Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wii U is currently updating...& has been since 6pm :o

Used the Wii Lan adapter after the wireless update failed. Downloaded much faster & worked first time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Used the Wii Lan adapter after the wireless update failed. Downloaded much faster & worked first time

Where on earth can I get one of those?
    The Wii U refuses to link to the interweb despite finding the network device.
    I am most frustrated.
    I may call to Maplins and get their 25 euro usb/lan adapter, some generic ones work while others don't, certainly Kerbs Apple lan to usb dongle is giving me no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Where on earth can I get one of those?
    The Wii U refuses to link to the interweb despite finding the network device.
    I am most frustrated.
    I may call to Maplins and get their 25 euro usb/lan adapter, some generic ones work while others don't, certainly Kerbs Apple lan to usb dongle is giving me no joy.

You could try entering you Wifi details manually and/or change your wireless security to just WPA2-PSK(AES)(if it's set on WEP).

There are many solutions on the WWW.Here is one.........
    1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10. Good luck

Oh and when it asks for Gateway just put in your router's address...192.168.whatever the rest of your address finishes with.

On the Wii Lan adapter you can buy one online in Ireland HERE. Hope this helps you out.

bazzz wrote: »
    You could try entering you Wifi details manually and/or change your wireless security to just WPA2-PSK(AES)(if it's set on WEP)

I've DHCP turned off in my router & everything on the lan gets a static address, still no joy. The lan adapter worked first time & was much quicker

• Advertisement

I've DHCP turned off in my router & everything on the lan gets a static address, still no joy. The lan adapter worked first time & was much quicker

I've never had any issues connecting my Wii U wireless or wired,worked straight
    out of the box.I've got a linksys router.I was just trying to help out the other guy.There are many solutions to the Wii U's wireless issues people are having,I just suggested one or two possible solutions.

Regarding the Lan Adapter,yes it's a more direct connectivity solution.But because the Wii U is not optimized for lan,it is not(at the moment)a faster solution for data transfer up or down.
    If your router has a DHCP reservation table(for manual input),I'd suggest leaving DHCP switched on.

But because the Wii U is not optimized for lan,it is not(at the moment)a faster solution for data transfer up or down.

Have you any source for that? I dunno how you can claim that given the wild variations in peoples wireless speed/quality. The usb lan adapter blew the wireless speed away for me anyway.
    If your router has a DHCP reservation table(for manual input),I'd suggest leaving DHCP switched on.

It depends on the user really, I do a fair bit of ftp work & the UPC router I have has no reservation table therefore a static IP system works a treat for me. Never had any hassle with using a static model

Have you any source for that? I dunno how you can claim that given the wild variations in peoples wireless speed/quality. The usb lan adapter blew the wireless speed away for me anyway.

It depends on the user really, I do a fair bit of ftp work & the UPC router I have has no reservation table therefore a static IP system works a treat for me. Never had any hassle with using a static model

A. No I don't have any source for the lan stats,I have seen on various boards/forums people come to the same conclusion.I've made my own assumption through transfer tests of my own.If i recall you have wireless issues
    with the Wii U and your network,I don't think you can fairly state the lan adapter blew your wireless speed away.

B. Everything depends on the user......I only posted some helpful solutions for another member to try out.There are solutions for the UPC router to work with the wireless on the Wii U.I'm not liking the tone of your reply to my trying to be helpful posts.If you want to have some kind of debate,I'm
    not interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've ordered a Wii Lan from the UK, so I should have it by February!
    Still, at least I'll have a solid connection then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

But because the Wii U is not optimized for lan,it is not(at the moment)a faster solution for data transfer up or down.

No disrespect Bazzz but there's no such thing as "optimized for LAN".
    I'm in IT for about twelve years so I know what I'm talking about here but the most likely issue with the router is a port forwarding issue. I'll see if I can look into it after my festivities but I won't have one of these wonderful machines until March so bear with me.

Hope you're enjoying yours though; I'm well jealous of you lot here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

It was a dns issue for me not port forwarding

Sorted it but it took a bit of time.

Love all the bitching when people try to help:eek:

smokingman wrote: »
    No disrespect Bazzz but there's no such thing as "optimized for LAN".
    I'm in IT for about twelve years so I know what I'm talking about here but the most likely issue with the router is a port forwarding issue. I'll see if I can look into it after my festivities but I won't have one of these wonderful machines until March so bear with me.

Well looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with this point I made.But I'm not offended.You work in IT,that covers a wide spectrum....no disrespect!I believe you can optimize for lan,through hardware and software.Why the need to get involved here,I'm not having a go at you.
    But to come on and state how many years experience yo have in "IT" is a bit OTT.
    OK I give up now:rolleyes:

If i recall you have wireless issues
    with the Wii U and your network,I don't think you can fairly state the lan adapter blew your wireless speed away.

I was watching the progress bar of the update for a while when it was downloading wirelessly. After it failed, I watched again using the hard wired connection. It progressed a lot faster from start to finish. So yes, I think you'll find I can fairly state the observed differences in speed.
    .I'm not liking the tone of your reply to my trying to be helpful posts.If you want to have some kind of debate,I'm
    not interested.

Tbh, I simply made the counterpoint that your stating facts which have no source. The Wii U is in no way not optimised for a LAN connection, so any issues will be dependant on the users network set up. If you see anything other than an objective tone in that, thats your own problem. And if your not interested in 'some kind of debate', your kind of on the wrong website.
    but the most likely issue with the router is a port forwarding issue. I'll see if I can look into it after my festivities but I won't have one of these wonderful machines until March so bear with me.

I made sure and double checked that, I've port forwarding enabled & its working away so it wasn't the issue in my case anyway. And your just jealous of all the network config/tinkering arn't you....admit it! :D
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    It was a dns issue for me not port forwarding

Sorted it but it took a bit of time.

Love all the bitching when people try to help:eek:

I manually configured the DNS to my ISP settings. Failed wirelessly but worked when hard wired. The bitching started for no reason at all, indeed :(
    But to come on and state how many years experience yo have in "IT" is a bit OTT.
    OK I give up now:rolleyes:

Your the one complaining about the tone of peoples posts here, yet yours & only yours are the ones which seem to bait an aggressive tone? Maybe you need to relax a bit & realise we're all only giving our own personal stories & solutions to the connectivity issues we've faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I made sure and double checked that, I've port forwarding enabled & its working away so it wasn't the issue in my case anyway. And your just jealous of all the network config/tinkering arn't you....

I've my network locked down pretty well and for a lot of online wii games, they used non-standard ports for communication. Not a big deal adding it to an allow list in iptables but had to find out for myself what ports it was trying.

....and yes, I'm well jealous of even tinkering with system settings - damn you and your WiiU gluttony sir, damn you to Zebes!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

damn you to Zebes!

That's a bit harsh... :pac:

Might try to get my hands on one of the LAN adapters as well, but I suspect that while it'll be faster, it'll still be fairly poor. Ninty need to sort out their bandwidth/number of available servers!!!

Was taking me around 6 hours or more to download Trine 2, which at nearly 2GB, shouldn't have taken ANYWHERE near that amount of time over a 60MB line!!!

Might try to get my hands on one of the LAN adapters as well, but I suspect that while it'll be faster, it'll still be fairly poor.

You'd be correct, the bandwidth is still faitly appaling even when hard wired. Downloading the Netflix app was like being back on dial up!

Downloading the Netflix app was like being back on dial up!

Without the fun connecting noises...

Ok that's enough of that....EnterNow.You seem to be turning the tables a bit here.I'll debate if I feel the need to debate and boards.ie is more than just a platform for debate.So just calm yourself down a bit.I'm not here to argue with people,just usually try help.
    Now hopefully the thread will get back on topic.

Ok that's enough of that....EnterNow.You seem to be turning the tables a bit here

Honestly man, I've no idea what on earth your talking about. You stated something as fact, that wasn't fact. End of story if you ask me. But yeah, lets get the thread back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Honestly man, I've no idea what on earth your talking about. You stated something as fact, that wasn't fact. End of story if you ask me. But yeah, lets get the thread back on topic!

Ok back on topic after 30mins last night trying to connect to upc router finally got it going and left my console update over night. Can't wait to finish work to see what this thing is like, so busy opening kids prezzies I didn't get a chance to open my own

• Advertisement

Can't wait to finish work to see what this thing is like

"Failed to contact server. Please try again" :D

"Failed to contact server. Please try again" :D

¬_¬ Three times (!!!) while doing the update for me, and twice while downloading Trine 2. >_<

Three times (!!!) while doing the update for me

How long did it take to get the update done then in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Happy xmas all, Back on Topic :)
    Been away for 2 months in Asia, so finally back last week and got spent time with Wii U.
    Killed me waiting as huge Nintendo Fanboy :) But least got play it a euroexpo.

