Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair Prices

Options
  • 29-11-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi

Im in college at the moment studying pc maintenance & have to do a project on a computer repair shop. Im trying to get a idea on prices they charge but every place i ring dont want to give me any prices. Does anyone know where to get some price lists from a computer repair shop in dublin, wicklow or kildare?

Or is it a big secret until your computer is broken or the illumanti dont want people to know :eek: :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Prices on what, there are thousands of things that can go wrong with a PC, there are thousands of different types of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 activityyup

Just the basics, windows not booting & upgrade OS, installing anti virus or removing viruses, file recovery & back up, speeding up the system, web design if they do it, setting up a network or a new hardware install...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just the basics, windows not booting & upgrade OS, installing anti virus or removing viruses, file recovery & back up, speeding up the system, web design if they do it, setting up a network or a new hardware install...

I do computer repair, very little mentioned there can be quoted for, you have no idea how difficult it will be or long it will take. Most people have no idea how to maintain a Windows PC so you definitely need to see what you're dealing with beforehand. I assess each PC individually before I even give an estimated quote, they drop it in, I ring them with an estimate once I've looked at it and then proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I do computer repair, very little mentioned there can be quoted for, you have no idea how difficult it will be or long it will take.

+1 I fix PCs for my extended family and a repair job can be anything from 10 minutes to several hours, there's no way you can estimate over the phone.

The fact that an individual can't fix it himself usually means that he/she has no idea what's wrong with the machine. Such a person is totally incapable of giving an accurate description of the problem over the phone so a telephone estimate of time and/or charges is a non-starter.

OP, the fact that you describe 'windows not booting' as 'just the basics' says it all.

"Hello, is that Drumcondra Motors? My car won't start, how much will it cost to fix?" LOL

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I assess each PC individually before I even give an estimated quote, they drop it in, I ring them with an estimate once I've looked at it and then proceed.

Is there not a base price for some of the things i listed & work up from the base price ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What I would charge generally:
    €50/60 for virus removal-Includes updating all software/plugins/Windows updates and cleanup of computer.
    €20/30/50 for hardware install like optical drive/Gfx/RAM etc. All depends how difficult it is.
    €70/80 or maybe more for a OS reinstall and software reinstall/backups restored etc.
    €30/40 or maybe more for LCD Screen replacement for laptop, and then panel price on top of that.

It really depends though, there certainly isn't any set prices as I will not spend 5-6 hours with a machine and only charge €50/60 quid, same as I wouldnt charge ridiculous money for a simple 1/2 hour fix or less.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The only way to do is to figure out an hourly rate, so for a reasonable skilled computer techy + his PRSI + Housing him + his repair equipment + your margin your probably talking about at least 20-30 euro per hour.

Then figure out common times for various jobs like yoyo listed.

The biggest problem is the uncertainty factory, with everything in IT you could find it fixed in 5 minutes or you could end up swapping out every single component to eventually find the source.

Finally you'll probably want to look around the likes of komplett and ebay to get a feel for hardware costs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

imitation wrote: »
    The only way to do is to figure out an hourly rate, so for a reasonable skilled computer techy + his PRSI + Housing him + his repair equipment + your margin your probably talking about at least 20-30 euro per hour.

Then figure out common times for various jobs like yoyo listed.

The biggest problem is the uncertainty factory, with everything in IT you could find it fixed in 5 minutes or you could end up swapping out every single component to eventually find the source.

Finally you'll probably want to look around the likes of komplett and ebay to get a feel for hardware costs.
    Not to mention the risk of buying new parts (i.e: laptops) and finding out that the issue isn't the part itself but the motherboard is the issue. These costs need to be factored in also :) , and mobo issues are very hard to diagnose particularly with laptops which are all unique and different forms

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Firstly there are two types of I.T. Your basic repairing or virus removal etc and then there's the networking,server, virtualisation etc. Everyone has their ideas about virus removal, mine is that it can take 10-15 hours in workshop time, but I will charge a minimum for that €60, if I was to do it onsite then it averages out at €40 + VAT per hour. As Moderator said margins on a screen replacement can be €30-€40, some screens can be fitted easily while others can be a bitch, it averages out though. If you want your Operating System reinstalled, €60-€80 , again some people will just load the factory image and give it back to customer, others including myself will install all service packs and software updates inc in the price. Vista updates can take hours upon hours to do, whilst Win 7 maybe faster. Again it averages out. My price for DC jack replacement averages out at €80 -€100 inc VAT, others charge less and shops I know of charge over €200!! So generally on shop time you can work multiple computers/laptops at the same time so prices above reflect in that, a computer shop will have overheads - rent, esb, rates etc, it is very hard for a computer repair shop to survive in this climate, I've seen so many open up and go bust within months! If you are onsite for basic jobs then hourly rate quoted earlier applies. But let's say a company calls you out in an emergency and their server is down, then you charge a call out fee and your hourly rate goes up reflecting the level of expertise involved and how important the Company's server is to them. Most legit shops will charge VAT, part timers and freelancers usually don't. Guys who offer only mobile contact numbers will charge a lot less but they are not on the other end of the phone when there is a problem! If you wanna give me a ring tomorrow as I'm up to my tits today then I will try and answer some of your questions. Number on website in my signature, hope this has been of some help.

Cheers guys. I have something to work from now. I was getting nowhere ringing around asking some kind of answer...can get cracking on with the assignment now. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement