensor bar. The gamepad has one built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So apparently there is a Japanese unveiling of Project Zero U/Fatal Frame U on Friday morning (5:30am our time).

That's going to be a Japanese region only release afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yeah I read that this morning. I never played any of the Project Zero games, but saw the Wii one in Gamestop for €45 yesterday, wouldnt drop that on a game I ve no idea about really. I saw it second had a few months back in there for €25, must be good cause it's holding its value.

Sure heres the link to the news http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/nintendo_and_koei_tecmo_hosting_fatal_frame_broadcast_on_17th_july_in_japan

Localisation is a possibility. I think Nintendo have more of a stake in the series now than when the 4th one was released.
    They did release Spirit Camera on 3DS, though don't think it did to well.

Also why not just localise an already developed game to add more games to the catalogue, especially since the survival horror genre is one that doesn't have many games on the Wii U. And who doesn't want to use the gamepad to see ghosts in their living room? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Nice!

Did ya get both deals?

You would only need the sensor bar for games that use the wii remote, you wont need it if using the gamepad or pro controller. So you're pretty safe without it for all WiiU games, alot of wii games require the wii remote however but dont always require the aim capeability, if you look at the back of the box it will tell you what pads can be used..

For resident evil zero i had to use the wii remote and nunchuck, not ideal and it took a bit of getting used to, but was grand in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

nix wrote: »
    Nice!

Did ya get both deals?

You would only need the sensor bar for games that use the wii remote, you wont need it if using the gamepad or pro controller. So you're pretty safe without it for all WiiU games, alot of wii games require the wii remote however but dont always require the aim capeability, if you look at the back of the box it will tell you what pads can be used..

For resident evil zero i had to use the wii remote and nunchuck, not ideal and it took a bit of getting used to, but was grand in the end

What you mean both deals m8?

I got myself Monster hunter bundle ( damn rare now and goes on amazon for 350£!!!! ) and MK8. I wanted originally go with that new gamestop deal that they got, but games they were offering were crap and it was limited to Lego game, which is not even a physical copy. My local gamestop still had MH3 bundle and I just wee'd my pants a little when I sow him taking it from the back of the storage room. Its a good deal as you get MH ( obviously ) and a Pro controller.

Just a pic again for those who are not fallowing xbox one vs ps4 thread.

DSC_0262_zpsmcbczzsj.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lego City bundle does come with a disc as opposed to a digital copy :)

Monster Hunter deal does seem like a good one - can't make out the price in the photo but for under 300 it's decent value, considering how much a classic controller would cost on its own. Did you get Mario Kart for 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Monster Hunter deal does seem like a good one - can't make out the price in the photo but for under 300 it's decent value, considering how much a classic controller would cost on its own. Did you get Mario Kart for 40?

And MH3 seems to be going up in prices in some places..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

ah nice

Didnt even know there was a MH3 bundle ;D

Gz on the purchase!

I picked me up AC: black flag for €25 and Splinter cell black list for €12 today, both brand new, well both free pretty much, picked them up on a all4one voucher i got off work. I might spend the rest of the voucher (it was €100) on mario world 3D, im undecided atm ;D

It said that that deal works only if you get a bundle with a Lego city digital download. It actually says on the billboard yoke. He could not give me other bundles to go with that deal too.
    It was not really worth it as I did not wanted the games you get ( sort off ) and I still needed a controller.
    So all in all everything costed me 340eu ( traded in some ps3 and ps4 games and it gone down to 250eu )

Wii U 32gb
    Pro Controller
    Monster Hunter 3
    Mariokart 8
    Pikmin 3 ( as free game in promotion )

Will be looking to get more Pro controllers, Mario world 3D, ZombieU next. Then when stuff comes out: Bayonetta and Mario smash U or what ever its called. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well... if you can offload a copy of Mariokart, the Ninty store have a deal on - Buy Mariokart (£49.99 from them but they're still doing the Tshirt and Keyring with it) you get 30% off a Pro Controller (£39.99 from them) and then you need to factor in Parcel Motel for delivery.

Sure, it's cheaper to just go Amazon, but where's the fun in paying less and putting less effort in????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

So Project Zero wii U was announced for Japan with a release date of 27th September 2014.

Now to wait and see if a European release is anounced. Must try and get Project Zero 2 on the Wii. Never played any of them.

Out of curiosity, how much text/dialogue is usually found in these games in comparison to something like Professor Layton or Ace Attorney? I think even a subtitle only release would do.

• Advertisement

Americans hate getting free games from Nintendo.
    http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/07...sulting/94583/
    He has a point you know. The program has gotten steadily lazier and literally no effort has been put into those offerings. They are all games that are already hosted on the eShop and that download codes can be issued for using existing infrastructure. The Club Nintendo offering in Europe isn't much better. I remember o nthe gamecube when you bought a game you used to get not just points but exclusive (and mostly useless but cool) content - Winamp skins, wallpapers, desktop buddies, printable Tshirt transfers and bookmarks. Stuff that cost them nothing but was nice to have. And the store used to have stuff in it that you wanted to get - I really love my Mario and Luigi kids car window shades, but they're 5 years old now and need replacing - instead of having 3 pages of whatever stuff they can't shift, and only updating it once in a blue moon.

