Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh? If they stopped the expiry then I'll start registering since that was putting me off as well. I wouldn't buy often enough to build up within the given timeframe.

Only ones I've registered recently were the ones that got us free stuff. Like think Luigi's Mansion got us original Kid Icarus then something else got us Mario DX.

Did we get anything for registering Wii U?

How many did we need for that gold Link/Epona statue again?

Random thought (at work so little else to do): Where is Daisy princess of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

That Link statue was 7000 stars I think. Sold out really fast, was deadly looking.

We didnt get anything for reg Wii U as far as I can remember.

Daisy, I have no idea where she rules lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Oh? If they stopped the expiry then I'll start registering since that was putting me off as well. I wouldn't buy often enough to build up within the given timeframe.

Only ones I've registered recently were the ones that got us free stuff. Like think Luigi's Mansion got us original Kid Icarus then something else got us Mario DX.

Did we get anything for registering Wii U?

How many did we need for that gold Link/Epona statue again?

Random thought (at work so little else to do): Where is Daisy princess of?

Sarasaland, where the original Gameboy Mario Land takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Something occurred to me the other day reading the Mario 3D World thread.

This is the first generation where I prefer the Mario Kart to the proper Mario game. Never come close to happening before.

It's half because Mario was a tiny bit underwhelming (for me, i know it's an individual thing, and i seem to be in the minority here), but more because MK 8 is just amazing. Defo my favourite of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

Banjo wrote: »
    He has a point you know. The program has gotten steadily lazier and literally no effort has been put into those offerings. They are all games that are already hosted on the eShop and that download codes can be issued for using existing infrastructure. The Club Nintendo offering in Europe isn't much better. I remember o nthe gamecube when you bought a game you used to get not just points but exclusive (and mostly useless but cool) content - Winamp skins, wallpapers, desktop buddies, printable Tshirt transfers and bookmarks. Stuff that cost them nothing but was nice to have. And the store used to have stuff in it that you wanted to get - I really love my Mario and Luigi kids car window shades, but they're 5 years old now and need replacing - instead of having 3 pages of whatever stuff they can't shift, and only updating it once in a blue moon.

These rewards are supposed to be an incentive to buy lots of games, because it's the only way to get them. This round of rewards..... well if you want Game and Wario that badly you can save around $480 by just buying it directly! More if you buy Mariokart, sell it on and use the points to get G&W free...

(I may have been overly swayed by the author's declaration at the bottom of the article of his intent to use Assassin's Creed III exclusively as his son's sole source of information on american history... I can but respect that...)
    They get coins on top of this free gift yearly.
    that's my beef.
    Well there is a hell of a LOT of rubbish on there now, but every once in a while they add something brilliant for 3000 stars. Nothing of interest there right now, unless you like a Yoshi back pack or mario/zelda foam wall stickers or note pads and pens or folders?

I want the backpack, but I'm like 6,000 stars away.
    sligeach wrote: »
    What stops me straight away are the bloody surveys. Leave me alone. I don't want to fill out to fill these out for every single game. Some are worse, registering the Wii U went on and on and on. I have 1,600 stars in my account, I'm sure I've enough codes to reach 7,000, usually the mark for something cool when they actually have a product in stock but I'll be damned if I'm doing all those surveys. It was so much easier and hassle free during the Gamecube and Wii days. I also agree on the expiry issue as as well.
    You only get double for the surveys, or is it 50 out of 250, I forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coffee to go

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I want the backpack, but I'm like 6,000 stars away.

The backpack is awesome, but I begrudgingly had to offer it to my daughter for school. Just have to console myself with my Twilight Princess shoulder bag. Boohoo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the points but am trying to decide if the Yoshi backpack will look respectable on the shoulder of a Clinical Nurse Manager...

Otherwise save for the Game and watch Ball game, it's a really nice thing but may function as a gateway drug to Game and Watch collecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Can anyone recommend a decent Puzzle solving game?

Preferably not a Wii game, and not including any Zelda games.
    If possible a Game on Disc.
    I can't help feeling there is one massive one staring me in the face.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's feck all on the star catalogue at the mo. I'd have loved the Wii Snes Classic Controller but alas it's long gone. I wonder if they'll have anything decent on it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    There's feck all on the star catalogue at the mo. I'd have loved the Wii Snes Classic Controller but alas it's long gone. I wonder if they'll have anything decent on it soon

Super Mario 3D World sound track is quite good!

