Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @ShadowHearth - do you know if you can transfer MH3U saves back and forth between Wii-U and 3DS? Or is it just one way from 3DS to Wii-U? I was tempted to pick up the handheld version if I'm able to continue my game on that.

THink you can do it both ways - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/guide_transferring_your_monster_hunter_3_ultimate_save_data

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No clue on that m8. In a way I am happy that I can start it again from a scratch. That feeling of getting your Full G. Jaggi set is pricesless. :D

Cool. Looking forward to creating armour sets in time. Think I've killed my first G. Jaggi alright but not enough items yet to start crafting.
    Allyall wrote: »

Cheers. Seriously tempted to get it, although then I'd have to fork out for the Circle Pad Pro XL too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is there any problem using a USB powered hard drive with the Wii U ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cool. Looking forward to creating armour sets in time. Think I've killed my first G. Jaggi alright but not enough items yet to start crafting.

Cheers. Seriously tempted to get it, although then I'd have to fork out for the Circle Pad Pro XL too. :)

G.Jaggi set us fantastic and you will be using it a lot. It gives very handy skills, which make it one of the best sets. Attack, extra stun resist, and extra food from each meal. I even take it when fighting fire based monsters.

I actually played a big part of it with no circle pad pro and was doing fine. Just centering camera with bumper. At one stage I was not even bothering with circle pad.

I have to say, that after playing wii u version I won't be back to 3ds version any time soon. Plus 3ds has no online.

I wish more boardsies would play monster hunter on wii u. I would love some online game with others. :(

Is there any problem using a USB powered hard drive with the Wii U ?

No, but they recommend using one with a dedicated power supply as there are so many, and they vary in performance.
    To ensure maximum performance between your Wii U and an external storage device, we recommend using a hard-disc drive (HDD) with a dedicated power source (i.e., using an A/C adapter). Due to the wide range of external hard drives, usability and performance will vary.

THESE ARE EXAMPLES

• Advertisement

What you use had for? I know you can have games on it, but prices are not great. Surely snes ports are not heavy?

Or you use it for something else?

What you use had for? I know you can have games on it, but prices are not great. Surely snes ports are not heavy?

Storage mainly. Some games can be over 10GB..
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/latam/en/systems/wiiu/system_external_storage.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage

I guess you buy digital versions of wii u games so. Something that I won't be doing though. Unless some snes games.

No, but they recommend using one with a dedicated power supply as there are so many, and they vary in performance.

THESE ARE EXAMPLES

Thanks i have a hard drive docker. One hard drive has my old mac backup and one with tv shows. I have another old hard drive will the WII U let me use that kind of set up ?. As it needed to be powered to be used.

I have 4 WII U games to download next week thank you mario kart codes so i need somewhere to put them as i only have a 8GB myself as i picked it up extremely cheap on one of the things for sale pages on Facebook

I guess you buy digital versions of wii u games so. Something that I won't be doing though. Unless some snes games.

Yep, you can, but some games you can ONLY buy digitally.
    If I can buy the game on disc, that's the version I'd get, but some have to be downloaded.

http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu-eshop/games

• Advertisement

Thanks i have a hard drive docker. One hard drive has my old mac backup and one with tv shows. I have another old hard drive will the WII U let me use that kind of set up ?. As it needed to be powered to be used.

I can't see why not, but somebody else may be able to tell you which drives are better for the Wii U.

Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6, and Mega Man Battle Network are all out this Thursday?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_%28PAL_region%29#Future_releases

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Megaman 1 through to 8 on the PS2 compilation.
    It's pretty nice but, boy, are those games tough!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have Megaman 1 through to 8 on the PS2 compilation.
    It's pretty nice but, boy, are those games tough!

Yeah, and keep you hooked :D

I couldn't find any info earlier, but there's a bit here about it. €4.99 each.

http://www.explosion.com/63977/mega-man-5-and-6-launching-later-this-week-on-wii-u-eu-virtual-console/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

@ShadowHearth - do you know if you can transfer MH3U saves back and forth between Wii-U and 3DS? Or is it just one way from 3DS to Wii-U? I was tempted to pick up the handheld version if I'm able to continue my game on that.
    There's an app on the wii u's eshop to transfer your save back to the 3ds, but a friend of mine had some complaints about how clunky back and forth saving is, I think it was something to the tune of:
    If you do anything after transferring the save, you can't transfer back
    I dunno what that meant, but yeah.

