Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One serious racist incident a week reported to Immigrant Council of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

loggedoff wrote: »
    I know that, but they may have a point, no?

I actually don't see any point in random person telling a skilled, needed and permanently settled immigrant to feck off; but feel free to elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Chinasea wrote: »
    .Denise Charlton, Chief Executive of the Immigrant Council of Ireland said:
    "The European Agency of Fundamental Rights has found that in minority communities across the EU one in every four people has been a victim of crime in the past year. This is a survey of over 23,000 people and cannot be easily dismissed.

The Immigrant Council of Ireland's preliminary figures for 2012 show we are responding to an average of one serious racist a week and it is clear that Ireland is not immune from this problem. The first step is to acknowledge that hate crime exists. Victims should be actively encouraged to come forward and offered every possible support, instead of being greeted with official indifference. Harsh sentences are also required for specific hate crimes and incidents of racism.

This report is too heavy on BS imho and many of it's methods of analysis are a sham.

Firstly one incident is too many - yet one a week in a country of many millions strikes me as incredibly low and a great reflection on our country.

One sham factor in this report is it's dependency on self reporting. Minority groups are often hyper sensitive to racist content in how they are perceived and treated and their word alone is not enough to label an incident as racist. I have known many immigrants and I am actually dating an immigrant right now. I see first hand how slights and abuse is commonly mis-interpreted as racist instead of being purely ignorant and abusive. and totally unconnected with race. That goes for minorities here and Irish minorities in the US and UK. We irish are not immune to the same issue.
    This was a press release from yesterday launched by the Immigration Council of Ireland. Unfortunately none of it surprises me and sadly I think it must be absolutely terrifying to be out and about on our streets knowing that you might well have a totally unprovoked serious assault just because someone doesn’t like the look of you based on their judgement of your skin colour. For sure there will be the usual not so smart quips at this article, but I for one think it is so shameful.

It is naive an disingenuous to imagine that only immigrants are at risk of this kind of unprovoked attack. Anyone who monitors crimes in Dublin and Cork and galway knows that this happens far more often to Irish people than to immigrants. My own son has experience of this and he is 7th generation, at least, Irish.

Racism is a sickness, and should be ostracised and where appropriate punished wherever it appears. But exaggerating issues and incidents by the Immigrant Council is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

mhge wrote: »
    Well listen to some then, there a thread here as well if you don't believe me. I said "all right" not "all" BTW.

In your earlier post you seem to be implying that if someone experiences any issues it's their fault because they don't make an effort like you do. It's quite a patronising thing to say (especially if you're not of colour and do not have that experience).

As I said I haven't been harassed either but I don't believe it's because I'm in any way special, just lucky; I know decent people who have.

If I meet someone who don't like me or calls me names I deal with on the spot, it has nothing to do with my race etc and yes I stand out like most people.

As for patronising asking me if I am of colour is pretty partonising to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Heh, I guessed right as to who started the thread. :)
    Odysseus wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I don't think we have a significant racist problem over here. Yeah people may be attacked and racist language may be used, but I don't think there are many hate crimes as such happening. I worked in the UK on sites when I was younger, there I had the joy of having to deal with the type of person who alines himself with groups like comat 18, there is a big difference is dealing with people like that and someone who called me a Paddy whatever in a heated moment.

The latter may happen here but I don't think there is much of the former going on.
    You're right. Of course there are going to be racially motivated incidents of idiocy - like in any country, but to make out Ireland is a brutally racist society is just laughable. The OP has an agenda - to point out how backwards Irish society specifically is; if they weren't Irish themselves, they would be deemed an anti Irish bigot (oh the irony of being a bigot to point out bigotry :)). They're always starting these threads. Look at the nonsense about "shame". They can be ashamed all they like, I'm certainly not going to feel shame just because I share my nationality with a few moronic thugs.

A young black boy unfortunately got a firework into the face at Halloween and it was deemed just thuggery and a case of the poor kid being in the wrong place at the wrong time - the boy's mother didn't even claim she felt it was racially motivated. A white kid was attacked in a similar way nearby. But the OP of this thread insisted that it was racially motivated - over and over, with absolutely no proof, and was eventually banned for being an ass-hat.

yayaitsme wrote: »
    This is where the problem lies in my opinion, I believe it comes from what they learn at home. My daughter has been subject to racist comments frequently from when she was just a toddler. She has been punched in the face because as the child said " what's wrong with you that your brown I don't like your colour" . Its a common occurrence but she just doesn't react to it any more

Liar - children have no concept of race.