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent Puzzle solving game?

Preferably not a Wii game, and not including any Zelda games.
    If possible a Game on Disc.
    I can't help feeling there is one massive one staring me in the face.. :o

Hard to find any on disk, unless you count Lego games. Though everyone should try Lego City Undercover at least.

But there are ones on the eShop.

Anyone hear any update on Watch Dogs Wii U?

Hard to find any on disk, unless you count Lego games. Though everyone should try Lego City Undercover at least.

But there are ones on the eShop.

Anyone hear any update on Watch Dogs Wii U?

Yeah I'm looking at Child of Light..

The only thing I've heard and maybe picked up incorrectly, is that Ubisoft have reconfirmed that it will definitely be out in Autumn, and that there will be a low print (initially anyway).
    Ubisoft are apparently sitting on other games that are ready for the Wii U, but don't want to release them until there are more Wii U's in peoples homes.
    So, not sure if that means make sure to get a copy, as you may not get a second chance..

Think Child of Light is more of an RPG. Trine 2 is an excellent game.

I saw a trailer they had at e3 for Watch Dogs Wii U but it didn't really seem specific. Just confirmation it was still coming. So was wondering if any more detail was given at the same time.

As for the unreleased games, from when they talked of them, it sounded like they were family games like Ravin Rabbids or something.

Think Child of Light is more of an RPG. Trine 2 is an excellent game.

As for the unreleased games, from when they talked of them, it sounded like they were family games like Ravin Rabbids or something.

Yeah, I have Trine 2. Child of Light is an RPG, but i think it has a load of puzzles in it. .. ?

As for the Family Games, It probably was. I don't really remember reading it properly, There must have been stuff going on around me, as I wasn't paying attention to the article.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pushblox World is excellent, very nice indeed.
    Or is that Pullblox World, either way worth getting, via Eshop, on the WiiU.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Thanks, I had seen it whizzing by me, but hadn't given it much attention :o.
    It looks good, actually looks much much better than I had thought, going to buy it tonight. REVIEW HERE if anyone wants to read it.
    Also going to buy Earthbound, as I had forgotten that's on special since yesterday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Does anyone know where i can pick up a cheap hard drive for the WII U ?.

Or will i be better off with a 64GB USB ?

As i have 4 copys of mario kart due in the next week so i won't somewhere where i can store my free games ;)

Thought it was only 1 game per console?

Thought that myself.
    On Club Nintendo it's only one copy of each title that can be registered.

Thought that myself.
    On Club Nintendo it's only one copy of each title that can be registered.

On less you have 4 games accounts set up ;)

• Advertisement

On less you have 4 games accounts set up ;)

Really?
    So you can register the one console to four different accounts?
    That's interesting.
    Have you done this before?

Edit : never mind, just saw how, very good.
    Question now is where did you get four copies of Mario Kart 8, and wouldn't it be better to trade them into CEX s and get physical copies of games instead of digital downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well played Monster hunter for 5 hours last night. Pissed off misses, because I was still killing Great Jaggi at 2:00 and making noise lol. Had to turn it off. :D

I think it's safe to say that I am pretty much bonding nicely with wii u so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well played Monster hunter for 5 hours last night. Pissed off misses, because I was still killing Great Jaggi at 2:00 and making noise lol. Had to turn it off. :D

I think it's safe to say that I am pretty much bonding nicely with wii u so far.

would you recommend monster hunter to newcomer such as myself ? I remember playing the demo and thinking it felt weird but i did see a copy in smyths for 20 euros while back that I am tempted to pick up.

would you recommend monster hunter to newcomer such as myself ? I remember playing the demo and thinking it felt weird but i did see a copy in smyths for 20 euros while back that I am tempted to pick up.

Its hard to say. Monster hunter 3 was the first in series I played. I have already 80h played on 3DS, now I am starting from the scratch on Wii U :pac:.
    Why is it hard to say? If I could I would put a gun to each gammers head and MAKE them to try monster hunter and play it more then 2h tutorial, but I realise that is a very specific game. The start of the game is ass and I was trying to run through it as fast as possible. It picks up when you start your first big Monster quest.
    It is hoarders and loot whore game at its best. You will be grinding in it a lot, but I think that it is a fun grinding. Killing big monster is always very satisfying no matter how many times you kill it.
    You will need to learn a TON of stuff to play it. UI and and mechanics are not explained well, but if you stick to it, it will make sense. Just dont be surprised if you will be looking for info online or on forums.

So I am back to square one lol. Its hard to recommend, but I would still insist on people to at least do little research on it. Have a look at Jared videos on it. He does a great review and videos on it.

Really?
    So you can register the one console to four different accounts?
    That's interesting.
    Have you done this before?

Edit : never mind, just saw how, very good.
    Question now is where did you get four copies of Mario Kart 8, and wouldn't it be better to trade them into CEX s and get physical copies of games instead of digital downloads?

Paid 25 pound pair copy of mario kart from amazon so 30 euros each cost me 120. Trade in 3 copies so 95 euros in CEX so 25 euros I get 5 wii u games so how bad is that ?.

So zelda, pikman, wonderful 101 and I am thinking sonic for the last one as I allready have new super mario bros.

I don't like Monster hunter so any ideas what I should get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Its hard to say. Monster hunter 3 was the first in series I played. I have already 80h played on 3DS, now I am starting from the scratch on Wii U :pac:.
    Why is it hard to say? If I could I would put a gun to each gammers head and MAKE them to try monster hunter and play it more then 2h tutorial, but I realise that is a very specific game. The start of the game is ass and I was trying to run through it as fast as possible. It picks up when you start your first big Monster quest.
    It is hoarders and loot whore game at its best. You will be grinding in it a lot, but I think that it is a fun grinding. Killing big monster is always very satisfying no matter how many times you kill it.
    You will need to learn a TON of stuff to play it. UI and and mechanics are not explained well, but if you stick to it, it will make sense. Just dont be surprised if you will be looking for info online or on forums.

So I am back to square one lol. Its hard to recommend, but I would still insist on people to at least do little research on it. Have a look at Jared videos on it. He does a great review and videos on it.

Thanks :D , I be sure to watch the videos before I purchase it and may dislike it. Willing to give any game a try and I am certainly intrigued to give it a shot.
    thanks again :D

Thanks :D , I be sure to watch the videos before I purchase it and may dislike it. Willing to give any game a try and I am certainly intrigued to give it a shot.

Watch those videos. He is fair to it and he says drawbacks of it too. He is not just fanboy of MH ( even if he looks like one lol ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

Allyall wrote: »
    Thanks, I had seen it whizzing by me, but hadn't given it much attention :o.
    It looks good, actually looks much much better than I had thought, going to buy it tonight. REVIEW HERE if anyone wants to read it.
    Also going to buy Earthbound, as I had forgotten that's on special since yesterday. :)

PullBlox is a great new IP.

Also, Little Inferno has some serious slowdown issues on the wii u, still it's some funtertainment on the thrown.
    Those are the terms and conditions, but the only factor stopping you is spending the 5 minutes to register 3 extra club nintendo accounts.

There is one instance ever, in the world, ever!! of Nintendo deleting one American's games because they did a similar thing to this, but my interpretation of that is the reward there was for actual cash on the eShop, and in America, where consumer rights isn't really the focus of their government.
    I doubt them just deleting your stuff would fly over here.
    Still, was enough for me not to do it, plus the fact I own all the good ones on the list anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As ShadowHearth says, once you get past the first few hours and use some online resources to understand the UI, it becomes very addictive. I never played Monster Hunter before the Wii-U version so a complete novice myself, but it's a great game once you can give it some time.

ProJared's videos are great. He's done some gameplay ones of MH4 coming out next year over here on 3DS I think - looks really good.

@ShadowHearth - do you know if you can transfer MH3U saves back and forth between Wii-U and 3DS? Or is it just one way from 3DS to Wii-U? I was tempted to pick up the handheld version if I'm able to continue my game on that.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    As ShadowHearth says, once you get past the first few hours and use some online resources to understand the UI, it becomes very addictive. I never played Monster Hunter before the Wii-U version so a complete novice myself, but it's a great game once you can give it some time.

ProJared's videos are great. He's done some gameplay ones of MH4 coming out next year over here on 3DS I think - looks really good.

@ShadowHearth - do you know if you can transfer MH3U saves back and forth between Wii-U and 3DS? Or is it just one way from 3DS to Wii-U? I was tempted to pick up the handheld version if I'm able to continue my game on that.

No clue on that m8. In a way I am happy that I can start it again from a scratch. That feeling of getting your Full G. Jaggi set is pricesless. :D

Advertisement