Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten-free buns

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hey, we're having a cake sale in work tomorrow and I said I'd make some queen cakes. Thing is, one of the girls I work with is coeliac and she never gets to eat any cake at this type of thing. I have some gluten- and wheat-free flour so I was going to make a batch of gluten-free ones as well. Can I just sub in this flour for normal plain flour or should I add anything extra? Should it taste okay? (I think horrible cake would be worse than no cake for her!) Help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

You can just use gluten free flour but your utensils (spatula, bowls, etc) can hold onto particles of gluten so it depends really on how severe her reaction is to it. Some people would be fine with just the flour substituted, others can get sick from the cross contamination of using the same utensils as baking with gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Thanks, from what she's said I don't think it's on the severe end of things so I'll work away with just changing the flour, and do the gluten-free ones first so there's no normal flour residue around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I just substitute but use doves flour not the odlums crap. Make sure to use gf baking powder as well

Yup that's what I have, and bicarbonate of soda so should be ok. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I just substitute but use doves flour not the odlums crap. Make sure to use gf baking powder as well

I find the odlums ones to be excellent. It just needs to be sieved first.

• Advertisement

I found there was a really funny, almost bitter after taste to the buns. I made another batch with ordinary flour and they were fine - any of ye come across this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

A lot of gluten free ingredients on here, might be worth taking a look.
    http://shopglutenfree.ie

Advertisement