The wii u will format an entire drive to it's own format.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just got the 2 controllers. They feel amazing in your hands. Cheers vestek!

Well that didn't last very long. Something blew on the board leaving both horizontal axes in the analogue completely broken. Opened everything up to find some extremely shoddy solder work on it. Just got a pair of official controllers instead. :/

I think the only unofficial controller I'd buy (After reading that) would be the Nyko Pro Commander for the Wii U (As they get good reviews).
    But I haven't been able to find them over this side of the Atlantic for a decent price. Always €80 or some crazy price.

I have seen the identical Android version - Playpad Pro but I don't know if it would work with the Wii U, or be made to. So I haven't bought it.

There is no way in hell I would pay more than the official, for an unoffical controller, €80 is a ridiculous price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well that didn't last very long. Something blew on the board leaving both horizontal axes in the analogue completely broken. Opened everything up to find some extremely shoddy solder work on it. Just got a pair of official controllers instead. :/

Ohh? Mine has been fine. That's pretty bad as the manufacturer are normally pretty solid.

Been waiting for the WII U shop to update for nearly the last hour :/. Is the Wii U always this slow ?. Like it updated the system software in like 20 mins this mooring so i have no clue really.

Picked up a 500GB HD 2nd hand yesterday for €15 and it works and does the job on the WII U for storing the free games i got with my 4 copys of mario kart.

Only thing i am not looking forward to downloading them on the WII U as the thing is extremely slow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    There's an app on the wii u's eshop to transfer your save back to the 3ds, but a friend of mine had some complaints about how clunky back and forth saving is, I think it was something to the tune of:

One of the transfers (WiiU to 3DS or 3DS to WiiU) effectively wipes the data from your game on the system you transferred from. The other keeps a backup and you can recover the backup. But the idea is that you move your data from one to the other, play, then save and move it back. You are not supposed to have 2 concurrent sets of game data. (I think the 3DS is the one that keeps the backup you can revert to.) - Anyway, I think the issue is that if you move your data off, then revert to the backup, you can't copy the data back from the other console. It becomes frustrating because at the end of every WiiU play session you feel obliged to move your data back to the 3DS just in case you decide you want to play MH between now and the next time you're in front of the WiiU. And it's not quick or trivial to do that.

In keeping with this, when you move data from one to the other, it moves ALL data - your 3 saves and all DLC content.

It is clunky as ****. It's lazy. It also makes no sense - you are far more likely to only want to move 1 character back and forth than the whole set of them. A DLC Synch rather than out-right overwrite would have been a decent compromise to accomodate that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Banjo wrote: »
    One of the transfers (WiiU to 3DS or 3DS to WiiU) effectively wipes the data from your game on the system you transferred from. The other keeps a backup and you can recover the backup. But the idea is that you move your data from one to the other, play, then save and move it back. You are not supposed to have 2 concurrent sets of game data. (I think the 3DS is the one that keeps the backup you can revert to.) - Anyway, I think the issue is that if you move your data off, then revert to the backup, you can't copy the data back from the other console. It becomes frustrating because at the end of every WiiU play session you feel obliged to move your data back to the 3DS just in case you decide you want to play MH between now and the next time you're in front of the WiiU. And it's not quick or trivial to do that.

In keeping with this, when you move data from one to the other, it moves ALL data - your 3 saves and all DLC content.

It is clunky as ****. It's lazy. It also makes no sense - you are far more likely to only want to move 1 character back and forth than the whole set of them. A DLC Synch rather than out-right overwrite would have been a decent compromise to accomodate that.

Yeah, after reading the link posted by Allyall, I couldn't be bothered getting the 3DS version, too much hassle to swap between the two. Should just involve uploads & downloads to work.
    Been waiting for the WII U shop to update for nearly the last hour :/. Is the Wii U always this slow ?. Like it updated the system software in like 20 mins this mooring so i have no clue really.

Picked up a 500GB HD 2nd hand yesterday for €15 and it works and does the job on the WII U for storing the free games i got with my 4 copys of mario kart.

Only thing i am not looking forward to downloading them on the WII U as the thing is extremely slow

I don't find it that slow, although I'm using the LAN adapter rather than Wifi. The update only took 15mins in total for me (5 min download, 10 update).

