Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Corholio wrote: »
    Thanks again to fawful for the code, sound out.

Sakurai posted an image on Miiverse earlier. A shot of a Wii U exclusive Starfox stage in Smash Bros.

It looks glorious.

smash-stage-fox-640x360.jpg?447b14
    Did you see the other pics in the comments in that post? Omgiddyauntnorah!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anybody know what the story is with the Amiibo characters. I mean, are some going to be hard to get?

I just preordered 1 x Wii fit trainer Amiibo, 1 x Yoshi and 1 x Donkey Kong, because of both of these articles, and I'll bet if I read elsewhere, it'll be diferent characters.. - (I'm not greedy enough to order a few of each.)
    Wii U Daily
    Amiibotoys.com

I don't mind, because I hope to get them all anyway, but have I fallen for an age old marketing ploy?

On a separate note, if I have three of them, do I have three Amiibi or three Amiibos? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I hope they don't get lost in the post. Adio, Amibos...

Apart from them patching in Mariokart Support and Smash Bros (WiiU Only unless you can be arsed buying a new console) what good are they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Allyall wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is with the Amiibo characters. I mean, are some going to be hard to get?

I just preordered 1 x Wii fit trainer Amiibo, 1 x Yoshi and 1 x Donkey Kong, because of both of these articles, and I'll bet if I read elsewhere, it'll be diferent characters.. - (I'm not greedy enough to order a few of each.)
    Wii U Daily
    Amiibotoys.com

I don't mind, because I hope to get them all anyway, but have I fallen for an age old marketing ploy?

On a separate note, if I have three of them, do I have three Amiibi or three Amiibos? :pac:

Well, I've preordered

Yoshi
    Fit trainer
    Villager
    Samus
    Marth
    Fox
    Link

As I can see these ones selling out. Mario, peach, donkey Kong, Pikachu will have other versions released next year and will be easy to find. Kirby, I'm in two minds about that one.

On another note, Sonic Boom, what's everyone thinking? I think it's gonna fail, big time! Got burned with Lost World last year.

Maybe when it's €10 I might have a look.

Banjo wrote: »
    Apart from them patching in Mariokart Support and Smash Bros (WiiU Only unless you can be arsed buying a new console) what good are they

Aren't they releasing a few/lot of games with Amiibo support? I thought that was the point of them, build up your Amiibos strength/skills..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

theres dlcs for mario kart from eshop

Well, so they say, but what games are actually on the cards? Hell, I haven't seen any confirmation that Link or Villager in the MK8 DLC will be Amiibo-enabled or when the existing MK roster get Amiibised... not that I've looked.

If they have any sense they'll have some sort of free Toybox-esque download that works with Amiibos, but has very limited functionality unless you connect an Amiibo to it within a set time limit (like WiiFit Demo and the WiiFitmeter thingy last year) - that would drive everyone's initial sale and get the ball rolling.

But what other games are there that you could feasibly use all your Amiibos in? An update for WiiSports that puts the Amiibos into it? a Mario Party? Who even buys Mario Party? Something that's not an existing franchise, like an Animal crossing style Ninty Village? Some sort of bizarre Pokemon offspin that lets you capture video game characters and battle them against eachother in Turn Based contests?

I hope they don't get lost in the post. Adio, Amibos...

amiibo is coming out Mariokart 8, SSB Wiiu and 3ds, yoshi yawn, Captain Toad and Marioparty 10

But what other games are there that you could feasibly use all your Amiibos in? An update for WiiSports that puts the Amiibos into it? a Mario Party? Who even buys Mario Party? Something that's not an existing franchise, like an Animal crossing style Ninty Village? Some sort of bizarre Pokemon offspin that lets you capture video game characters and battle them against eachother in Turn Based contests?

Yeah, I don't know what other games it might work in, but then I don't know what games they have planned. It may be possible to use the Amiibo in Splatoon?
    That 'bizarre pokemon offspin' doesn't sound bad :P.
    Considering the amiibo (Or my understanding of them anyway) are very like a Pokemon, it could be good..

Still not many games mentioned so far
    A range of compatible games

In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game.
    Wii U games with planned amiibo functionality include:

• Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    • Mario Kart™ 8
    • Captain Toad™: Treasure Tracker
    • Mario Party™ 10
    • Yoshi's Woolly World™
    • and more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does anyone know if the Amiibo's are region locked?

• Advertisement

That 'bizarre pokemon offspin' doesn't sound bad :P.
    Considering the amiibo (Or my understanding of them anyway) are very like a Pokemon, it could be good..

Bear in mind, Pokemon had it's own NFC-figurine spin off on the WiiU and it's easily one of the worst things I've spent money on in my life. Bear in mind, I own a copy of Ministry's "Work for Love"

Xenji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Amiibo's are region locked?

I was looking earlier too, but I am no wiser. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it is, then they probably will be.. :(

Would it be cheaper to ship them from America if they aren't? I saw somebody asking that on another forum when I was looking, but I don't think it would be.

Bear in mind, Pokemon had it's own NFC-figurine spin off on the WiiU and it's easily one of the worst things I've spent money on in my life.

God, I forgot about that.. Pokemon Rumble..
    Bear in mind, I own a copy of Ministry's "Work for Love"
    Now you just sound scary.. :pac::P

EDIT -

I am now looking at Pokemon Rumble... :o

God. Even with the review in this post... :( - In my defence, I never thought it looked great, but had always thought I'd get it at some stage.

I was looking earlier too, but I am no wiser. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it is, then they probably will be.. :(

Would it be cheaper to ship them from America if they aren't? I saw somebody asking that on another forum when I was looking, but I don't think it would be.

VGP do not have them up on their store yet, but they will be selling them for around 6-7 euro, if your willing to wait about 10-12 days delivery will only be around 5-10 euro depending on how many you want to get, it will cost more if you want quicker shipping.

I am now looking at Pokemon Rumble... :o

God. Even with the review in this post... :( - In my defence, I never thought it looked great, but had always thought I'd get it at some stage.

Don't. My then-3 (maybe 4?) year old was bored with it after 3 minutes. She likes watching the menu screen (you know, where the Miis just mill around under Game icons) more. The 3DS game is apparently ok, but the WiiU game is just nonsensical button mashing and a ridiculous "gotta catch millions of copies of em all" ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, where do you buy your wii u and 3ds games? I am checking amazon and even older games are quite expensive. Was even thinking off giving pokemon a go for ****s and giggles, but even older ones are really expensive. I am not even talking about gamestop...

Where else you buy your ninty games?

Mainly Amazon, check around Fr, De and Es as you would be surprised how much prices can vary. It is a pain in the ass that everything is region locked, otherwise you would be able to pick everything up a lot cheaper.

And also, Nintendo stuff tends to hold its price for years, everywhere. But 3rd party stuff on Nintendo systems drops kinda quick.

That's why I buy on release cause it's very seldom a price will drop. Pre-order on Amazon as early as you can, something's you can get your new 1st party game for €35 on release (prob very bad advice, lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will keep an eye on amazon as always so. Looks like the best place. I did sow Lego undercover for wii u in gamestop for 24eu the other day ( second hand ), I might pick that up from there.
    Its crazy how much value Nintendo games holding on to. I bet later on they will be more then RRP!

The only time I've ever seen First Party stuff cheap was in those crazy Tesco stock liquidations - Mario Tennis for 1p is the reason I always swing by the game shelf now if I'm passing, even when I wasn't intending to go into Tesco... Otherwise the proper Mario (ie the platformers and kart) and Pokemon games do NOT decrease in value. They also don't become crazy expensive. Essentially they exist in what's called a "Denham-Steuart Bubble" where market forces cannot affect them. Spin offs (sports titles, typing tutors and the like) sometimes do. Kirby raises in value from about 3 months after release due to them only printing about 4 copies of every game. Link tends to lose value after 9 months or so. Samus can go either way. At least, so my research into an NSFW DeviantArt account suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby is god
    Let's just get that straight.
    I have a mountain of Kirby titles and, it would seem, only Kirby fans buy his games.
    Air Ride is bizarre, and Triple Trouble is possibly the best looking game on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Does anyone know where I can pick up a USB Y-cable in Dublin City Centre to use my hard disk with the Wii U?

Can order from Amazon but the delivery is costing more than the cable!

I don't know about anyone else but I had a lot of trouble finding one in Dublin so had to go with Amazon. I ordered this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003WV5DMO was £7 including postage and works a treat for me. Hope that helps

There are guys in Wexford Cables.ie that might have it, and they are next day delivery anytime I've used them.

http://www.cables.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=usb+y

You may have to look around the site for your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the only kirby title I have played is kirby adventure, been meaning to pick up epic yarn and the 3ds game but have not gotten around to it yet.

Epic Yarn floats in and out of stock in Argos for €6.99-€13.99 at the moment, it's a good time to pick it up! Bear in mind there is a grand total of 0 challenge in that game, it's just a lovely, restful platformy dude ranch. But I think that's par for the course in Kirby games?

Currently in stock EvERYWHERE except Limerick. €10.99
    http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=203%2F2784

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

the only kirby title I have played is kirby adventure, been meaning to pick up epic yarn and the 3ds game but have not gotten around to it yet.

Kirby Epic Yarn is €10.99 in Argos. So you've no excuse. Get out there and buy it.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=2032784&authToken=

Going back to hard drives. Can somebody recommend a few of the portable hard drives please? Something around 500GB or 1TB. I've enough cables that I don't need another plug clogging up the power supply.

sligeach wrote: »
    Kirby Epic Yarn is €10.99 in Argos. So you've no excuse. Get out there and buy it.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=2032784&authToken=

Going back to hard drives. Can somebody recommend a few of the portable hard drives please? Something around 500GB or 1TB. I've enough cables that I don't need another plug clogging up the power supply.

It can't be bigger than 2TB - i.e. Max 2TB..

The Seagate Backup Plus
    and
    The HGST Touro family

Are the only two I see repeatedly mentioned as Portable Drives that work best with the Wii U.
    There are a few other mentioned, but they don't seem to get the thumbs up from everybody.

EDIT -
    Sorry, and to add the correct Y cable for those drives is USB 3.0 - Dual A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable, Black

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got Smash Bros a few hours ago for 3DS so gonna get Kirby as my free game, ****ing love Kirby, always have always will, theme music can always make me smile no matter how bummed out I am.

• Advertisement

i cant access www.nintendo.co.uk, today
    do you know why buds

Advertisement