SWL wrote: »
    As for patronising asking me if I am of colour is pretty partonising to me.

It's a relevant question seeing how you seem to know what everyone else is feeling and getting. I would not make claims to fully understand what some of my friends experience without walking in their shoes. I retract it if it makes a difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I may be wrong but I don't think we have a significant racist problem over here. Yeah people may be attacked and racist language may be used, but I don't think there are many hate crimes as such happening. I worked in the UK on sites when I was younger, there I had the joy of having to deal with the type of person who alines himself with groups like comat 18, there is a big difference is dealing with people like that and someone who called me a Paddy whatever in a heated moment.

The latter may happen here but I don't think there is much of the former going on.

thankfully your right the foreigner hating right in Ireland is tiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That sums up the problems in Ireland, Quango workers like yourself too busy with knee jerk reactions than facing the truth.

I'm a quango worker? Do please tell me how you came to that conclusion?

thankfully your right the foreigner hating right in Ireland is tiny

I agree, it's mostly scumbags and casual racism IMO.

• Advertisement

It's a relevant question seeing how you seem to know what everyone else is feeling and getting. I would not make claims to fully understand what some of my friends experience without walking in their shoes. I retract it if it makes a difference though.

Your a racist, what is worse you believe you and your friend are victims and can only be victims.

As I have already said if it is a bad as the Reports make out only a fool would stay in Ireland, so why are you or your friends still here, I think we both know the reason.

Your a racist, what is worse you believe you and your friend are victims and can only be victims.

As I have already said if it is a bad as the Reports make out only a fool would stay in Ireland, so why are you or your friends still here, I think we both know the reason.

I don't the reason, so why don't you tell us?

You might also explain how you came to the conclusion that I work for a quango.

I think you're overreacting, loads.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm a quango worker? Do please tell me how you came to that conclusion?

Its a fact Mrs

Anyhow I know this will upset you, but this thread is not about you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

No concept of race is needed to identify someone is of a different skin colour. Just colour vision. Also, why do you think kids dont have the concept of race? Children can have all kinds of concepts taught to them at home or elsewhere. You don't know if someone is lying - it's not that crazy a claim in any case!

I think you're overreacting, loads.

Is that becasue I am of colour, or does that make any difference

• Advertisement

Nope, you're simply overreacting. Loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If you keep pigeon holing ordinary hard working people like these quangos do many people will revolt, the idea that Irish people have nothing better to do than be racist is not normal, and worse is not accurate of Ireland.

Who am I pigeon holing?

Jezek wrote: »
    No concept of race is needed to identify someone is of a different skin colour. Just colour vision. Also, why do you think kids dont have the concept of race? Children can have all kinds of concepts taught to them at home or elsewhere. You don't know if someone is lying - it's not that crazy a claim in any case!

It is a lie, repeated attacks on a toddler will never be accepted by a parent or teacher irrespective of their colour. Does a black child ever punch a white child because of their colour?

Who am I pigeon holing?

I didn't say you I refered to the Quangos

Nope, you're simply overreacting. Loads.

says the guy who thinks most Irish people are out to get his friends becasue they are black.

• Advertisement

Its a fact Mrs

Anyhow I know this will upset you, but this thread is not about you

I'm a mrs now? Fascinating.

Now - you happened to say - in this very thread -
    That sums up the problems in Ireland, Quango workers like yourself too busy with knee jerk reactions than facing the truth.

Now, on what grounds do you say that I work for a quango?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

Immigrant Council of Ireland releases research saying racism is on the rise. Also today the Irish Nurses Organisation released research which says there are too few nurses in comparison to other countries. ASH says smoking is getting worse. The Irish chocolate manufacturers will probably release research tomorrow saying chocolate is good for you.

You do see where this is going I hope. Research always produces the result you are looking for, that is the first thing any researcher knows. Of course the Immigrant Council says racism is terrible, they want the government to keep giving them dosh which I'm sure they do (lots).

says the guy who thinks most Irish people are out to get his friends becasue they are black.

