Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door cctv peephole install advice on concealing wires

Options
  • 29-11-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to install one of these cameras images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTigePiPLXnBgGslRii9dZs76vnt0OyH6pQzGOEeeizp7jUJPzY but i dont want the cable protruding from the back of the door. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSar_14Uqq1qTlVk4WSPThzDks-ZlTScp-yJBO0M9KmrUx2LOvG I plan to drill a 5mm tunnel/hole 41cm long from the centre of the door out to the hinges. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcrnUbS2KEZVTxV12MOJDBNf-K5bAbd-JjaWizii4ZsNss4sAQ The door is solid wood and 55mm thick.

(I have seen the battery operated all-in-one door viewers images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_lptxmd1pPtIQykXFfbu06DmT33PrGDPI2iIXkU4VqBGJffvWbA, with the lcd on the rear, but I want something that will feed into my home cctv system)

Questions...

1) will drilling the door frame in this way compromise its strength?
    2) what type of drill bit is best suited to the job.. one like this 30500.jpg
    or this 92134.jpg
    3) any tips on keeping the bit in the centre of the door
    4) should I oil the shaft of the bit to reduce friction?

thanks in advance

adrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Are you a carpenter? If not then please get one to drill that hole for you, I have seen too many drill bits coming out in the wrong place on doors just like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

No, just a diy type. My main concern is the structural integrity of the hall door after drilling halfway thru it. Someones already had a go at kicking it in! Its a lot of hassle for the sake of some conduit but wud look much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Synkro wrote: »
    No, just a diy type. My main concern is the structural integrity of the hall door after drilling halfway thru it. Someones already had a go at kicking it in! Its a lot of hassle for the sake of some conduit but wud look much better...

Could you attach a piece of decorative moulding to conceal the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

Could put some trunking on the back of the door but it wudnt look the best. Spoke to a carpenter and he suggested using the spade type bit (the other wud pull too much). He didnt think the door wud be weakened with a 5mm hole.
    Re keeping the bit straight in the middle... Im thinking bout taping a laser pointer to the drill and lining it up that way....might work

Advertisement