Got Mario for 46e in heathrow and Wii U ZombiU in HMV for 380e, nice saving as 415e now.
    Had zero issues with the system update, it flew on my 8MB line.

Pros:
    - Screen - That screen is stellar, love playing on GamePad. feels HD even though it isnt.
    - Buttons - Love the layout Buttons, its comfortable for long periods, hands cramp after while normal controllers.
    - Wii browser & YouTube & netflix - YouTube is its best feature, use it daily, people love it when show them.
    - Miiverse rocks and people help within few minutes, Great Job tendo!
    - ZombiU Love it!!! Mario good, and just got COD BLOPS 2. Must get Nintendoland soon.
    - Size -Love how small it is & Quite, easy to unplug and bring to mates house or upstairs and such.

Cons:
    - Audio: Why oh Why didnt ye pay for DTS\Dolby Sound, Just get us pay 10e extra and I will...
    This is by far my biggest issue, ye kicking Sony\360 ass if not for this on Media side.
    Ill have get new AV receiver just to get Surround sound via LPCM, Tendo that sucks!!

- Slow Loading is huge issue, but like it fixed.
    - Cant easily turn of Screen,pain in the butt,double press of a Button would solve this, sort this ASAP.
    - Demos: Hate 10 Retries for Fifa Demo, wish mim 30, but they need bring in Sales, so least there are Demos.
    - Time to announce More Games! E3 too far off. Not a lot to look fwd too. Whats coming Summer and Nov 2013?
    - NintendoTVii - get Sky app please for 2013!!

20121214_232334.jpg

All in All I am chuffed with it bar that stupid Audio options,
    it really doesnt help Wii U win over some PS360 folks... Which is a shame with all AAA Titles Wii U can now support.

Kev

The Zombi U pack at €380 was sensational value really, the pro pad alone is €49.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I think the demo issue is down to EA more than Nintendo; I'm pretty sure it's the publisher that sets the limit. The Rayman Legends demo limit is 30. Oh yeah, if you haven't played it yet, download it now! It's awesome, especially the Black Betty level. can't wait for the full game.

Loving the other games as well. I may end up setting a record for number of deaths in ZombiU (they may run out of characters for me to play as by the end :o) but it's really good. The atmosphere in the game is incredible imo. Mario is great as well, although the squirrel power-up is probably my least favourite of it's type. I wish they'd bring back the cape :(.

Nintendo Land has been good fun as well, thanks to being able to play it with my sister (who gets really competitive). She's been obsessed with the 3ds she got as well, so it's definitely been a Nintendo Christmas in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I may end up setting a record for number of deaths in ZombiU (they may run out of characters for me to play as by the end :o) but it's really good. The atmosphere in the game is incredible imo.

Haha and who says Nintendo are dead... Still bringing so much to households.
    Im actually looking fwd to getting back to Skyward sword and Galaxy 2 yet, Never have time to play. But Yes Rayman great, its actually a lot better i found with 2 when played it at EuroExpo. Love Black betty :)

Ya its DEV choice but Nintendo should made demo a Min of 20 I think.
    Really want Fifa or proEvo but hold off for next update next year.

As For ZombiU, I died in first 15 seconds :) crapping myself all the way so far, only few hours into it. Best buzz if had in ages with a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

kevin2me wrote: »
    Haha and who says Nintendo are dead... Still bringing so much to households.
    Im actually looking fwd to getting back to Skyward sword and Galaxy 2 yet, Never have time to play. But Yes Rayman great, its actually a lot better i found with 2 when played it at EuroExpo. Love Black betty :)

Ya its DEV choice but Nintendo should made demo a Min of 20 I think.
    Really want Fifa or proEvo but hold off for next update next year.

As For ZombiU, I died in first 15 seconds :) crapping myself all the way so far, only few hours into it. Best buzz if had in ages with a game.

Yeah, I think 10 is definitely too few, especially for a game like Fifa where there's no story mode and it's different every time. I'd definitely say wait till next year, though; it's just Fifa 12 with fewer game modes this year

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

This thing is wrecking my head, i cant update i keep getting the same error code 105-4011. It says it connects to the Wfi and then connects to the internet but when it checks for updates it always comes back with the same error. Now my broadband is useless 3 mobile and i am changing to eircom next week.
    Anyone have any ideas as to what i am doing wrong. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread, i.e. manually entereing in the DNS and IP address etc.... Help please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Irishder wrote: »
    Help please

Don't frustrate yourself.
    Wait the week til you have better broadband.

Advertisement