Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Do you have a LAN cable adapter for the Wii U ? That would be the best option

No but isn't LAN a lot slower than wi-fi? I have the Wii U beside the powerline receiver and I've another Wii U downstairs beside the UPC box and it too has the same problem. What settings are best to use? I have everything on auto obtain, would it be better to enter this info manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »
    No but isn't LAN a lot slower than wi-fi?

No, quite the opposite. Wi-Fi is much slower than a direct LAN connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

No but isn't LAN a lot slower than wi-fi? I have the Wii U beside the powerline receiver and I've another Wii U downstairs beside the UPC box and it too has the same problem. What settings are best to use? I have everything on auto obtain, would it be better to enter this info manually?

Yes, I had God awful hassle connecting it initially, and I re-entered everything manually, had not a bother since.

LAN is a lot faster/better.
    I saw a Wii U LAN adaptor for €4 in Currys/PC World in Airside on Wednesday, I was going to buy it, but left in a hurry.. There were about three or four, and were the only Wii U products that I saw.

It was a long time ago, but I'm almost certain that these are the instructions I followed - http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do
    1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Never heard that before.
    I would always go for wired over wireless. Much more stable and reliable. Standard Cat 5 is 10/100 Mbps, Cat 5e up to 1 Gigabit (1000 Mbps) and Cat 6 up to 10Gigabit IIRC (but I'm open to correction).

Wireless N (Max WiFi Wii U supports) is max 600 Mbps - (B/G are even less) - see Wikipedia here

So a regular Cat 5e connection is always gonna be better that WiFi (due to stability, guaranteed connection and higher speed) in my opinion (I'm always open to correction though)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Normally yes wired is much faster if you just have an ethernet cable linking directly from router to PC. But Wii U is different, I've read several places of people complaining about it. I think the USB 2.0 creates a bottleneck for the transfer of data. I'm a noob with some tech so forgive me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Normally yes wired is much faster if you just have an ethernet cable linking directly from router to PC. But Wii U is different, I've read several places of people complaining about it. I think the USB 2.0 creates a bottleneck for the transfer of data. I'm a noob with some tech so forgive me if I'm wrong.
    Ahh - didn't realise there was a Wii U Ethernet issue!
    Wonder if the USB -> Etherenet is USB 1.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Although it doesn't hold as much weight as it used to, Famitsu gave Bayonetta a score of
    38/40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

USB2 has a transfer speed of 60MB a second; if you are on a cable broadband package over 60MB, then yes, it will be a bottleneck technically.
    If you are on an eircom connection then it won't be.

However, no one needs a 60MB connection for gaming. Quality of service is much more important and I could easily have a better online experience with 6MB as opposed to 60 if the ping rate was better.

So yeah, wired will always be better by miles, even on the "ancient tech" in the wiiu according to some luddites....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

125 years
    Perfect time to announce a new F Zero game if you ask me!

• Advertisement

The waiting for Bayonetta is killing me! Especially when 2 gets 10/10 from Edge and then I see this!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEsjsGeCp2U

Hyrule warriors arrived in work this morning! :D
    Can't wait for some "Huuh!", "Hiiagh!", "Hyiiiiaaaagh!" *

*Link's grunts as he strikes with his sword. Get your minds out of the gutter!

Star Lord wrote: »

*Link's grunts as he strikes with his sword. Get your minds out of the gutter!

Given that I have a month to kill time before bayonetta, this is becoming increasingly tempting. Let us know what you think of it Mr. Quill