You haven't even read my posts if you think I'm a guy, that actually explains a lot more.

It is a lie, repeated attacks on a toddler will never be accepted by a parent or teacher irrespective of their colour. Does a black child ever punch a white child because of their colour?

The claim is that the punch has happened once, and that abuse( generalised, maybe verbal) is common. Also it is very probably acceptable to many parents, who are not better than punching someone just because of a difference in skin colour themselves.

Black kids probably punch white children all the time. Kids are mean to other kids and any difference can be used as an excuse for violence.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Heh, I guessed right as to who started the thread. :)

A young black boy unfortunately got a firework into the face at Halloween and it was deemed just thuggery and a case of the poor kid being in the wrong place at the wrong time - the boy's mother didn't even claim she felt it was racially motivated. A white kid was attacked in a similar way nearby. But the OP of this thread insisted that it was racially motivated - over and over, with absolutely no proof, and was eventually banned for being an ass-hat.

I remembered that thread and the poster too; there does seem to be an agenda there.

I'm a mrs now? Fascinating.

Now - you happened to say - in this very thread -

Now, on what grounds do you say that I work for a quango?

Yes you are female, now as usual maybe you could go elsewhere, you will be getting paid tomorrow to spend a whole day on here tellling everybody how racist they all are.

Jezek wrote: »
    The claim is that the punch has happened once, and that abuse( generalised, maybe verbal) is common. Also it is very probably acceptable to many parents, who are not better than punching someone just because of a difference in skin colour themselves.

Black kids probably punch white children all the time. Kids are mean to other kids and any difference can be used as an excuse for violence.

The poster siad it was a common occurence so I call BS.

Yes kids are mean to other kids is that becasue their parents tell/show them how to be violent to other kids becasue that is what you are saying.

Aslo who do the fat or short or ginger kids blame can they blame the parents of the kid who punched them for showing them at home?

The poster siad it was a common occurence so I call BS.

Yes kids are mean to other kids is that becasue their parents tell/show them how to be violent to other kids becasue that is what you are saying.

Aslo who do the fat or short or ginger kids blame can they blame the parents of the kid who punched them for showing them at home?

they can blame whoever they want. you can call them all liars. all I'm saying is these things happen

Yes you are female,.

And whats that based on?
    now as usual maybe you could go elsewhere, you will be getting paid tomorrow to spend a whole day on here tellling everybody how racist they all are.

On what grounds do you say that I work for a quango?

And whats that based on?

On what grounds do you say that I work for a quango?

Listen love contribute something or go for a walk gods knows you need the excerise.

Night night dear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Listen love contribute something or go for a walk gods knows you need the excerise.

Night night dear

Mod

Banned for this and all the other nonsense as well

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

This Report is bullsh1t, I am a foreigner never had any hassle living in Ireland, maybe because I make an effort to get along with Irish and Non Irish people, maybe becasue if someone says boo I don't run to some overpaid quango worker shouting teacher teacher that boy called me a name, help me help me I am such a victim of the racist Irish people.

This is a quango who publishes the number of racist events in Ireland at the same time every year; right before the budget so their well paid jobs, paid for by the racist irish are protected from cutbacks.

According to this organisation racism is increasing and when knee jerk reactions continue to take precedence over common sense people will be expected to not only pay for this crap but too put up with the Ireland is full of racists.

Much better if they addressed why some Irish people have a problem with certain foreigners in Ireland

LOL just going through your post history starting with your initial posts.

You're very against foreigners for a foreigner aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

I actually don't see any point in random person telling a skilled, needed and permanently settled immigrant to feck off; but feel free to elaborate.

The ones sitting, begging on the street that I referenced my post to?

The ones sitting, begging on the street that I referenced my post to?

You replied to my post about working people being told similar stuff actually!

We're all 'of colour'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

Were you the one consoling my child and explaining there is nothing wrong with her ? no I didn't think so. my point was that it was probably something heard at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The Government should conduct its own independent research and not rely on data from a source which has its own self-interest at heart.

You replied to my post about working people being told similar stuff actually!

Actually my point was to Jezek's original post (no.33)if you care to read through.

