Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Bank Bar" O'Connell St./ Gladsone St. corner

Options
  • 29-11-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i'm an architecture student and i am just wondering does anybody know the history behind this building? When it was built? for whom etc. i asume at least that it was at one stage a bank :P

242h8xk.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Hi, i'm an architecture student and i am just wondering does anybody know the history behind this building? When it was built? for whom etc. i asume at least that it was at one stage a bank :P

Sorry bud, I don't know much about the history of it or who designed it.

All I know is, it was a lovely bar in it's last incarnation and I wish it was still open! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

It was a bank of ireland(or maybe AIB) for years then when that closed that it became a pub for a while, never really took off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Was originally the Munster and Leinster bank which was merged into AIB, the two O Donohue brother Frank and Redmond were born and reared in it,they would be a fund of info

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

my girlfriend worked there until it closed will see does she have info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Fairly sure it was the Trustee Savings Bank at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Thought it was an Ulster bank myself.. Opened late on Thursday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

You wil find the information you are looking for in the reference rooms of Waterford City Library. There is a member of staff who will help you but you might need to make an appointment so she can give the time required. Or you can search by yourself.This bank and the one of on the corner of Barronstrand St and a couple of others have some history behind them regarding architecture anyway The regional assembly building may have been a bank also. I remember seeing some articles about them somewhere.I can't remember exactly where. It could have been in the decies journals which are online on the County Council website and have hard copies in the library ref. room. But it was definitely in the library. They have a wealth of information on a lot of the buildings in the City.I was researching O'Connell St at the time and found all I needed and more there. Check for a reference word in the rolladexes that are there (bank) and you will be pointed in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

TS B was the granite building next door that now holds SERA limestone building was Munster and Leinster then AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Bank bar was an AIB branch. I know this because I had my first account with AIB there when I was 12!

The granite building next door (where the SERA is now) was a TSB branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

Who owns this building now? What's the story with it? it doesn't seem to have been available to let or anything in recent times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Birdfood wrote: »
    Who owns this building now? What's the story with it? it doesn't seem to have been available to let or anything in recent times

I'll give you one guess. You'll love the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

There is couple of groups on Facebook that deal with Waterford History I have posted up on them to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Here is an update form the Waterford History group "I got a copy of the original photo from the Bank in the early 1990's. On the photo it read, Munster and Leinster Bank Limited. O'Connell St. Waterford. Office opened 1889. First Manager, Mr. T.H. Brett. Architect Arthur Hill of cork.
    Michael O' Sullivan, says that the bank opened in December 1922"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Wow, thanks for the good response everybody :) very much appreciated. some very useful info to get the ball moving, particularly the photograph! will try keep you updated with my findings here.

I'l try get to the city library during the week, see if i can get an appointment if i have a chance.

thank you again :) really didn't think anyone would be able to help here, let alone provide such great info.

Advertisement