Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help picking headphones for around 100 euro

• 29-11-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking to get a pair of headphones this Christmas but the more I search the more frustrated I get due to conflicting reviews etc so looking for a bit of advice (never really bought a decent pair before so i'm a bit lost).

Willing to spend up to 100 euro. Looking for a set that will sit on or over the ear (without being ginormous), folds up nicely and is a decent durability (will be moving them about a bit but will be using them in work and home too). Good sound quality goes without saying!

After a bit of looking the Sony MDR models V6 and 7506 stand out and I also kind of like the look of the Marshall Majors (though from some forums I read people slate them but at this stage I can find a bad review for nearly every set that starts to look anyway decent).

Any help is really greatly appreciated. Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

The sony's are a good starting point, the marshall's less so. This link will steer you in the right direction. Use ctrl+f to search through the reviews quickly as there's an awful lot of info.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-105-portable-headphones-reviewed-bowers-wilkins-p3-added-11-11-12

Marshall Major - B32
    Sony MDR-V6 - B21
    Sony MDR-ZX700 -A11

Other ones to read up on. You don't mention what genres you like or if you want something that isolates well some of these might not suit.

Creative Aurvana Live! - B3
    Superlux hd 668b - B27
    JVC HA-M750 - C7 (use C8 as there's a lot of other C7s)
    Philips Stretch - B33

I think most if not all of these are available from amazon.co.uk and you can use uk.camelcamelcamel.com to do price comparisons over time to see which is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Really appreciate the reply chief! If it helps you narrow down the options a bit I mostly listen to rock/blues/jazz. I also play bass so something that would put out a nice bass sound would help whenever I'm trying to learn something new. As for noise isolation its not essential but I'd be willing to pay the extra bit more if it was there as i'll be using these on trips and such so that would be handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Creative Aurvana Live are good for bass, they don't isolate as well as some of the sonys but they've very high quality internals. I'd rule our the marshall major's which don't seem as good value for £80.

It's a toss up between the Creative Aurvana Live! and the Sony Mdr-ZX700 both of which are £50-55 from amazon. The CAL! has got the nice bass but it's a bit lacking in isolation whilst the ZX700 is a fine all rounder but might not have that bass you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Brow wrote: »
    Hey all, looking to get a pair of headphones this Christmas but the more I search the more frustrated I get due to conflicting reviews etc so looking for a bit of advice (never really bought a decent pair before so i'm a bit lost).

Willing to spend up to 100 euro. Looking for a set that will sit on or over the ear (without being ginormous), folds up nicely and is a decent durability (will be moving them about a bit but will be using them in work and home too). Good sound quality goes without saying!

After a bit of looking the Sony MDR models V6 and 7506 stand out and I also kind of like the look of the Marshall Majors (though from some forums I read people slate them but at this stage I can find a bad review for nearly every set that starts to look anyway decent).

Any help is really greatly appreciated. Please help!
    I got these a few weeks ago. Really like em

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V55...2273733&sr=8-1

Advertisement