Actually my point was to Jezek's original post (no.33)if you care to read through.

Fair enough. I think that whatever point she may have about systemic beggar import strategies, harassing them in the street does not make her any more decent. Is it racist? Dunno. Does she give out to native junkies as well or just to foreigners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

I actually stated that the comments were frequent. She was punched once, believe me if it happened a second time I would have been one seriously pissed off mommy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I've talked about my own experience a few times on this board. My second or third day in Ireland, I was visiting apartments for a room to rent. While walking to my first appointment, I was going through the Summerhill neighborhood when a group of youth began throwing large chunks of cement taken from the sidewalk or building wall at me while yelling for me to go back to Africa. Then, another group of youth approached me but they didn't say or do anything. I wasn't sure if they were prepared to do something if I went at the first group, or if they were going to intervene on my behalf. I had bruises and scraps on my leg.

It was enough of a lasting experience that I talked to the head of my department about it, but I didn't report it to any authorities. I don't think it was serious enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Stupid people attack innocent people.

Stupid people abuse innocent people.

When doing this, stupid people attempt to target or single out any identifiable differences to the person they are attacking. This is normal behaviour by stupid people.

The man in this video is neither gay, nor is he Arab. Yet the ignorant pig in the video still tries to attack him for those traits she deems to be different to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I didn't even get past the first four replies and they were exactly what it's to be expected from irish people.

a) it's not that bad
    b) there's no problem, just a few bad eggs
    c) ireland is great

Therein lies the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Leftist wrote: »
    I didn't even get past the first four replies and they were exactly what it's to be expected from irish people.

a) it's not that bad
    b) there's no problem, just a few bad eggs
    c) ireland is great

Therein lies the problem.

This is true, the amount of people who come out with racist ****e that they think is not racist is crazy. Ireland is as bad as any other country regarding intolerence to people from other backgrounds.

Stupid people do stupid things and say stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I remembered that thread and the poster too; there does seem to be an agenda there.

Yes, I happen to care. Yes it bothers me that there is such hate towards one another in this country. Sorry, but I don't think I need to apologies for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Stupid people attack innocent people.

Stupid people abuse innocent people.

When doing this, stupid people attempt to target or single out any identifiable differences to the person they are attacking. This is normal behaviour by stupid people.

The man in this video is neither gay, nor is he Arab. Yet the ignorant pig in the video still tries to attack him for those traits she deems to be different to herself.

It is irresponsible to put racism down to mere stupidity, as that seeks to excuse it and undermine it seriousness. Racisim is real, it is not just stupidity and should not be dressed in more acceptable terms just to seek to lessen it effect.

Yes, I happen to care. Yes it bothers me that there is such hate towards one another in this country. Sorry, but I don't think I need to apologies for this.

So would I, I have intervened in incidents where people I work along side and others I don't know where being abused because of their race. I don't however, look for it where it is not, the tallaght incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So would I, I have intervened in incidents where people I work along side and others I don't know where being abused because of their race. I don't however, look for it where it is not, the tallaght incident.

Oh gawd.......

Imagine you were an obvious minority living in a community many of which didn't like you because they perceived you were not one of them. Now imagine that your window was smashed or your were verbally abused and worse, as you walked down the street. Imagine too, you had nowhere else to live.

Your choices are, either speak up and move out, or deny that you are being intimidated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't think Ireland has a serious racism problem. I've seen the odd old Irish guy act weird to black or middle east people but nothing that would be considered casual racism.

I've heard some eastern european lads make openly racist comments like racial segregation. But nothing that was the norm.

Oh gawd.......

Imagine you were an obvious minority living in a community many of which didn't like you because they perceived you were not one of them. Now imagine that your window was smashed or your were verbally abused and worse, as you walked down the street. Imagine too, you had nowhere else to live.

Your choices are, either speak up and move out, or deny that you are being intimidated.

I don't need to imagine that, I worked in various parts of the UK over 20 years ago, I have worked on sites with crews that belong to NF, Combat 18, and had to deal them.

I know what it is like to be called murdering Irish scum, I know what it is like to be stopped by certain members of the police who believe that because I was Irish I was involved in terrorism.

Thing is I don't see a lot of hate crimes over here though, see plenty of thick individuals but their is a difference there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement