Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Guns do we Need...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, I guess I'm luckier than most of you, with regard to shooting, as -

1. I'm retired and have only to please myself as and when I work.

2. I manage to shoot two evenings and two days a week - evenings indoors until the weather/days gets better/longer, and outdoors in the afternoons - sometimes three times a week.

So I can justify having what I have by reason of shooting all of them - each and every one, over a period of about three months.

Since I have 2x308, 2x7.5mm Swiss, 2x7mm Mauser, a 6.5mm SE, a 58cal carbine, seven different .22s and three large-calibre handguns [2 BP and one centre-fire], I get to really make some smoke.

Unlike you, I don't have the pain of having to account for my ammunition - loaded or fired. Here an empty case is what it says, an empty case. I have an allowance on each of my centre-fire calibres that I'm never likely to exceed, since I don't actually buy the stuff at all, just run up a hundred every now and then, and my .22RF allocation is a laff.

I'm about getting ready to go out right now, in fact. If anybody cares to join me, just turn up on my doorstep between now and midday.

I'll even bring the coffee and cookies.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

tac foley wrote: »

I'm about getting ready to go out right now, in fact. If anybody cares to join me, just turn up on my doorstep between now and midday.

I'll even bring the coffee and cookies. tac

Alas my wife has taken the Harrier to go to work and the old Green Godess is too slow to make it over in time, I would bring 'Puff the Magic Dragon' but doubt you range is certified for it. The young lads will probably not understand this.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Alas my wife has taken the Harrier to go to work and the old Green Godess is too slow to make it over in time, I would bring 'Puff the Magic Dragon' but doubt you range is certified for it. The young lads will probably not understand this.

Darn it, you would have had a GREAT time, too, before the light went.

I shot -

1. My Krico 650SS.

2. Alan's 1907 Savage Model 99 - even hit the target a couple of times - we really MUST sort out a load that works....

3. Adrian's K31 with a scout scope mount.

4. A bunch of mundane stuff that none of you guys with all your super-duper stuff would be interested in...

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

tac foley wrote: »
    Darn it, you would have had a GREAT time, too, before the light went.

I shot -

1. My Krico 650SS.

2. Alan's 1907 Savage Model 99 - even hit the target a couple of times - we really MUST sort out a load that works....

3. Adrian's K31 with a scout scope mount.

4. A bunch of mundane stuff that none of you guys with all your super-duper stuff would be interested in...

Best

tac

I so miss the smell of napalm in the morning, nostalgia just aint what it used to be is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Savage 99, nice. What chambering? I've never gotten my mitts on one, but it's a very cool lever action. Would love to try one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Savage 99, nice. What chambering? I've never gotten my mitts on one, but it's a very cool lever action. Would love to try one.

+1 , its the only lever action that i would consider buying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXn-x1GEHE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A dealer was showing me some .300 Savage ammo a while ago. Neat little case. Close enough to .308 Win ballistics from a neat little case in a trim lever action. That does sound like a lot of fun.

Thutty-thutty.

As used by generations of Canadians and americans to take whitetail...THE deer-slayer.

Sadly not legal for deer here in Scotland due to the rather odd rules regarding both velocity AND muzzle energy.

Mind you, trying to get within a hundred yards of ANY deer on a Scottish hillside is never going to be easy.

The Savage Model 99 is SO clever. A remainin-round counter and a spiffy rotary magazine AND a working calibre all in one neat little compact package.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

So after all the to'ing and fro'ing what is the final count for the minimum number of firearms required for competition and hunting for the man that can afford to buy them all????

Advertisement