Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unacceptable Changes to Holiday Booking

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Basically, we've booked a holiday over the Christmas and this afternoon, our travel agent rang me with a bit of a problem at the apartment.
    The swimming pool is due to undergo maintenence works two days before we arrive and finish the evening we arrive. The agent informed me that in the event that the work isn't finished, we can avail of a free shuttle service to a sister horel to use their pool.
    I wasn't happy but said nothing at the time, as I bit caught on the hop at the time she called and hadn't time to talk it over.
    I checked out this other hotel and its a mile and a half away, or 10-15 mins by bus. I'm seriously pissed off as one of my favourite aspects of any holiday is being able to trot down to the pool when the mood takes me. And its not the same if I have to wait for a bus, travel there and back, just for a dip.
    I'd rather not take the chance that the work will be finished as I've seen that go pearshaped in the past.
    If the agent can't come up with alternative accomadation, am I entitled to a full refund as they, in my opinion, arn't fulfilling the terms of our agreement.
    Going in tomorrow to talk it over. Would like some facts to back up my case.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I doubt it, imo. There's more to a holiday than just the hotel swimming pool. Having to travel 10-15mins at no charge to use pool may be inconvenient but they are providing a pool. If you go through the fine print in your agreement you'll most likely find some clause saying facilities cannot be guaranteed or along those lines, and to be fair they are trying to look after you. You could see if they can transfer your accommodation to the sister hotel if the pool is so important but you might lose out on other aspects.

Anyway, you can hardly seek breach of contract for something that might not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You can be pretty sure there is a clause as slimjimmc and they have made pretty reasonable effort to accommodate you. Maybe ask can you change hotel. In my view its the luck of the draw regarding maintenance. Some agents wouldn't even tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks for the replies lads. Spoke to a friend in the travel business since I posted and the reply was similar to yours. Its a big part of our holiday as our young one lives for the pool and having to travel back and forth is a pain in the ass. Anyway, I'll have to wait and see what the TA says tomorrow.
    p.s Got the email address of the apartment we're staying in. Would it hurt to contact them directly and see what the story is on the ground, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Thanks for the replies lads. Spoke to a friend in the travel business since I posted and the reply was similar to yours. Its a big part of our holiday as our young one lives for the pool and having to travel back and forth is a pain in the ass. Anyway, I'll have to wait and see what the TA says tomorrow.
    p.s Got the email address of the apartment we're staying in. Would it hurt to contact them directly and see what the story is on the ground, so to speak.

Damages have been awarded against holiday companies for very minor breaches. The issue is it may not happen. I'd contact your travel agent and explain that you'd rather have a refund - if they refuse send a letter in explaining that if you can't use the pool you will be looking for a reduction in the cost of the holiday as the pool is the main part as far as your concerned.

That's a band aid - you'd be in a much stronger position if you had made, and could prove, the travel agent aware of the requirement for a pool at the time of booking.

Would it not be easier to just ask them to move you to the other hotel for the duration of your stay, if the pool isn't finished on time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement