Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads is there anyway i restrict my 8 years access to stuff without stopping youtube, when i restrict the game age it stops access

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh this is great. Himself had been playing Mario bros all morning on the game pad while I watch a film about a nun. Everyone is happy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am finding the whole experience with the WiiU very unpleasant, turning the Nintendo console from a pure gaming pleasure into a multi media mess, with forced updates and dodgy wifi links.
    I was never a tremendous fan of the Gamecube design but at least the only thing you have to do to play Metroid Prime is to unbox a new machine, pop in a memory card, the game disk and off you got to gaming nirvana.
    Now it wants updates, emails, manually inputted ip details, so much stuff, at this rate we'll be dropping into Nintendo blood, urine, stool and, where applicable, a sperm sample, just post in your underpants to save time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am finding the whole experience with the WiiU very unpleasant, turning the Nintendo console from a pure gaming pleasure into a multi media mess, with forced updates and dodgy wifi links.
    I was never a tremendous fan of the Gamecube design but at least the only thing you have to do to play Metroid Prime is to unbox a new machine, pop in a memory card, the game disk and off you got to gaming nirvana.
    Now it wants updates, emails, manually inputted ip details, so much stuff, at this rate we'll be dropping into Nintendo blood, urine, stool and, where applicable, a sperm sample, just post in your underpants to save time!

Still it could be worse...you could have to use SEN :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Has now ordered a Wii U :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I felt that way the first 2 days alright. But once I had it all sorted it's been smooth enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Been loving the Wii U myself, didn't have a single problem with the updates, took as expected really. Super Mario Bros. takes a while to get going but it get's really great the further you get, there really is something special about being able to play on tv and then switch seamlessly to the gamepad and that superb screen. Arkham is great and I'm glad I hadn't played it up until now, playing it on the gamepad with headphones is a different but compelling experience, especially with the radio updates.

The browser is a joy to behold and find myself almost using it more than my laptop for general browsing. Miiverse is strangely fascinating and a refreshing approach to the online console arena, it'll be interesting to see where Nintendo goes with it. Yes it's had its problems but there is so much potential, gaming wise and otherwise, to the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo will react to the problems theres been so far and have fixes etc. in upcoming updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Corholio wrote: »
    Been loving the Wii U myself, didn't have a single problem with the updates, took as expected really. Super Mario Bros. takes a while to get going but it get's really great the further you get, there really is something special about being able to play on tv and then switch seamlessly to the gamepad and that superb screen. Arkham is great and I'm glad I hadn't played it up until now, playing it on the gamepad with headphones is a different but compelling experience, especially with the radio updates.

The browser is a joy to behold and find myself almost using it more than my laptop for general browsing. Miiverse is strangely fascinating and a refreshing approach to the online console arena, it'll be interesting to see where Nintendo goes with it. Yes it's had its problems but there is so much potential, gaming wise and otherwise, to the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo will react to the problems theres been so far and have fixes etc. in upcoming updates.

Same here. No probs with updates so far. The option to play on the pad is a gift in my house. One of my kids wanted to play mario at the same time as the other wanted to watch Garfield so there was an easy fix. Just a bit miffed I havent had time to explore it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm dying to give the media streaming feature a try, I have a feeling it'll be buffer city but we'll see.
    Hoping I can hook it up to my server somehow, as that's where most of my stuff lives.
    Also, there's a piece of software out there that'll transcode your media, on the fly, into the Wii U friendly format, aka mp4, so we'll give it a bash.
    If I can watch Cabin In The Woods on the Gamepad I'll be well impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm dying to give the media streaming feature a try, I have a feeling it'll be buffer city but we'll see.

Do you mean native streaming via DNLA or stuff like Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Streaming through the browser is absolutely amazing.

Set mine up today for mp4 files and works perfect.

Also got vlc broadcasting to the wiiu for avi files and it worked for a bit

Then it crashed and took out my wifi:eek:

Sparks, I'll have to get your assistance on the streaming thing, it's all so much gobbledygook to me!
    I take it you're using Vidiiustreamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sparks, I'll have to get your assistance on the streaming thing, it's all so much gobbledygook to me!
    I take it you're using Vidiiustreamer?

I have tried the vidiu stream but i found it works best through localhost.

If you are free tommorow send me a message and i will give you a ring

It works great!
    Thanks for your help!
    Unfortunately all my stuff is in avi format, with only a handful of exceptions, but it does look good in those instances, so thanks again!
    Hopefully the next update to the browser with add some better functionality in terms of file types.

Now that's said, I just picked up a 22 euro Wii U pro controller from PC World/Currys, not sure why as all I have is Nintendoland, but what games use the thing? Any from the EShop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dkspex

Now that's said, I just picked up a 22 euro Wii U pro controller from PC World/Currys, not sure why as all I have is Nintendoland, but what games use the thing? Any from the EShop?

Which store did you buy it in? My local PcWorld and Currys didn't have any when I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I hate that people hashtag notes on miiverse. THAT DOESNT WORK YOU IDIOTS

There's another thread for this but it seems to have slipped by the wayside... add my NNID folks if you like:
    MrVestek

Thanks. :-) Can't believe you picked up a pro controller for €22... paid €50 for mine less than a week ago. Works great with Blops 2 and Tekken.

I got one in airside swords, they have one left. I got a Wii mote with motion plus for 9.91 just before Christmas, all gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Where's the cheapest place I can get a Wii U (Premium) and NSMB, and maybe ZombiU in Dublin? Any decent bundles around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Been reading over this thread and the opinion seems to be fairly mixed. It seems the longer you have console the more you grow to dislike it. The shiny new gadget side of it appeals to me especially the controller.
    Where's the cheapest place I can get a Wii U (Premium) and NSMB, and maybe ZombiU in Dublin? Any decent bundles around?

I'm presuming for console deals it would be the same as below. May get something cheaper in a new year sale.

Smyths/Gamestop:
    Basic €319.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €419.99

HMV:
    Basic €314.99
    Premium €374.99
    ZombiU €414.99

Argos:
    Basic €339.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €459.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I'm presuming for console deals it would be the same as below. May get something cheaper in a new year sale.

Smyths/Gamestop:
    Basic €319.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €419.99

HMV:
    Basic €314.99
    Premium €374.99
    ZombiU €414.99

Argos:
    Basic €339.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €459.99

Hmm, thanks for that. I think the Premium & NSMBU in HMV might be the way to go. ZombiU will probably be half price in a few months, whereas NSMBU and Nintendoland will retain their value, as per all Nintendo first party titles..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hmm, thanks for that. I think the Premium & NSMBU in HMV might be the way to go. ZombiU will probably be half price in a few months, whereas NSMBU and Nintendoland will retain their value, as per all Nintendo first party titles..

Differences between the bundles below:

Premium Edition

•Everything in Basic Wii U bundle
    •32GB memory
    •Wii Sensor Bar
    •HDMI cable
    •Charging cradle and stands for console and controller
    •Nintendo Land Game
    •Nintendo Network Premium Subscription

Premium Edition

•Black Wii U
    •Black GamePad
    •32GB hard drive
    •Wii Sensor Bar
    •ZombiU game
    •Nintendo Network Premium Subscription
    •Black Wii U Pro Controller

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Premium edition is black with a black Wii U gamepad too, it's not just the ZombiU bundle.
    (Note, gamepad, not pro controller)

The ZombiU bundle was intended to be release only, so may not be much availability left on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I hate that people hashtag notes on miiverse. THAT DOESNT WORK YOU IDIOTS

srsly? what a bunch of idiots #miiverse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dkspex

has anyone here traded in Nintendo Land? Just wondering what shops are giving for it as I don't like it and probably won't play it again.

Once again, Harvey Norman had some great prices on the Premium bundle, less than €360, not sure if that's still available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My 270 euro Wii U should be arriving tomorrow or monday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rumours of a cartridge being made for the 3DS that will allow it to be like a second gamepad for the Wii U.

Nintendo seem to be a little quiet since the Wii U went on sale, hope we start hearing some stuff now the holiday season is nearly over.

I have to say, this is very cool though: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2012/Christmas-greetings-from-Satoru-Shibata--698454.html

People criticise Nintendo for being 'kid friendly', but small things like this, in the form it's presented, have always made me warm to them as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Haha, that letter is brilliant!
    Ya wouldnt see Sony releasing anything like that!!

'I ended up having to watch Nintendo Direct on December 5th on the TV in our living room with her. I have to say, it was a little embarrassing to watch myself on a huge TV screen together with my wife, especially because my face looked so tired on that Nintendo Direct…'

Thats honest.

Wonder what tablet he and his wife were thinking of buying...

• Advertisement

Haha, that letter is brilliant!
    Ya wouldnt see Sony releasing anything like that!!

'I ended up having to watch Nintendo Direct on December 5th on the TV in our living room with her. I have to say, it was a little embarrassing to watch myself on a huge TV screen together with my wife, especially because my face looked so tired on that Nintendo Direct…'

Thats honest.

Wonder what tablet he and his wife were thinking of buying...

A Sony Tablet S? :P

Advertisement