Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Both tenant and I being intimidated by neighbours and TD

Options
  • 29-11-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

I own a house from before I married. The plan had been to sell when I moved in with my husband but with the market as it is that is not possible. I currently have the house rented to a young couple with two young kids. They keep the house clean and well and pay their rent. The only issue anyone could have is with their back ground they are 2nd generation settled travellers. I have checked them out with the guards and they say they are grand and have never had an issue with either of them.
    Last year a neighbour called to complain about the type of person we had living there. In the past 4-5 months I have had a td approach me three times to say the neighbours have problems. When I ask for specifics I'm told where he parks his van. This is done legally outside the house. The house has been broken into and ransacked and today a water tank thrown up on the roof. The complainers acknowledge that there is no anti-social behaviour, noise or anything else like this.
    If these tenants were a problem then I would deal with it, but having spoken to the local guard again there is no issue. Does anyone know what my options are as I am getting seriously annoyed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

A water tank thrown on roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I presume you have spoken to the neighbours and have told them to back off unless they can come up with actual evidence of some wrong doing by your tenant?

What are the Gardai doing about the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Last year a neighbour called to complain about the type of person we had living there.

Unless they have a specific complaint (noise or litter etc.) then I would tell any neighbour complaining about the 'type' of person that their prejudices are not your concern.

Again with a TD complaining to you, ask what the specific things are that your tenants have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Wils110 wrote: »
    A water tank thrown on roof?
    Yep they had left a tank out in the front yard after cleaning the gutters. They were away at a funeral and yep it's been put up on the roof. The tenants are on the way home to sort it out.

The guards couldn't find evidence of who ransacked the house and otherwise are trying to stay out of it. Yep I've told the neighbours and td that I will be taking legal advise if they don't back off.

Unless they have a specific complaint (noise or litter etc.) then I would tell any neighbour complaining about the 'type' of person that their prejudices are not your concern.

Again with a TD complaining to you, ask what the specific things are that your tenants have done.

I keep asking for specifics and the van, which as I said is legally parked is their only specific issue. The whole house inside and out is spotless. This couple have been making the house their home, their eldest is in a local pre-school and they don't make noise. I've asked the direct next door who I know and he says there are no issues at all and he gets on well with them.

I guess I'll just keep a record of every incident. It's just such a pain as I am not a professional landlord and have always third to do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Any chance of naming the TD so he can be quizzed on what concerns he has and why he saw fit to intervine. If he has no evidence I'd like to know why a national legislater is involved with a gang trying to intimidate a law abiding couple. Actually why is he involved at all and why did he not instruct people lobbying him to contact the Gardai if they had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

To be honest if a TD has hassled you three times, despite no wrongdoing, simply because your tenants are travellers, I'd be contacting the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I keep asking for specifics and the van, which as I said is legally parked is their only specific issue. The whole house inside and out is spotless. This couple have been making the house their home, their eldest is in a local pre-school and they don't make noise. I've asked the direct next door who I know and he says there are no issues at all and he gets on well with them.

I guess I'll just keep a record of every incident. It's just such a pain as I am not a professional landlord and have always third to do the right thing.

For some reason parking becomes a huge issue between neighbours. I think you're going about it the right way, keep a record and double check everything with the neighbour that you know. At least you have an 'insider' there who can tell you if the others are just complaining about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Clive wrote: »
    To be honest if a TD has hassled you three times, despite no wrongdoing, simply because your tenants are travellers, I'd be contacting the press.

This. Start with the local/regional paper. The press would be all over this based on recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Personally, I'd install a webcam in a top front and back room and make sure that they only cross glance at the absolute inside garden boundry [privacy laws, blah]. They are cheap and cheap to run. Either configure motion detection or upload a photo every x seconds to an FTP server. Keep images for a month or two. Build evidence of trespass.

Here are three night vision [3 to 5 meters] wifi ip cameras. No puter needed [maybe just to configure] Just configure them to upload to FTP through a wifi point.

• Advertisement

I am in ill health, I had a rather serious op on Tuesday and if I need anything it's no hassle for the next 3 months. I will take this tack if he calls me again. I told him this week that the guards and council were there for a reason and I had to trust that they could do their jobs if there was a problem. Then today it's the water tank on the roof.

