Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Funny enough I am in love with it too. If there is one thing that annoys me, its Tablet controller battery life. Its just as bad as PS4, but at least Wii U got excuse of having a huge screen on it lol.

I was sure that Ninty offered bigger batteries for it?

I discovered today that wii U got stylus lol. Played pikmin 3 and all instructions were with Stylus. After flipping controller for few times I found it! :D

How are you finding Pikmin 3? I loved it but I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it, as a newcomer to Nintendo and the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Deano7788 wrote: »
    How are you finding Pikmin 3? I loved it but I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it, as a newcomer to Nintendo and the Wii U.

How Ironic this post is right now... Unless you are just taking a piss. :D

Well, I fired it up today for the first time. I had to show that I play something else outside of Monster Hunter 3 lol.
    First of all, it just got me by the balls by whole presentation and Visuals. I just looked at it and said to myself "its so cool". I dont want to say word "cute" as it would miss represent it in a bad way.
    Controls are a bit hit and miss. I used Wii U tablet controller, which took some time to get used to. Somehow I have a feeling they could have done better with it. some people here already advised to use wiimote with nunchuck with it and thats what I am going to do next.
    Game itself? At the same time easy to start and get the Concept, but it just forces you to think in advance and plan a lot. There is a lot more tactical fidelity in it then you would think. Idea is easy. You control an army of small Pikmins. There are different type of Pikmins, which are used for different enemies or wall breaking, all easy and good. Challange becomes when you look at it from bigger picture point. Goal is to do story objectives and collect Food. You got limited time each day, so you have to choose wisely where to explore next, how much time it will take you and is it worth the risk exploring further. If you dont get back home in time - game over. Any pikmins left outside for the night - dead. I actually lost good few Pikmins in first two levels and it made me a bit sad. Cruel game makes you watch on how you leave them behind and how they are being eaten by local fauna. :(
    So is it fun? **** yeah. Is it challenging? **** yeah! Though I cant even say proper genre for it. Puzzle RTS?
    Take it for what its worth, but it get 2 thumbs up from me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well, I fired it up today for the first time. I had to show that I play something else outside of Monster Hunter 3 lol.
    First of all, it just got me by the balls by whole presentation and Visuals. I just looked at it and said to myself "its so cool". I dont want to say word "cute" as it would miss represent it in a bad way.
    Controls are a bit hit and miss. I used Wii U tablet controller, which took some time to get used to. Somehow I have a feeling they could have done better with it. some people here already advised to use wiimote with nunchuck with it and thats what I am going to do next.
    Game itself? At the same time easy to start and get the Concept, but it just forces you to think in advance and plan a lot. There is a lot more tactical fidelity in it then you would think. Idea is easy. You control an army of small Pikmins. There are different type of Pikmins, which are used for different enemies or wall breaking, all easy and good. Challange becomes when you look at it from bigger picture point. Goal is to do story objectives and collect Food. You got limited time each day, so you have to choose wisely where to explore next, how much time it will take you and is it worth the risk exploring further. If you dont get back home in time - game over. Any pikmins left outside for the night - dead. I actually lost good few Pikmins in first two levels and it made me a bit sad. Cruel game makes you watch on how you leave them behind and how they are being eaten by local fauna. :(
    So is it fun? **** yeah. Is it challenging? **** yeah! Though I cant even say proper genre for it. Puzzle RTS?

I dunno why but I am just have a huge grin with your posts recently , after all the banter we had in the past :P

I dunno why but I am just have a huge grin with your posts recently , after all the banter we had in the past :P

Well, I am not afraid to say that I was wrong. And in a good few ways I was wrong about Wii U ( even then I was not writing it off ).
    What can I say, I LOVE games and LOVE hardware that plays games. That love does not stop me giving criticism to consoles though! :p Its just a shame some people see me from a very very different perspective.

As for Wii U. It actually gives me a grin on my face and it feels like a next gen of gaming. I dont really care that much about its lack power( considering I am a PC master race prick ), but it is next gen in its functions, ideas and just general design. I just love that thing! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They do, they go in vertically as opposed to horizontally.

I saw them advertised practically feckin' everywhere at a massive discount a few months ago, and meant to grab one.. :( (I didn't realise that < €10 was a massive discount at the time.)

I'm hoping they'll appear somewhere else soon.

• Advertisement

Well, I am not afraid to say that I was wrong. And in a good few ways I was wrong about Wii U ( even then I was not writing it off ).
    What can I say, I LOVE games and LOVE hardware that plays games. That love does not stop me giving criticism to consoles though! :p Its just a shame some people see me from a very very different perspective.

Ah I love it , its what keeps me coming to boards , leaves for some fun stories and memories , in the end all play the same games and have a laugh :L

btw you should try out the tank tank tank game if its still on the eshop it should be f2p also try out the wonderful 101 demo if you like pikmin 3 , similar in concept but more arcadey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just to clarify, I've had a Wii U since launch and have been a Nintendo fan since I was 3 so I'm not new:pac:.

It was interesting to get your opinion because a lot of the regular posters here would have grown up with Nintendo, whereas you're more of an outsider to the company, coming from a PC Gaming background, so would bring a different viewpoint.

I think its a really underrated game, and wiimote and nunchcuck is definitely the way to go, although you can still use the gamepad as a map and for the go here function.

I had a big smile playing it the whole time, so good to hear you've enjoyed it so far. Wait until you play the challenges :)

Allyall wrote: »
    They do, they go in vertically as opposed to horizontally.

I saw them advertised practically feckin' everywhere at a massive discount a few months ago, and meant to grab one.. :( (I didn't realise that < €10 was a massive discount at the time.)

I'm hoping they'll appear somewhere else soon.

Bookmark just went in to "stuff to get" folder. 24£ does not look too bad. I will try to sneak in a little order from amazon soon enough. All will be Wii U based. Misses will stab me...

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I've had a Wii U since launch and have been a Nintendo fan since I was 3 so I'm not new:pac:.

It was interesting to get your opinion because a lot of the regular posters here would have grown up with Nintendo, whereas you're more of an outsider to the company, coming from a PC Gaming background, so would bring a different viewpoint.

I think its a really underrated game, and wiimote and nunchcuck is definitely the way to go, although you can still use the gamepad as a map and for the go here function.

I had a big smile playing it the whole time, so good to hear you've enjoyed it so far. Wait until you play the challenges :)

Ah, I see where you coming from. Its a very unique game and it does the whole "game" thing very well. For comparison, I played Little Kings story, which has a very similar concept and I just hated that game. funny enough, I think that it would be so much easier to control with mouse and keyboard lol.

On other topic: I would LOVE to get my hands on Lego game. Its a shame prices for it are just crazy, considering its such an old title now. thats the thing I noticed about wii u/3ds. Some games are just dirt piss cheap, but other games just hold their value so damn well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Funny enough I am in love with it too. If there is one thing that annoys me, its Tablet controller battery life. Its just as bad as PS4, but at least Wii U got excuse of having a huge screen on it lol.

No complaints about the tablet life myself, although it's pretty much just my secondary controller. Bought the PDP Afterglow Controller (€30) and it's absolutely brilliant, can't compare it to the Wii U Pro Controller since I don't have one, they were sold out when I went to get one in Gamestop but for €20 cheaper in brick and mortar stores I really would recommend everyone pick one up.

Also anyone stuck for Wiimotes/chucks like myself who didn't own a Wii, I recommend the Motion 2 in 1 off eBay, remote and chuck. Can get them in a load of colours from UK sellers, comes to about €18 including delivery. Battery life is excellent, connects to the Wii U no problem. Got to compare it to a real Wiimote today and noticed no difference, certainly not a ~€30 one.

Edit; You can get bigger batteries for the Gamepad for sure! No idea where off the top of my head

• Advertisement

No complaints about the tablet life myself, although it's pretty much just my secondary controller. Bought the PDP Afterglow Controller (€30) and it's absolutely brilliant, can't compare it to the Wii U Pro Controller since I don't have one, they were sold out when I went to get one in Gamestop but for €20 cheaper in brick and mortar stores I really would recommend everyone pick one up.

Also anyone stuck for Wiimotes/chucks like myself who didn't own a Wii, I recommend the Motion 2 in 1 off eBay, remote and chuck. Can get them in a load of colours from UK sellers, comes to about €18 including delivery. Battery life is excellent, connects to the Wii U no problem. Got to compare it to a real Wiimote today and noticed no difference, certainly not a ~€30 one.

Edit; You can get bigger batteries for the Gamepad for sure! No idea where off the top of my head

How come you are not using the tablet controller? I find it a fantastic controller and I want it now for all of my gaming devices! :D
    I find it so handy playing games like monster hunter. I got my main potions on a button, but when I need something situational like Sharpening stone, antidote, hot drink etc I can just pop inventory on tablet and chose an item. I Dont need to scroll through all items, then scroll back to potions. Having info on my party on tablet is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

How come you are not using the tablet controller?

I hate change! It's grand really but I mostly play the Wii U in bed so the gamepad is a bit cumbersome when lying down. Plus for the only Wii U games I own thus far, WW HD and MK8, I've found the classic controller type more comfortable, although I liked having the map and inventory so close for Zelda. I want to pick up Monster Hunter actually so I'll probably try it out again for that. I do hope a lot of games take advantage of it's capabilities.

I hate change! It's grand really but I mostly play the Wii U in bed so the gamepad is a bit cumbersome when lying down. Plus for the only Wii U games I own thus far, WW HD and MK8, I've found the classic controller type more comfortable, although I liked having the map and inventory so close for Zelda. I want to pick up Monster Hunter actually so I'll probably try it out again for that. I do hope a lot of games take advantage of it's capabilities.

I actually play in bed too. King size mattress and covered in pillows lol. I find it still handy. In fact it fits perfectly on my belly lol.
    I understand with MK9, it does not really adds anything. In such twitch game anything that makes you distracted from main screen will mean your death.
    I think zombieU has a great tablet controller use. I need to get that game!

Lads seriously am I playing New super mario bros u or dark souls because this game is fcuking me up big style

Hard as bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Nollog

I usually just play on the gamepad despite the TV a few feet in front of me sitting idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lads seriously am I playing New super mario bros u or dark souls because this game is fcuking me up big style

Hard as bollocks

I found it ok. Some frustrating parts near the end alright but otherwise overall I found its difficulty level way easier than the likes of sm3.

Very underrated game. It looks gorgeous as well in hd imo

Some people might think that hell froze, Or pigs started to fly, because I just bought Super Mario world on wii u.
    From your recommendations too! You better not be wrong about this or I will come to your home and tap your window with machete until I get my 7.99eu back!

Some people might think that hell froze, Or pigs started to fly, because I just bought Super Mario world on wii u.
    From your recommendations too! You better not be wrong about this or I will come to your home and tap your window with machete until I get my 7.99eu back!

For a minute there I thought you were talking about NSMB U for €7.99!

There'll be no machete necessary though as Super Mario World is class. Enjoy.

For a minute there I thought you were talking about NSMB U for €7.99!

There'll be no machete necessary though as Super Mario World is class. Enjoy.

Hehe, well I am **** at mario games. It's fun, but hard. You can save only when you finish one island etc? If I lose all 1ups, I will have to start everything from start? Or from where you saved?
    Feels like old school darks souks lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Hehe, well I am **** at mario games. It's fun, but hard. You can save only when you finish one island etc? If I lose all 1ups, I will have to start everything from start? Or from where you saved?
    Feels like old school darks souks lol.

You can save when you finish a ghost house, a castle, a fortress or a switch palace, there's a couple other levels too but I won't describe them as that'd be a spoiler :) If you lose all your lives you go back to the last time you saved it. There are save states on the Wii U emulator but try not to use them :) When I first played the game (a long long time ago!) I used to go back and redo a ghost house when I needed to save, say before a really hard level). There's a way of redoing castles too but I can't remember which buttons to press off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

abbir wrote: »
    You can save when you finish a ghost house, a castle, a fortress or a switch palace, there's a couple other levels too but I won't describe them as that'd be a spoiler :) If you lose all your lives you go back to the last time you saved it. There are save states on the Wii U emulator but try not to use them :) When I first played the game (a long long time ago!) I used to go back and redo a ghost house when I needed to save, say before a really hard level). There's a way of redoing castles too but I can't remember which buttons to press off the top of my head.

