Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Both tenant and I being intimidated by neighbours and TD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Similar thing happened to me OP, I live beside travellers, no issue with them at all, nice people, keep to themselves etc.

I have had numerous calls to the house by a TD about them and so called anti social behaviour, fights at nights, loud music. I haven't heard a single thing and told him so but he is trying to get me on record to say they are problem neighbours.

I can only guess someone else he knows in the area doesn't like them and wants them out but as their only neighbours our confirmation of the "issues" is vital.

I feel very intimidated by the TD, ready to call Liveline about him tbh.

I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

eviltwin wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to me OP, I live beside travellers, no issue with them at all, nice people, keep to themselves etc.

I have had numerous calls to the house by a TD about them and so called anti social behaviour, fights at nights, loud music. I haven't heard a single thing and told him so but he is trying to get me on record to say they are problem neighbours.

I can only guess someone else he knows in the area doesn't like them and wants them out but as their only neighbours our confirmation of the "issues" is vital.

I hope you get sorted.

Break glass for Joe Duffy, would be great if you could get said TD on tape or video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

barbiegirl wrote: »
    The td requested the community guard to call me as he seemed to think this would back up the complaints.
    TD asking the gardai for a background check can't be legal .. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

eviltwin wrote: »

I hope you get sorted.

There's some people in Ireland who think that if there are travellers on the estate then as a result the price of their own property is worth less. Chiristy Moore even had a lyric about it.

Perhaps there are one or two of your neighbours thinking of selling their house in 2013 and think they can get an extra few €k if there are no travellers there and are hence pressuring the TD.

It seems bizarre to me if it is as you say that the travellers are causing zero trouble yet there are neighbours making them out to be complete scumbags with no concern for others.

One of two things is at play here, either it is a vile racism towards travellers in general that drivers them to the point of lying in a most vindictive manner. Or it could be the reason of selling their house- never underestimate how money can be a huge motivator to do irrational or even illegal things.

I'd love to hear on Joe Duffy about the TD's actions and attitude towards a family who are causing no harm But it could bring an awful lot of heat on you from the neighbours. And if the TD is from FF or FG, both parties which are known for their bully boy tactics, then you could find yourself ostrcised by part of larger community. So as much as I think any story of racism should be exposed for your own sake I'd advise not to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Icepick wrote: »
    barbiegirl wrote: »
    The td requested the community guard to call me as he seemed to think this would back up the complaints.
    TD asking the gardai for a background check can't be legal .. I hope.
    I can see how you read it like that, but the TD just asked the community guard to call (thinking people would "spill the beans" to a Garda), but it blew up in the TD's face when the LL asked were they known to the Gardai.

=-=

OP; tell the TD to f**k off, and if he has any complaints, to write them down and post them to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone else concerned that the OP went to the Garda to carry out a background check on potential/current tenants?

OP, can you clarify how you did this, for example which forms you filled in?

OT, but fyi I did some work for a voluntary housing organisation a while back.

Official garda vetting was a standard part of the tenancy application process, people filled in the official forms, and the vets were generally turned around by the gardai in a week or two.

Now I don't think that an individual landlord would have ready access to such service levels. But it is of interest to the guards to know where people are, so I can see why they co-operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has the td gone to the police and asked them if your tenants were fine, such as you have done, or is he/she just backing up a person because they are friends,
    you should ask the police for a written report and send a copy to each of these people, to put their minds at ease,
    and only do business with the complanents in writing also the td,
    do the td know your tenants personally.
    and what is the big issue with a van parked in its own spot, vans, cars, who cares ,they are all motorised vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

is this td in the present government, running the country,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

goat2 wrote: »
    is this td in the present government, running the country,

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thanks for all the advise guys I am only going to deal with anyone on this in writing from this out including the TD. I'm not going near the papers but should the TD contact me again I will complain to his party admin.
    Yes some people get obsessed with parking and what vehicle is parked, it's mainly being snobbish and a perceived senses of self importance. Either way I will be refusing to discuss it with anyone verbally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement