Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolutely ridicuolous Humble Bundle Out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Three of those games have sequels just out or just around the corner. Maybe they are hoping that getting more people to play them now will boost the interest in the sequels.

Tempted to buy this just for the sake of it (doubt my pc could run any of them). Are they all first person shooter games (except SR3, of course)?

Been looking to get a racing game for a while now but don't want to spend a lot (as i know my PC will struggle to run anything worthwhile).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tempted to buy this just for the sake of it (doubt my pc could run any of them). Are they all first person shooter games (except SR3, of course)?

Been looking to get a racing game for a while now but don't want to spend a lot (as i know my PC will struggle to run anything worthwhile).
    Only Metro 2033 is an FPS. Red Faction is a third person shooter, Company of Heroes is a real time strategy, and Saints Row and Darksiders are classed as action-adventures. Saints Row is GTA-like, while Darksiders is Zelda-like.

No racing games, but Steam will be having a Christmas sale in the next few weeks, you might see something that'd suit your computer then. The likes of Trackmania is always sub-€5 - it doesn't need a great computer to run, but I don't know what type of racing you want. Origin is also having a sale throughout December. You can get Need for Speed: SHIFT for €7.49 today (50% off) if you fancy an arcade racer.

Only Metro 2033 is an FPS. Red Faction is a third person shooter, Company of Heroes is a real time strategy, and Saints Row and Darksiders are classed as action-adventures. Saints Row is GTA-like, while Darksiders is Zelda-like.

No racing games, but Steam will be having a Christmas sale in the next few weeks, you might see something that'd suit your computer then. The likes of Trackmania is always sub-€5 - it doesn't need a great computer to run, but I don't know what type of racing you want. Origin is also having a sale throughout December. You can get Need for Speed: SHIFT for €7.49 today (50% off) if you fancy an arcade racer.

Oh I know what Saint's Row is, alright (it's the only one of the games I'd be familiar with).

Seen as you seem to know your stuff with regards to gaming, would you have any idea of a racer that might be something along the lines of, say... Project Gotham Racing? That's a game I used to play a lot. It was more of a simulator type game, but not overly serious (wasnt as serious as Gran Turismo and the likes, but not as cartoony as most arcade racers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Great bundle , bought copies for myself and my brothers , COH is a great game to LAN!

Oh I know what Saint's Row is, alright (it's the only one of the games I'd be familiar with).

Seen as you seem to know your stuff with regards to gaming, would you have any idea of a racer that might be something along the lines of, say... Project Gotham Racing? That's a game I used to play a lot. It was more of a simulator type game, but not overly serious (wasnt as serious as Gran Turismo and the likes, but not as cartoony as most arcade racers).
    Of the racing games I've played over the last few years, the following might interest you.

The last game made by Bizarre Creations (PGR developer) was called Blur. Similar to PGR, but with a few more arcadey elements (like Mario Kart power-ups, but with real cars). It's ~18 months old now, so it might be able to run on your computer. It's currently €20 on Steam.

Another one, similar to Blur and released at the same time, is Split/Second. Not as easy to find as a download on PC, you can get a disc copy from Amazon UK for £7.60.

One of the best racing games of this generation is Burnout Paradise. Currently €15 on Steam, but will be discounted further during the Christmas sale. Huge open world and great online play.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is another popular one. Open world like Burnout, and you switch between playing as a cop or a racer. €20 on Steam.

Those all sound pretty good. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this Christmas Sale. I'd just be a bit hesitant to spend €20 on a game that might work on my PC :/

I appreciate your help though. I'll certainly check out Blur if it's anything like you describe (sounds like a good laugh).

Currently downloading Saints Row 3, so hopefully that'll keep me entertained for a while. Cheers RobertFoster :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How is it? People paying a dollar are clogging up the key delivery system and lowering the average price, thus lowering the price for the premium content sr3. For roughly €0.50, split 4 ways? not too much in it in my opinion

It's peoples own fault if they had trouble getting the keys? You can either have an account or when you pay there is a link right there, on the page, to go to your keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Too buy now or to wait a few days to see if they add anything else hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jayteecork wrote: »
    So THQ is getting people who never play games to hand over money one must assume that this promotion is a success.

