Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wish they were a bit posable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, for the days when we could store save games in tiny memory cards as opposed to expensive plastic toys :p Especially these days when in theory you could just pull down the necessary data from online.

Really don't see the appeal of the Amiibo figures myself outside of display items on the shelf, and that aspect wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, for the days when we could store save games in tiny memory cards as opposed to expensive plastic toys :p Especially these days when in theory you could just pull down the necessary data from online.

Really don't see the appeal of the Amiibo figures myself outside of display items on the shelf, and that aspect wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

I suppose you're not the target of this product and you can safely disregard it and play as normal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I suppose you're not the target of this product and you can safely disregard it and play as normal.

Who are though - younger players who might play these games in friends houses and then want to bring that progress back with them? Or do adults do that still? Not slating the products mind, some of them might eventually find their way into my house having young kids and all. There's obviously a demand for them too I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Absolutely, and I plan on doing so :) As long as they remain optional and core game features aren't crippled unless you own them, it's all good! If they're a hit, that's cool too as Nintendo need those kinds of commercial successes (Wouldn't have any issue whatsoever with a Skylanders style game built around them, mind, even if I'd have no interest in it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Given Smash Bros for example, you can customise your characters move sets, attributes etc... save this to your Amiibo, and then use it on another console for example, transferring between 3DS and Wii U, or from 3DS to a mates Wii U where you're having a Smash tournament.

Similarly, they can allow some of this to be transferred to another game, to unlock certain features or a special move, or a weapon within that game for example by using your Amiibo that you've stored other game stats on. There's a lot they could do with it, finding the right balance would be the tricky thing.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Given Smash Bros for example, you can customise your characters move sets, attributes etc... save this to your Amiibo, and then use it on another console for example, transferring between 3DS and Wii U, or from 3DS to a mates Wii U where you're having a Smash tournament.

Wouldn't it be easier just to have a cross-save feature though? I can continue a game I'm playing on Vita on PS3 or 4 without having to make an additional purchase or carry around a plastic figurine. A bit harder on a friend's console, granted, but theoretically possible with cloud saving. Plenty of games when you can download other player's customised data without any effort.

There's a definite commercial sense behind limiting these features to Amiibo, but at the same time it's making some common, free features on other formats a more expensive and even unwieldy proposition. Maybe it merely highlights again how backwards Nintendo are in their online efforts as opposed to a flaw with Amiibo figures. I'd love Nintendo to look to Sony particular and start applying some of their cross-format logic, and I think that could exist alongside Amiibo.

Oh without a doubt, they could learn loads from how Sony handle purchases across both the Vita and PS3/4.

I guess it'll all really come down to how they implement it, eg. touch off your Samus Amiibo on a character select screen to unlock a special costume for your characters and so on, so that you're essentially buying multi-game DLC by buying the Amiibo figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

With this 'wearable' devices they plan on bringing in for the 'quality of life' things they have planned, they should have a jogging specific device that you wear and when you touch the Samus Amiibo to a finger pulse device you can then complete your run rolled up in a ball.

Printing money!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Corholio wrote: »
    With this 'wearable' devices they plan on bringing in for the 'quality of life' things they have planned, they should have a jogging specific device that you wear and when you touch the Samus Amiibo to a finger pulse device you can then complete your run rolled up in a ball.

Printing money!

I'd say that's not the only rolling you're doing today!
    Hiiii-oooooo!
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Soo there's a rumour (pinch of salt etc) that there is extra special super duper bonus characters unlocked in Smash when you connect your Wii U to the 3DS.

The rumoured characters are:

Dixie Kong, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo.

RIDLEY..........

10-puentes-mas-terrorifico-tierra-L-EI4jUo.jpeg

Treehouse live now with Captain Toad new levels
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/v/TPp_k_ykybY
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Platinum members in the States are getting Smash 3DS demo today.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Treehouse live now with Captain Toad new levels
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/v/TPp_k_ykybY
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Platinum members in the States are getting Smash 3DS demo today.

Apparently some UK Club Nintendo members also get it today. Let us know how it is if anyone gets it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Corholio wrote: »
    Apparently some UK Club Nintendo members also get it today. Let us know how it is if anyone gets it!

Ok, so I just got mine actually. There's a complication. It actually gives 3 extra ones for friends.

I suppose anyone with a 3DS and didn't get codes, post here. I'll send a PM to the first 3 with a code.

Edit: Download s 1429 blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got it too, am just charging up the XL now before I download.

So I have 2 codes left now (CastorTroy got one).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hey Deano,

I'll take one please if no one else wants it.

But I am on record as saying I'm not the biggest Smash Bros fan in the world, so only if no one else pipes up!

(I used not be the biggest Mario Kart fan until 8 came along, so i might well love it all the same!)

Thanks!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Hey Deano,

I'll take one please if no one else wants it.

But I am on record as saying I'm not the biggest Smash Bros fan in the world, so only if no one else pipes up!

(I used not be the biggest Mario Kart fan until 8 came along, so i might well love it all the same!)

Thanks!

Cool, I'll wait half an hour, and if no one comes in it's yours (unless you'd like it to try and change your mind anyway. Just say :))

Is it a limited demo like others where you only have 15 or so goes?

Danger of this demo is I might like it which would mean buying it and the Wii U version.

Was just thinking, how about changing the thread title to be a Wii U and 3DS discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd love a smash bros code please if anyone's kind enough.

• Advertisement

My last 2 codes are going to Donie and Cloud so. I'll send them on shortly.

Oh, and the mail said no limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cheers very much :)

PMs sent to both of ye. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No limit demo, pretty good too.

3DS may be used as a Wii U controller? Though may just be for Smash
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/09/12/report-3ds-can-be-used-as-a-wii-u-controller-in-super-smash-bros

The new issue of Games TM has a review of Hyrule Warriors. It gave it
    8/10 and said it was a surprisingly good spin off.

Nintendo apparently working on a standalone Pokemon handheld if this recently registered patent is anything to go by.

new-patent-filed-by-the-pokemon-company-nintendo-ambrella-0.jpg

I've two codes for Smash Bros demo too, first two forum regulars to post here about it get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Oh, I have 2 codes too, first two messages I get gets them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

3 more codes here

Advertisement