These rewards are supposed to be an incentive to buy lots of games, because it's the only way to get them. This round of rewards..... well if you want Game and Wario that badly you can save around $480 by just buying it directly! More if you buy Mariokart, sell it on and use the points to get G&W free...

(I may have been overly swayed by the author's declaration at the bottom of the article of his intent to use Assassin's Creed III exclusively as his son's sole source of information on american history... I can but respect that...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have a load of these code things from when I bought games. Never knew what they were so just left them in the boxes. Suppose I should see what I'm missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Banjo wrote: »
    The Club Nintendo offering in Europe isn't much better. I remember o nthe gamecube when you bought a game you used to get not just points but exclusive (and mostly useless but cool) content - Winamp skins, wallpapers, desktop buddies, printable Tshirt transfers and bookmarks. Stuff that cost them nothing but was nice to have. And the store used to have stuff in it that you wanted to get - I really love my Mario and Luigi kids car window shades, but they're 5 years old now and need replacing - instead of having 3 pages of whatever stuff they can't shift, and only updating it once in a blue moon.

I got two Mario Kart trophies off Club Nintendo here. Was pretty happy with them. Got some other things too like a Pikmin. Good stuff does appear sometimes. The most annoying thing about it, is the stars expiring. It stops me from registering games straight away.

Yeah, the Mariokart trophies restocked for a couple of days about 6 months ago, I only had the stars for 1 and I wanted the Shell one.... still check it every few days in case it comes back...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

abbir wrote: »
    I got two Mario Kart trophies off Club Nintendo here. Was pretty happy with them. Got some other things too like a Pikmin. Good stuff does appear sometimes. The most annoying thing about it, is the stars expiring. It stops me from registering games straight away.

What stops me straight away are the bloody surveys. Leave me alone. I don't want to fill out to fill these out for every single game. Some are worse, registering the Wii U went on and on and on. I have 1,600 stars in my account, I'm sure I've enough codes to reach 7,000, usually the mark for something cool when they actually have a product in stock but I'll be damned if I'm doing all those surveys. It was so much easier and hassle free during the Gamecube and Wii days. I also agree on the expiry issue as as well.

sligeach wrote: »
    What stops me straight away are the bloody surveys. Leave me alone. I don't want to fill out to fill these out for every single game. Some are worse, registering the Wii U went on and on and on. I have 1,600 stars in my account, I'm sure I've enough codes to reach 7,000, usually the mark for something cool when they actually have a product in stock but I'll be damned if I'm doing all those surveys. It was so much easier and hassle free during the Gamecube and Wii days. I also agree on the expiry issue as as well.

Ah, now, see, the trick there is, to not let the club nintendo codes to build up, just reg them the same day as you get a new game or system. Sure one survey takes about 3-5 mins for disc games. For all the download games its like 5 or 6 simple questions and takes a min to do.

I thought they stopped the expiry on stars? Haven't lost stars in years now and only get something from them once or twice a year or so. Well last year I got 3 Luigi gold coins and a pack of those plastic see through playing cards and a yellow XL 3ds cradle charger.

Thats actually 3 things this year so far :pac:

Can we ( in ireland ) get stuff for stars now too? I though it was not working for us.

I got a good few stars sitting, doing feck all.

Yup, we can. I've been getting a few things since 2011 I think, it says UK & Ireland on the Nintendo.co.uk site. I use my dublin address, no fiddling with address or sending up north or anything. Should be delivered to your door by An Post no problem.

EDIT: I did notice with the Luigi gold coins, they came from Germany, so maybe everything ordered from the UK site is sent from a Germany warehouse.

Yup, we can. I've been getting a few things since 2011 I think, it says UK & Ireland on the Nintendo.co.uk site. I use my dublin address, no fiddling with address or sending up north or anything. Should be delivered to your door by An Post no problem.

EDIT: I did notice with the Luigi gold coins, they came from Germany, so maybe everything ordered from the UK site is sent from a Germany warehouse.

So whats the things to get so? I think I got only 2500 coins. Still need to register Wii U though.

• Advertisement

Well there is a hell of a LOT of rubbish on there now, but every once in a while they add something brilliant for 3000 stars. Nothing of interest there right now, unless you like a Yoshi back pack or mario/zelda foam wall stickers or note pads and pens or folders?

You just keep adding your stars when you get them and keep an eye on the site to see if anything cool is added. Things on the American site seem to 'sell' out very fast, like in a few hours, like the 4 different coloured cradel chargers.

Here, for Europe, these big things tend to not sell out as fast but they do go, like the Luigi gold coins (i'm very proud of my 3 :).

There is still XL cradle chargers on there last time I checked, and they went up in Feb this year.

Advertisement