This does all seem rather trivial for a td to be getting involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Wouldn't the OP need some kind of proof before making any statements about a person?
    The reason the TD etc are hassling you and not the Gardaí is because they know they don't have anything to complain about. They probably hope to make you fed up of the situation and eventually decline to renew the lease with the current tenants.
    Keep up the log, try and get some evidence (recording or witness) especially with the TD and then complain of intimidation to the Gardaí. Failing that go to the press with evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I had hassle from neighbours recently enough for a similar issue. Despite no proof of any wrong doing the neighbours on one side took issue with the fact that we were students (all girls, all final year). There was no noise, parties or whatever, they just didn't want us there. It's the only house on the street that's rented out to tenants. Their main issue was parking- we had 4 cars between us that we ensured were only ever outside our property. We blocked each other in to make this happen. It just "looked bad" apparently. They constantly complained to our landlord about noise ( even on occasions where noone was there). They even kept logs of who came and went to our house, complaining about the morality or boys being seen coming and going from the house.

It got much worse near the end but fair play to you for sticking up for your tenants, our landlord basically washed his hands of us and left us to deal with them ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I own a house from before I married. The plan had been to sell when I moved in with my husband but with the market as it is that is not possible. I currently have the house rented to a young couple with two young kids. They keep the house clean and well and pay their rent. The only issue anyone could have is with their back ground they are 2nd generation settled travellers. I have checked them out with the guards and they say they are grand and have never had an issue with either of them.
    Last year a neighbour called to complain about the type of person we had living there. In the past 4-5 months I have had a td approach me three times to say the neighbours have problems. When I ask for specifics I'm told where he parks his van. This is done legally outside the house. The house has been broken into and ransacked and today a water tank thrown up on the roof. The complainers acknowledge that there is no anti-social behaviour, noise or anything else like this.
    If these tenants were a problem then I would deal with it, but having spoken to the local guard again there is no issue. Does anyone know what my options are as I am getting seriously annoyed.

That sounds like a ridiculous compliant. From what you've found out, it doesn't sound like your tenants have put a foot wrong. Now, I'm no fan of travellers but I'm probably being a little unfair and I do recognise that a sizable amount of them give the rest a bad name. These people sound like they are a completely innocent party and can't help their ancestors background.

What is the complaint with where the van is parked. If it's legally parked, I would just ignore that compliant. It's not as if they have a line of scrapped cars and a couple of horses outside the house.
    If you have asked the garda and he has received absolutely no complaints and has no issues with them, I think you've done all you need to do as a responsible landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

File for a barring order against the TD if he's hassling you for no reason while you are unwell. Let him explain to his party or the press then why someone requested a barring order on him.

Nope 1 van, no horses etc. It,s parked outside their house blocking no-one. It is ridiculousbut also stressful. I'm not going to take anymore crap and I've advised my tenants the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone else concerned that the OP went to the Garda to carry out a background check on potential/current tenants?

OP, can you clarify how you did this, for example which forms you filled in?

The td requested the community guard to call me as he seemed to think this would back up the complaints. It had the opposite affect as the guard said the tenants were fine and were never in trouble. I got work and previous tenancy references when I commenced the tenancy.
    I now have the guards number in case of any issues. He still has no issue with my tenants.
    I also use Google for every tenant as if they have any serious charges it will show. I don't want to rent to drug dealers, murderers etc.
    Rereading my initial post I can see why you think I checked their criminal past with the guards initially. I didn't speak to a guard in reference to my tenants at all until the td had them, I have to say very reluctantly, ring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Ask the td for his concerns in writing.

That'll get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone else concerned that the OP went to the Garda to carry out a background check on potential/current tenants?

There's always one. Don't you just hate PC lefties.

I do it all the time, never filled out a form. It's informal. It's not confidential information she is seeking. Ever heard the expression "x was known to the Gardai" on the news?

• Advertisement

Squ wrote: »
    Ask the td for his concerns in writing.

That'll get rid of him.

