Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody on a Wheat Free Diet?

• 29-11-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

GP told me to go off Wheat, Dairy and Port!!!!:eek:

Doesn't leave much to eat:rolleyes:

Of course on top of that I live in West Cork so not sure of getting to Tesco all that often for choice:(

My question is:

Has anyone been told to try the above, and what were your symptoms and did the change in diet help? How long did it take to improve?

Ive been sick for the last three months in a row, on an off prior to that. Feeling sick continuousely is annoying now to say the least!! Can anyone help!! Im feeling like theres going to be no improvement!!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

mumof2 wrote: »

Of course on top of that I live in West Cork so not sure of getting to Tesco all that often for choice:(

My question is:

Has anyone been told to try the above, and what were your symptoms and did the change in diet help? How long did it take to improve?

Ive been sick for the last three months in a row, on an off prior to that. Feeling sick continuousely is annoying now to say the least!! Can anyone help!! Im feeling like theres going to be no improvement!!:(

In general GP's know little about nutrition and food allergies.. Can I ask what tests or investigation was involved in coming to this decision..

I'm thinking he's taking a stab in the dark with his recommendations ??

To be sure of any intolerance you need proper help, exclusion and re-introduction in a structured process is the way to go... Its not popular though as it takes time, lots of people like the mumbo-jumbo approach that costs them money to get useless results..

I'm not sure about yourself but particularly for women advising someone to stop or restrict Dairy is ridiculous and dangerous. This point alone would lead me to think its pure guesswork!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

bbam wrote: »

In general GP's know little about nutrition and food allergies.. Can I ask what tests or investigation was involved in coming to this decision..

I'm thinking he's taking a stab in the dark with his recommendations ??

To be sure of any intolerance you need proper help, exclusion and re-introduction in a structured process is the way to go... Its not popular though as it takes time, lots of people like the mumbo-jumbo approach that costs them money to get useless results..

I'm not sure about yourself but particularly for women advising someone to stop or restrict Dairy is ridiculous and dangerous. This point alone would lead me to think its pure guesswork!!

Blood tests were done. Coeliac negative and blood count fine. Am on tabs for stomach acid and she said I seem to suffer from IBS as well.

Other than that a month ago she said to keep a food diary and see what triggers are. Unfortunately nothing has stood out and in the month I had 4 good days but appears pure luck as no change in eating habits:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Why is it dangerous for women to stop eating Dairy?

There must be vegans dying every day of the week and we're not hearing about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why is it dangerous for women to stop eating Dairy?

There must be vegans dying every day of the week and we're not hearing about it...

I didn't say anyone was dying..
    Haven't you heard of osteoporosis ?

Restricting or eliminating dairy without proper advice is dangerous, particularly for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I try to avoid wheat and dairy. I found that eating wheat was causing me to develop acne, so I try to cut it out. It's a bit of a pain, because nearly everything contains it, but it's better than having to take Roaccutane, which is where I was headed.

You should have a look at the Paleo Primal diet, which is what I try to follow. There are a good few threads on here pertaining to it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056765159

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

If you start with the dairy first as it clears your system faster than wheat, roughly 3 days, and then see if the wheat makes a difference. Tahini is a very good source of calcium, much higher bioavailibility than milk. Your best bet is a health food store for that (a bit like peanut butter), If you give up wheat just make sure you get enough b- vits, especially folate. Dove's brand of flour is really good for baking and has recipes on the back. Sorry, can't help with the port. Bet that one's the hardest! Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

dairy is a pretty poor source of calcium rate ... the conversion rate utilized by the body is very low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

My question is:

I gave up wheat and sugar initially:- I got rid of acid reflux, tinnitus and itching (sounds a bit odd I know!) but if i eat wheat I get really itchy these days. The acid reflux was the best thing to get rid of I suffered from it badly for years and was on tablets for a long time - they did nothing. I can't help you on how long it took because I didn't give up wheat and sugar to improve them so it was only after a while that I noticed they were gone.

the tinnitus I only noticed in the last few months - I gave up wheat and sugar about two/three years ago, but it could have gone immediately, I just didn't notice because it never really bothered me, if you know what I mean...

It's actually not has hard as you might think. We really don't need all the carbs we eat. Meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, eggs - there is loads to eat, you just need to get a bit imaginative about cooking.

If you start with the dairy first as it clears your system faster than wheat, roughly 3 days, and then see if the wheat makes a difference. Tahini is a very good source of calcium, much higher bioavailibility than milk. Your best bet is a health food store for that (a bit like peanut butter), If you give up wheat just make sure you get enough b- vits, especially folate. Dove's brand of flour is really good for baking and has recipes on the back. Sorry, can't help with the port. Bet that one's the hardest! Best of luck

Ha ha, wish it was Port I meant:D I meant to say Pork!!!:o

Im going to start the wheat first, as personally I don't think its dairy as I wouldn't have it on a daily basis (even hidden in products).

Is it very similar to a Coeliac diet if your Wheat intolerable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Tesco oatcakes are cheap @ 99c, a bit bland on own but great with something on them, and will go some way to replacing bread in your diet. I buy them in 24 boxes each time which would suit u considering location. Many athletes dont eat wheat so nothing uncommon. best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not much to eat? Meat, veg, fruit, rice, eggs, nuts, millions of spices etc etc

What you mean is there's nothing you can eat which comes out of a cardboard box and brightly coloured packaging. Which if you value your health is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

you know with coeliac blood tests a lot can influence the final outcome, you may be show as negative but still be coeliac, just an fyi, I learnt over the years

Thank you everyone for responding!! It's given me a boost for the day! (I feel good this morning, having only had 1.5 wheat free days so far. (how long should it take till its cleared)?

It's hard to see what's in front of you when your so used to doing it one way all the time. With kids, time is not on my side but I'm planning on making my own soups, sauces and breads again like I did before. (Slipped back into the routine of buying the stuff in colourful packaging was easier and less time consuming!!)

Health is a big issue in our family, we're very sporty, walk, jog cycle swim etc. The kids love it - my knees can't do jogging or cycling but I'll walk for hours and take my camera too;-)

@Animord - interesting about the tinnitus as I have a friend who suffers with it, and reckons its stress related, which incidentally alot of illnesses are in my opinion!

Fair play to you and well done on getting there:-)

Did ye know pepper contains gluten to stop it from sticking?!! Wonder if other spices are affected. Will stick with herbs for the moment!!

Fresh is the way to go:-)

Really appreciate the support - I swear I had brain fog and couldn't see what's in front of me:-/
    Going to tesco on Saturday to stock up:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Thank you everyone for responding!! It's given me a boost for the day! (I feel good this morning, having only had 1.5 wheat free days so far. (how long should it take till its cleared)?

It's hard to see what's in front of you when your so used to doing it one way all the time. With kids, time is not on my side but I'm planning on making my own soups, sauces and breads again like I did before. (Slipped back into the routine of buying the stuff in colourful packaging was easier and less time consuming!!)

Health is a big issue in our family, we're very sporty, walk, jog cycle swim etc. The kids love it - my knees can't do jogging or cycling but I'll walk for hours and take my camera too;-)

@Animord - interesting about the tinnitus as I have a friend who suffers with it, and reckons its stress related, which incidentally alot of illnesses are in my opinion!

Fair play to you and well done on getting there:-)

Did ye know pepper contains gluten to stop it from sticking?!! Wonder if other spices are affected. Will stick with herbs for the moment!!

Fresh is the way to go:-)

Really appreciate the support - I swear I had brain fog and couldn't see what's in front of me:-/
    Going to tesco on Saturday to stock up:-)

I used to lie in bed at night convinced there was a car running just outside my bedroom window - I can't tell you how many times I got up just to have a look. Anyway, it's gone now, which is great.

There is wheat in loads and loads of stuff - you will find yourself doing an awful lot of reading when you go to the supermarket - it is easier just to buy, for instance, whole black pepper and grind it yourself.

I also thought you really meant port and not pork. I think you should get better clarification from the doctor about exactly what s/he is trying to get you off - it will make it easier if you know why you are doing what he wants you to do.

Animord wrote: »
    I used to lie in bed at night convinced there was a car running just outside my bedroom window - I can't tell you how many times I got up just to have a look. Anyway, it's gone now, which is great.

There is wheat in loads and loads of stuff - you will find yourself doing an awful lot of reading when you go to the supermarket - it is easier just to buy, for instance, whole black pepper and grind it yourself.

I also thought you really meant port and not pork. I think you should get better clarification from the doctor about exactly what s/he is trying to get you off - it will make it easier if you know why you are doing what he wants you to do.

Im using whole peppers and a grinder so Im allright there so - hurray!!

As for the GP, Im taking it one thing at a time, I don't eat much port(K) :p if any, and dairy intake is low as well. Wheat is a big thing in this house, and didn't realise it until I looked:(

Thanks so much for all your tips and advice. Im off for the weekend and going to (hopefully) enjoy it:D

Advertisement