No DLC for Watch Dogs on Wii U
    and
    http://wiiudaily.com/2014/09/ubisoft-tweets-watch-dogs-for-wii-u-wont-have-dlc-quickly-deletes-tweet/
    Hmm. The history of Watch Dogs on the Wii U hasn’t been a good one and the game hasn’t even been released yet. Despite being delayed six months and going up against a huge stream of titles this holiday season, it looks like those who purchase the game on the Wii U won’t be getting any DLC either. The first DLC piece Bad Blood launched just a few days ago, so it makes sense that many are wondering if the Wii U will see this included.
    One Wii U fan took to Twitter to ask the official Watch Dogs account and was quickly given this reply:
    @snowyday2 Unfortunately, the DLC will not be available for the WiiU_
    — Watch Dogs (@watchdogsgame) September 24, 2014
    The tweet has since been deleted by the account, but it doesn’t matter because it’s sparked a huge wildfire of rage among those who think Ubisoft plants on releasing the game on Wii U and immediately washing their hands of it. Regardless this is the only official statement we have from Ubisoft and until someone there decides to clarify why the tweet was deleted, we’re inclined to believe that Watch Dogs won’t be seeing any DLC on Wii U.
    :(:(

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/09/25/150-games-for-everything-but-wii-u-highlights-nintendos-third-party-problem/

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Star Lord wrote: »
    Link's grunts as he strikes with his sword. Get your minds out of the gutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Allyall wrote: »

Think my reaction was along the lines of "And water is wet". Sure they didn't release the Assassin's Creed 3 DLC either, did they? But yeah thought there may be a chance they'd give Wii U owners some kind of compensation for delaying so long.

On another note, is there a problem with supplies of Tropical Freeze? ordered off Amazon when they lowered the price while Out of Stock. Nearly a month later and they never got stock back in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CastorTroy wrote: »
    On another note, is there a problem with supplies of Tropical Freeze? ordered off Amazon when they lowered the price while Out of Stock. Nearly a month later and they never got stock back in

Argos have it for €45 just in case you weren't aware (and if it's not way more than your Amazon price). In stock in most places too.

Just played the first two levels of Hyrule Warriors. It's very different, but decimating hoards of enemies is proving to be very fun so far!

Does anyone know if there is a Smash bros gaming/special/other edition?

This is available in the states - http://www.gaming-age.com/2014/09/super-smash-bros-gamecube-controller-bundle-wii-u-pre-order/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

new vehicle for MK8s november update:- the B dasher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just turned on Hyrule Warriors. Before i even play a game, it's prompting me to pay €15 for more stuff.

Boo-urns! That's not cool.

(Enjoyed the title screen music, i must admit!)

Right, here we go!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just turned on Hyrule Warriors. Before i even play a game, it's prompting me to pay €15 for more stuff.

Boo-urns! That's not cool.

(Enjoyed the title screen music, i must admit!)

Right, here we go!

Is that €15 crap appearing every time you turn on the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Lads and Ladies I have a question for you.

My nephew wants Wii u Party for his birthday (in 2 weeks). I don't live in Ireland but he does. He only wants the game- no bundles with the remotes as he already has loads. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online Irish retailer of the game (tried argos who only has the bundled version gamestop, tesco etc to no avail).

Other solution could be buying a nintendo e shop voucher. He downloads it onto the console. Again if I bought a French card would it work on the Irish shop or not (i dont even know if the game is on there) Any ideas where I could buy nintendo codes online?

Lads and Ladies I have a question for you.

My nephew wants Wii u Party for his birthday (in 2 weeks). I don't live in Ireland but he does. He only wants the game- no bundles with the remotes as he already has loads. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online Irish retailer of the game (tried argos who only has the bundled version gamestop, tesco etc to no avail).

Other solution could be buying a nintendo e shop voucher. He downloads it onto the console. Again if I bought a French card would it work on the Irish shop or not (i dont even know if the game is on there) Any ideas where I could buy nintendo codes online?

Amazon UK have it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

the likes of Amazon.co.UK deliver to Ireland for free, grnerslky cheaper than bricks and mortar but worth trying Smyth's and hmv websites and maybe cex (2nd hand though)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is that €15 crap appearing every time you turn on the game?

This is the game select screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

That is B.S.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This is the game select screen.

That's a bit in your face alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Allyall wrote: »

When I click that link and go to checkout I get

Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available for delivery to your address from another seller.
    Changed quantities? Press Update
    To delete an item change quantity to 0. Continue

If I bought it from the French amazon and chose an Irish address would the game be in French or does the language depend on the language in the Wii U and not on the disc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My Wii U gamepad was stolen :(

Advertisement