^^^^^This

Once you get that, if he comes moaning again ring him to let him know what media you have sent a copy of the letter to.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I suggest you tell the TD that you will only communicate with him by letter and do not entertain face to face or phone calls.If he wants to put anything discriminatory in writing ,more fool him!If he will not take no for an answer make a complaint to the Guards for harrassment. I suggest you get the local papers involved and get them to approach this TD for a quote.Approach his constituency rival/enemy from another party and get them on your side.(Or you could just tell him to **** off as you are not answerable to him!)If they are paying and looking after your house they are model tenants.I assume this moron wants you to evict these people for being travellers so he is guilty of discrimination and is trying to get you to commit the same offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I'd think twice about contacting the local press straight away. It is kind of a double edged sword if the goal is a quiet life, particularly in the immediate future. The local hacks, whose own ethics and prejudices are unknown to you, are going to be after you and your tenants for pictures and quotes just as much as the TD and the tenant's neighbours. It is an escalation and it should only be a last resort if the complainants, the TD in particular, don't back off. OP, I'd certainly tell the TD to leave you alone completely - the whole thing is really nothing to do with him or his role - and I would consider writing to his party's leader and chief whip and complain about his behaviour. It probably would just be ignored but he might get a rap on the knuckles if he is not a favoured son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

She doesn't want more hassle, she wants less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be inclined to write a letter to all of the residents (and the TD), with your tenants' agreement. Something like:
    Dear Neighbour,

I am the owner & landlord of <house>. As many others have found necessary in these economic times I am currently letting this property, but still living locally in a property more suitable for my family's needs.

I am writing to you to make you aware of a campaign of harrassment and criminal anti-social behaviour currently being perpetrated against my tenants.

Before letting this property I checked and received exemplary references for my tenants. They have continued to live up to the standard of these references as the rent is consistently paid on time and in full. The property and its surrounds have been maintained in impeccable condition, and I have not received any complaints of nuisance or other issues against my tenants. In short, they are model tenants.

My tenants are a young married couple with two young children. They are honest, decent and hardworking members of our community, who have done nothing to deserve the harrassment and criminal behaviour being perpetrated against them and their home.

I would ask that all neighbours be vigilant to keep an eye out for the perpetrators of this activity, and to assist my tenants in feeling welcome and safe in our community. It would be a shame if the strong community spirit which has been built up locally is ruined by the actions of a few small-minded, vicious and ignorant individuals.

The Gardai are aware of the ongoing issues, so if you do have any information or spot any such behaviour, please notify the Gardai or contact myself.

Regards, etc
    The aim being to make everyone aware of what's going on, which might have the effect of causing those involved to keep their heads down. Or in a longshot, they might cop on. You could also get lucky and the scumbags involved might get in contact with you to give you abuse, in which case you've got them bang to rights.

Going to the media or not is really your call. It could backfire depending on what way the story is spun (pro or anti traveller).

In any case, I wouldn't do anything overtly public like the letter above without your tenants agreeing to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I keep asking for specifics and the van, which as I said is legally parked is their only specific issue.
    Baralis1 wrote: »
    What is the complaint with where the van is parked. If it's legally parked, I would just ignore that compliant.
    For some reason parking becomes a huge issue between neighbours.
    Their main issue was parking- we had 4 cars between us that we ensured were only ever outside our property. We blocked each other in to make this happen. It just "looked bad" apparently.

Yup, I suspect the problem is not how the van is parked but simply the fact that it's a van!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

whatnext wrote: »
    There's always one. Don't you just hate PC lefties.
    No need for name calling. Keep it constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

More power to them.

As others have suggested OP, fire off a letter to the TD's party leader & whip. None of the partys need to be dealing with bad press that they dont need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Personally Id be delighted to think that landlords did background checks on people, as a mortgage payer I cannot simply up sticks and move on if some low life decides to rent next door. It is commendable that a landlord would be considerate of their neighbours in this manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I remember in my last gaff parking was the biggest issue between people. Sometimes the driveway is kept clear whilst van is legally parked outside type of thing. Just an annoyance but I can understand that. However you don't call TDs!
    Why not contact the TDs party office to ask for their policy on **** as one of the TDs is persuing a line that will bring the party policy into disrepute.

Advertisement