Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Hart (ex-Husker Du), Upstairs in Whelan's, Fri 14 Dec

Options
  • 29-11-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Whelanslive presents

GRANT HART (ex-Husker Du/Nova Mob) (FULL BAND SHOW)
    Friday 14th December
    Upstairs At Whelan's
    Doors 8pm
    Tickets €11 including booking fee available to buy online from www.wavtickets.ie or call the WAV Box Office [Lo-call 1890 200 078]

Grant Hart was one of the two primary songwriters of the glorious trainwreck and profoundly influential rock unit that was Hüsker Dü and helped to shape the sound and voice of indie rock to come, influencing a generation of bands that followed including but by no means exclusive to Nirvana, Pixies, Fugazi, Throwing Muses, Afghan Whigs & The Breeders. Husker Du showed the world that power and melody did not have to be mutually exclusive and that there was a place for the confessional lyric in punk rock

After 6 albums the band he shared with Bob Mould for nearly a decade imploded and Hart went on to form Nova Mob and then put out a handful of critically acclaimed solo albums over the years, including " Hot Wax" and " Intolerance".

In April of this year, Grant released a limited edition 7" vinyl with two new songs, "Morning Star" and " So Far From Heaven", the tracks are taken from his highly anticipated new album, "The Argument", which comes out early next year.

Although music is still Grant's main stock in trade, his visual arts skills remain as sharp as ever. In addition, he has recently taken part in several readings of his poetry as well as reading the works of his late friend Charles Henri Ford at the Metropolitan Arts Club in New York. He often performs with Patti Smith and has shared the stage with such notables as Charles Plymell, Philip Glass and of course his late chum William S. Burroughs. He currently serves such diverse organizations as The Duchamp Society, The Ghost Squadron of the Confederate Air Force and The Studebaker Drivers Club of North America.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Great interview with Hart here http://thumped.com/interviews/grant-hart-all-of-my-old-friends-are-assholes.html

Looking forward to this now, I wonder if there'll be a decent turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just started listening now. Might head along on Friday, sounds cool enough.

Mushy wrote: »
    Just started listening now. Might head along on Friday, sounds cool enough.

One of my favourite singers. Careful if you're going through the Husker Du catalogue - plenty of great songs but Hart shared singing and songwriting duties with Bob Mould so don't be expecting to hear the latter's songs. The likes of The Girl Who Lived On Heaven's Hill, Keep Hanging On and Green Eyes are all Hart classics and will probably be played. Made a Spotify playlist that contains a good few of his Husker tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would he not just be playing his own stuff, or will a few Husker songs be thrown in for formalities? I was much preferring his solo stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

last year he did a mix of solo,nova mob and HD tunes. expect some songs from his new album on fri

• Advertisement

I thought he and the band played brilliantly but the gig was disappointingly short. Well worth the €11 admittance and cool t-shirt though. She Floated Away was fantastic.

I've no idea if boards has a view on dimedozen but some kind soul recorded and uploaded the gig there.

was a bit short alright but enjoyable. the dime recording is very good. new album is out in Jan

full Irish tour in June

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

GRANT-HART&THEBURNINGFINAL.JPEG

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

full Irish tour in June

But no Dublin :confused: there are a few gaps in the dates, so here's hoping......

I actually had a ticket to the 14/12/12 gig, but it turned out my work Xmas lunch was that day. I did actually make it to the door of Whelans, but Grant wasn't on for another hour & I was particularly *ahem* "tired & emotional", so I ended-up jumping in a cab & went home :o Annoyed I missed it, though I was in a state & it sounded like a short gig anyhow....

Hope I can catch him on the June tour.

• Advertisement

He was brilliant in Whelan's that night despite the short set. Very excited by the prospect of The Argument, could well be one of 2013's best albums. Hopefully I can catch two or three of these shows, he's always worth the ten euro or so he charges.

Couple of The Arguments songs can be heard here: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/05/09/grant-hart-the-argument-tour-dates/

Advertisement