Ah no .. I play games infrequently :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

ChriisM wrote: »
    Too buy now or to wait a few days to see if they add anything else hmmmm

I you buy now and they add something you'll still get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I you buy now and they add something you'll still get it.

This. Plus usually the average price ends up going up as soon as they add extra content (though you still get it if you paid more than whatever the average was at the time).

I've only just got around to registering a HB account and linking my previous purchases to it. Looking at the list, I've 42 games, of which I've probably played maybe a dozen. There's at least two I nearly bought elsewhere recently, didn't know I had them. That's my night sorted!

MOH wrote: »
    This. Plus usually the average price ends up going up as soon as they add extra content (though you still get it if you paid more than whatever the average was at the time).

I've only just got around to registering a HB account and linking my previous purchases to it. Looking at the list, I've 42 games, of which I've probably played maybe a dozen. There's at least two I nearly bought elsewhere recently, didn't know I had them. That's my night sorted!

Same , I forgot I bought a load of Android games when they were on the HB , So much gaming on the go!

Right, this is a silly question, I'm sure, but can anyone who's familiar with Steam tell me, do I have to download these 7 games now? Or once I buy them are they mine forever to download and re-download whenever I want for the rest of my (or Steam's) life?

It's just I'm sitting here downloading practically non-stop since buying the games. They're big enough files, but I've no interest in playing any of them right now. Would prefer to play one or two and keep my HDD space.

Can I delete them off my PC and then just re-download again at a later date when I might actually want to play them or what way does it work? :confused:

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

You can download them now or not thats up to you but once they are in your steam account you can download at any time.
    Right, this is a silly question, I'm sure, but can anyone who's familiar with Steam tell me, do I have to download these 7 games now? Or once I buy them are they mine forever to download and re-download whenever I want for the rest of my (or Steam's) life?

It's just I'm sitting here downloading practically non-stop since buying the games. They're big enough files, but I've no interest in playing any of them right now. Would prefer to play one or two and keep my HDD space.

Can I delete them off my PC and then just re-download again at a later date when I might actually want to play them or what way does it work? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes you can.

Ah thank feck for that. All these 7-10GB files and me with no interest in touching any of them :/ :P

Thanks for the info there guys. Must keep myself clued into the whole Steam thing for any daycent sales or such. Wouldn't mind picking up a dirt cheap sims/sim city game.

Do any of ye have more information on the Humble Bundle? Can you view past bundles anywhere? I'm lead to believe they're mostly indy games (indy to me means side-scrolling game with a life-span of 30 seconds before getting bored, but I'm assuming it's not?)

Sorry, one last question, i have a few games partially downloaded... how do I get rid of these? simple right-click and delete, or do I go through a steam menu for it? (sorry for all the fairly basic questions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Don't suppose I'm able to plop any of the ones I already have into my inventory for trading later on? Already have Metro 2033, Company of Heroes/expansions and Darksiders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope.

• Advertisement

Sorry, one last question, i have a few games partially downloaded... how do I get rid of these? simple right-click and delete, or do I go through a steam menu for it? (sorry for all the fairly basic questions).
    Right Click > Delete Local Content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

New to steam and pc gaming.

So from the beginning....
    I create a steam account
    I buy this bundle for $1 (or pay $6 to include SR3?)
    I receive an email with a code (codes) to unlock the games.
    I receive links in my steam account for each of the games to download whenever and wherever I want
    And thus begins the insanity?

Is that about right?

P.S. What do people use for controllers these days? Is it still mouse and keyboard (like back in the Doom II days?) or can you plug in an Xbox 360 controller or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Soarer wrote: »
    New to steam and pc gaming.

So from the beginning....
    I create a steam account
    I buy this bundle for $1 (or pay $6 to include SR3?)
    I receive an email with a code (codes) to unlock the games.
    I receive links in my steam account for each of the games to download whenever and wherever I want
    And thus begins the insanity?

Is that about right?

P.S. What do people use for controllers these days? Is it still mouse and keyboard (like back in the Doom II days?) or can you plug in an Xbox 360 controller or something?

Yep that's exactly it. Keyboard and Mouse only for the Company of Heroes games, the rest support either Keyboard and mouse or 360/other controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Bought these the day they came out but haven't installed them yet. Was wondering could I install them off a portable hard drive and run them from there or do they have to be installed on the C: drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

sh__93 wrote: »
    Bought these the day they came out but haven't installed them yet. Was wondering could I install them off a portable hard drive and run them from there or do they have to be installed on the C: drive?

You can change the drive steam installs to afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

In somewhat related news they've made a Company of Heroes Movie

Cast isn't too bad. Hopefully this will keep THQ afloat long enough for them to bring out Homeworld 3!

I wouldn't recommend it , You'd have to install all of steam to the portable harddrive as you can't choose to install games seperately.

The performace would be terrible I'd reckon.

papu wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it , You'd have to install all of steam to the portable harddrive as you can't choose to install games seperately.

The performace would be terrible I'd reckon.

Ok thanks, what if I installed them on the D: drive instead as my C: is nearly full. Would performance be much worse?

Ok thanks, what if I installed them on the D: drive instead as my C: is nearly full. Would performance be much worse?

Performance would exactly the same assuming you're talking about the D: drive being an internal drive. If you have steam already installed on the C: drive and want to move it , Go to your steam directory in program files
    Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
    Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
    Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Remouad wrote: »
    In somewhat related news they've made a Company of Heroes Movie

Cast isn't too bad. Hopefully this will keep THQ afloat long enough for them to bring out Homeworld 3!

Direct-to-video schlock (let's be honest, if it appears in a cinema it's only so they can call it a feature film on the box) starring Vinnie Jones wouldn't even save the local supermarket from closing.

Sad to see Neal McDonough cashing in on Band of Brothers so crassly but there you go.

• Advertisement

Performance would exactly the same assuming you're talking about the D: drive being an internal drive. If you have steam already installed on the C: drive and want to move it , Go to your steam directory in program files
    Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example):D

That's so much handier. I'll do that. Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Movie looks bad. Low budget direct to video type stuff - which is fine and all, just not when it carries the name of such an awesome franchise.

Still, though, from the looks of it, it'll at least be respectable compared to the average quality of game-to-movie adaptions.

The movie is gonna rock.

Tom Sizemore and Vinny Jones simply do not bad movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It also has glaring inaccuracies, the box-art shows a Tiger tank, while the tanks seen in the actual trailer are not German tanks of any kind...just looks horribly cheap.

Titan Quest and Red Faction DLC added to the bundle!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Didnt have any of these games, so why not. A steal at $5.60 (bta)

Titan Quest and Red Faction DLC added to the bundle!

more free stuff yes. Ill get around to playing these games in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

more free stuff yes. Ill get around to playing these games in 2 years

aw bless!, yes you WILL dear

now run along and play with your invisible friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's an excellent deal that also includes the soundtrack. Can't be faulted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

If you opt into the Steam beta, it will give you the option to install games to another location almost every time you install a game (I think it depends on whether it is using Steam Content Pipe). Although almost every game has been switched over to it now

Movie looks bad. Low budget direct to video type stuff - which is fine and all, just not when it carries the name of such an awesome franchise.

Still, though, from the looks of it, it'll at least be respectable compared to the average quality of game-to-movie adaptions.

I'm actually looking forward to watching it. It looks cliched as hell with dome glaring inaccuracies and woeful CGI but Sizemore if on form can give an exceptional performance and McDonough is equally great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Performance would exactly the same assuming you're talking about the D: drive being an internal drive.

It also depends if the C drive is an SSD though, games will obviously initially load much slower from a standard drive

It also depends if the C drive is an SSD though, games will obviously initially load much slower from a standard drive

Yeah but nothing compared to an external..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Dawn of War added to it now. Savage game.

Dawn of War added to it now. Savage game.

+1
    Brilliant Game. Revolutionised the RTS. Wonder if they'll add the expansions....

• Advertisement

This is amazeballs.

THQ don't even need to keep adding these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Remouad wrote: »
    +1
    Wonder if they'll add the expansions....

GOTY edition so yes.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    GOTY edition so yes.

First expansion was released after the GOTY edition so they won't be included in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

• Advertisement
Advertisement