Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humble Bundle

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    The **** is wrong with people, seriously? There's even articles complaining about this on more legitmate sites. Note the fact that the use "charity" isn't used once in the entire article until a Humble representative weighs in. :(

Amongst the hyperbole they do make some vaguely worthwhile points. Let's just remove charity from the equation from the moment, as this is undeniably a surprisingly 'humble' move from THQ (albeit with obvious commercial benefits, but it's hard to be negative when the deal benefits both gamers and good causes). Humble Bundle have frequently shown their commitment to multi-format gaming, although with both this and the Double Fine bundle that just finished they've gone Windows exclusive. Remember that Mac and Linux users have, on average, been consistently more generous when it comes to these bundles as they're appreciative of the support for their formats (not exactly like the Linux gamer particularly is spoiled for choice). It's not completely unreasonable that they're a bit disappointed.

And I have to admit I was briefly surprised that Humble - who have consistently shown themselves to be one of the staunchest defenders of imaginative independent gaming, and DRM free gaming at that - have teamed up with a major publisher to offer very mainstream titles (no surprise its the best selling bundle yet). It's an unusual and unexpected step, so no reason people can't express moderate surprise. It is at odds with what, up until now, Humble was perceived to stand for - a reinterpretation of the company and what it does is required.

The value of the deal and the decency of THQ's offer does ultimately render complaints close to moot (well, for everyone except us Mac and Linux users left on the sidelines, but we've come to expect that ;)). A deal this big for Humble themselves would likely have been near impossible to turn down - significantly raising 'brand awareness' and likely a massive amount of charitable donations. It'll be interesting to see how the company expands going forward, given they've also offered soundtrack and e-book bundles this year. With expansion a few people inevitably get left behind or, in extreme situations, grow embittered - many will of course decide to vent on the Internet in regrettably exaggerated manner.

Plus, y'know, charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't activate it now but how will steam deal with already having some of the games already, not the same since the orange box was valve but I was able to gift some of those games since I already had them when that came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Amongst the hyperbole they do make some vaguely worthwhile points. Let's just remove charity from the equation from the moment, as this is undeniably a surprisingly 'humble' move from THQ (albeit with obvious commercial benefits, but it's hard to be negative when the deal benefits both gamers and good causes). Humble Bundle have frequently shown their commitment to multi-format gaming, although with both this and the Double Fine bundle that just finished they've gone Windows exclusive. Remember that Mac and Linux users have, on average, been consistently more generous when it comes to these bundles as they're appreciative of the support for their formats (not exactly like the Linux gamer particularly is spoiled for choice). It's not completely unreasonable that they're a bit disappointed.
    A temporary issue though, the Amnesia Bundle overlapped the HB Android 4 bundle which featured not only the usual multi-platform compatibility but also desktop and mobile versions where applicable too.
    And I have to admit I was briefly surprised that Humble - who have consistently shown themselves to be one of the staunchest defenders of imaginative independent gaming, and DRM free gaming at that - have teamed up with a major publisher to offer very mainstream titles (no surprise its the best selling bundle yet). It's an unusual and unexpected step, so no reason people can't express moderate surprise. It is at odds with what, up until now, Humble was perceived to stand for - a reinterpretation of the company and what it does is required.
    Surprise I can understand, in fact it was my first reaction too. Upon reflection though, it makes sense. As I said above, we've now had music and eBook based bundles as well as the more developer centric Introversion and Lexaloffle bundles, nevermind the awesome Amnesia Bundle so why not give AAA a chance?

I could understand possible outrage if they turned around and said they were moving to this kind of AAA content exclusively but as it stands the reaction comes across as knee jerk and completely over dramatic.
    The value of the deal and the decency of THQ's offer does ultimately render complaints close to moot (well, for everyone except us Mac and Linux users left on the sidelines, but we've come to expect that ;)). A deal this big for Humble themselves would likely have been near impossible to turn down - significantly raising 'brand awareness' and likely a massive amount of charitable donations. It'll be interesting to see how the company expands going forward, given they've also offered soundtrack and e-book bundles this year. With expansion a few people inevitably get left behind or, in extreme situations, grow embittered - many will of course decide to vent on the Internet in regrettably exaggerated manner.

Plus, y'know, charity.
    I'd imagine given the success of this bundle and their previous efforts we'll see further experimentation with bundles but yes, as long as no group completely gets lets behind then it'll be fine.

And yes, charity. Using the default split it works out as a bit over $200,000 after only what, 6 hours? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    And yes, charity. Using the default split it works out as a bit over $200,000 after only what, 6 hours? :)

I have heard several people confess to giving their full donation to THQ as they consider the publisher a charitable cause at this point ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't like Saints Row 3, so gave 80 cents for the rest. Already own all of the CoH's, and I'm not sure if I'll actually ever get around to playing the others (I avoided the Steam Sale this year for that reason), so meh. Before I bought these, I had 5-8 games that I don't think I've ever actually played yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Kinda disagree with the DRM and the big name publisher for this bundle but bought it anyway. Already own Saints Row 3 so anyone who would like it on Steam, gimme a PM and I will oblige

Edit: Now gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Varik wrote: »
    Can't activate it now but how will steam deal with already having some of the games already, not the same since the orange box was valve but I was able to gift some of those games since I already had them when that came out.

Says on the site that you "can't" gift the games you already own unfortunately.
    I just bought 3 packs, took down all the codes and will send them to people on STEAM later as a nice surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GhettoCornetto

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Kinda disagree with the DRM and the big name publisher for this bundle but bought it anyway. Already own Saints Row 3 so anyone who would like it on Steam, gimme a PM and I will oblige

Received with a huge amount of gratitude, thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jonnybadd wrote: »

Edit: Now gone

Damn. I love free stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering I already own Darksiders and Metro and own games in about a 2:1 ratio (2 games owned, 1 game actually played) I'm gonna pass on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't even bother with the .exe files if there's a Steam code. I've long since passed the point of no return on that front and I'd actually stray away from buying a digital PC game if it didn't have Steam keys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Paid $10 for it. Brilliant value, with some great games. Not sure what there is to complain about it really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Overheal wrote: »
    Considering I already own Darksiders and Metro and own games in about a 2:1 ratio (2 games owned, 1 game actually played) I'm gonna pass on this.
    For $6 it does not matter; it's a Steam sale in quad damage mode :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nody wrote: »
    For $6 it does not matter; it's a Steam sale in quad damage mode :p.
    Quake 2 isn't there.

And yes, Steam: I've lose count of how many games I've owned in the past that are simply missing now because well, they're gone. Steam fixes that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't even bother with the .exe files if there's a Steam code. I've long since passed the point of no return on that front and I'd actually stray away from buying a digital PC game if it didn't have Steam keys.
    +1

I jumped on a bargain posted in the, well, Gaming Bargains thread too quickly a few weeks ago, and was left with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood... AS A NON-STEAM GAME! Cue big regrets when I realized that. I'm hooked to Steam for life at this stage... or until the next best game management / library solution comes around.

This bundle is amazing value, no doubt. Have all the games bar some of the CoH ones, so won't be buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I cracked and bought it. Even though i have a lot of them on console it was just too good a deal to turn down and its nice to have the option to play them on pc as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Own Darksiders on console, never liked it, but I didn't get into it.

From what I've seen and heard, its worth it just for SR3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'm in the same boat. I already own Metro on PC and Darksiders / Saints row on xbox but I just couldn't resist. Can't go wrong with helping out a worthwhile cause at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I had everything except the Company of Heroes games, but for €4.79 it's a bargain for them alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

They just added Titan Quest and a Red Faction expansion onto the humble bundle ... free for anyone who has already bought it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What was an already great bundle, is now even better. Fantastic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

They just added Dawn of War 40k Game of the year edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Jonny7 wrote: »

cheers for that.Gonna redeem it now.Was actully only gonna buy this over the weekend but decided to wait.

Jonny7 wrote: »

Can't activate it now to check but are you sure it's the game of the year edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Varik wrote: »
    Can't activate it now to check but are you sure it's the game of the year edition?

Yup, definitely GOTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Warhammer 40,000 DOW GOTY added if you paid over the average.

Edit: I really should have read the thread first. I didn't own any of the games so it really was fantastic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone wanna swap a game code they have for Steam for the main code in the HB?

containing Darksiders, Red Faction: Armageddon, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
    I might throw in Saints row if you're nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dropped $10 for this earlier, mainly for Metro 2033 as its the only one I dont have......or want *glares at Red Faction:A*

Then THQ goes and makes it free to anyone on Facebook.....THQ, why you trolling me so?

Still can't check but people are saying that 40k is the gold edition which is the main game and the first expansion, never got the last expansion so was hoping that would be part of it but got it free after already buying the bundles so can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I just checked, in my steam library its called Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition.

Advertisement