I'm playing through the first castlevania game at the minute on Wii U and all I can say is thank the lord for save states.

Don't get me wrong when I was young and had hours and hours everyday I could play and persevere with tough games. These days eh screw that. I want to enjoy games at a hard level but not frustratingly so as I don't get a lot of game time.

I play a lot of arcade games as I play in short bursts a lot. Played Stag XII the other night for example. Good shmupy goodness

abbir wrote: »
    Yeah, I figured it out now. Completed two castles and I can say that ghost houses can rightfully feck off. Coming in to ghost house with 13 1ups and get out with barely 5. Always die to random stuff or when I rush lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Heh, wait till you get to the last two levels, my veins have muscles from all the nearly bursting in rage :D

nix wrote: »
    Heh, wait till you get to the last two levels, my veins have muscles from all the nearly bursting in rage :D

For a kids game I had used word Feck a lot! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

For a kids game I had used word Feck a lot! :D

It's definitely not. Most of the Mario platformers can be pretty tough at times, never unfair though, they just showed you how crap you were long before Dark Souls ever did. Nothing a bit of practice can't cure. :D

I do envy you playing SMW for the first time though, amazing game. If Mario platformers do begin to tickle your fancy, then there's lots more brilliant examples; SMB3, Galaxy 1&2, NSMBU, 3D Land & World...

Right, super mario world can go and suck a dick.

I am stuck now on castle 3. I get to a boss of it, but I just don't have enough lives to clear it. I just suck. Every time you fail a boss it drops to the last check point ( if you found it).
    I then decided to go and farm a few lifes. Got up to 20 and saved by doing ghost house again. To my surprise it does not save your lifes it only gives you 5 again when you load up. Bah!
    So I guess I will just have to go and farm lifes every time I play this game.

I know why 1up concept died out lol. Really frustrating.

Really god damn hard game. I guess its still carries old game legacy and modern gamers are just **** at gaming lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Right, super mario world can go and suck a dick.

I am stuck now on castle 3. I get to a boss of it, but I just don't have enough lives to clear it. I just suck. Every time you fail a boss it drops to the last check point ( if you found it).
    I then decided to go and farm a few lifes. Got up to 20 and saved by doing ghost house again. To my surprise it does not save your lifes it only gives you 5 again when you load up. Bah!
    So I guess I will just have to go and farm lifes every time I play this game.

I know why 1up concept died out lol. Really frustrating.

Really god damn hard game. I guess its still carries old game legacy and modern gamers are just **** at gaming lol.

*Removes from Watch List*

tZOS8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

heh i had a steady 40ish lives the whole way through the game till i got to 2nd last level, i lost near to 30 trying to get passed that one level, head was melted. But eh, your lives do save, its just when you lose them all and continue, you just restart with like 5 lives, it doesnt reload your last save i dont think.. I dont know, i never lost them all :D I think it happened my nephew when i watched him play...

nix wrote: »
    heh i had a steady 40ish lives the whole way through the game till i got to 2nd last level, i lost near to 30 trying to get passed that one level, head was melted. But eh, your lives do save, its just when you lose them all and continue, you just restart with like 5 lives, it doesnt reload your last save i dont think.. I dont know, i never lost them all :D I think it happened my nephew when i watched him play...

I am just very bad at platformers. So I die a lot. I do get good at those levels after 20th time! :pac:
    I had saved with 20lifes, then just did a reset. Which saved where I had cleared, but did not saved lifes. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I am just very bad at platformers. So I die a lot. I do get good at those levels after 20th time! :pac:
    I had saved with 20lifes, then just did a reset. Which saved where I had cleared, but did not saved lifes. Weird.

That's how it worked originally, your lives weren't saved. You could use Save States in the Wii U emulator to keep your lives if you want.

Advertisement