Change your wii u's MTU to match your modem/router, and disable the firewall/make the wii u's mac/ip address whitelisted.
    I have no idea how to do that on your setup, but it'll make it a tiny bit less slow ime, still slow as balls compared to something like steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Question, if yer gamepad breaks, what to do? They dont sell them separately from what i can see, is it just tough **** use your pro controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

nix wrote: »
    Question, if yer gamepad breaks, what to do? They dont sell them separately from what i can see, is it just tough **** use your pro controller?

As far as I know you have to contact Nintendo. I'm not sure just using the Pro Controller is even an option to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Deano7788 wrote: »
    As far as I know you have to contact Nintendo. I'm not sure just using the Pro Controller is even an option to be honest.

It has been for all wii u games ive played so far, battery life on the gamepad isnt the best so ive had to switch to pro a few times and it works.

nix wrote: »

http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/ talk to the guys here on the livechat, my gamepad broke a month or two after launch, the replacement and everything to do with the whole experience was painless.

It was horrible, the console was basically useless because everything required the gamepad to work apart from the only non-zombiu/nintendoland game I had, which I think was trine.
    And at the time I think trine didn't support the pro controller.

They quoted me €90 I think, because it sounded like it was my fault, but they never charged me (one morning i woke up to the whole screen bleeding all over the inside), because I assume it was a manufacture problem.
    I think they asked me to take pictures and send them in with it and stuff, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If you're bored and looking for something to watch, Nintendo are streaming live from SDCC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idw0P5x5b14 or
    http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not really worth posting here but I feel this when I see people say Nintendo do not make brand new IPs AND rehases.

http://playeressence.com/nintendo-has-made-71-brand-new-franchises-since-2001/

Nintendo Gamecube

Pikmin
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
    Animal Crossing
    Battalion Wars
    Geist
    Chibi-Robo
    Odama
    Nintendo Wii

Art Style
    Wii series
    Endless Ocean
    Disaster: Day of Crisis
    Pandora’s Tower
    Kiki Trick
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    The Last Story
    Zangeki no Reginleiv
    Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
    Rock N’ Roll Climber
    PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
    You, Me and the Cubes
    Eco Shooter: Plant 530
    Snowpack Park
    ThruSpace
    Line Attack Heroes
    Fluidity
    Wii U

Wonderful 101
    Splatoon
    Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
    Magical Vacation
    Napoleon
    Kuririn
    Horse Racing Creating Derby
    Stafy
    Tomato Adventure
    Drill Dozer
    Rhythm Tengoku
    bit Generations
    Nintendo DS

Polarium
    Nintendogs
    Jump Super Stars
    Electroplankton
    Big Brain Academy
    Brain Age
    Clubhouse Games
    Magnetica
    Elite Beat Agents
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215
    Trace Memory
    Master of Illusion
    Slide Adventure MAGKID
    Soma Bringer
    Jam with the Band
    Fossil Fighters
    Style Savvy
    Glory of Heracles
    Friend Collection
    Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?
    Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide What To Eat?
    Dsi

Aura Aura Climber
    Art Academy
    Kappa Trail
    Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons
    Nintendo 3DS

Codename S.T.E.A.M
    Steel Diver
    Tomodachi Life
    3DS Ware

Harmo Knight
    Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
    Pushmo
    Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
    Dillon’s Rolling Western
    Ketzal’s Corridors

Guess that debunks everyone who says otherwise further :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

So I've owned mine about two weeks now. What a console. Sold my PS4 to buy it since I've no interest in the PS4 for the time being. Will probably end up buying one again when it gets it's inevitable slim revision and price drop. But my God, the Wii U. Played it more in two weeks than the PS4 in three months.

Just got around to getting a Wiimote and chuck and installing Wii flow today which has opened up a whole other world for me since I never owned a Wii. Love it.

• Advertisement

So I've owned mine about two weeks now. What a console. Sold my PS4 to buy it since I've no interest in the PS4 for the time being. Will probably end up buying one again when it gets it's inevitable slim revision and price drop. But my God, the Wii U. Played it more in two weeks than the PS4 in three months.

Just got around to getting a Wiimote and chuck and installing Wii flow today which has opened up a whole other world for me since I never owned a Wii. Love it.

Funny enough I am in love with it too. If there is one thing that annoys me, its Tablet controller battery life. Its just as bad as PS4, but at least Wii U got excuse of having a huge screen on it lol.

I was sure that Ninty offered bigger batteries for it?

I discovered today that wii U got stylus lol. Played pikmin 3 and all instructions were with Stylus. After flipping controller for few times I found it! :D

Advertisement