Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend G330

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

bought this phone today from meteor. Want to unlock it but the previous link on ebay has unlisted the ad. If someone could reccomend another site that would be great as I have no clue about this and am nervous about losing my money to some dodgy hoodwinker

Hi, it's not available on meteor's website. Did you buy it from a meteor shop? Do you know if it is still available?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

bought this phone today from meteor. Want to unlock it but the previous link on ebay has unlisted the ad. If someone could reccomend another site that would be great as I have no clue about this and am nervous about losing my money to some dodgy hoodwinker

Bought a galaxy mini from meteor and it was already unlocked. Seems to be common enough with them . Have u tried another sim on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I've had the g330 for about 2 weeks now so I'll add abit more to this. I think its a great spec for the money. I have had the odd random reboot like some people have had here. Occasional bugs here and there but nothing that any other manufacturer would not have. I do hope they release a firmware update to fix the bugs but it is only a new device on the market so its to be expected I suppose.
    The cameras mechanical lense focus is rather loud and I think the snaps colour representation is not the most accurate..

I dont like that sorry excuse of a notification led! It seems to be hidden behind the ear piece mesh. You can't really see it properly and looks as if huawei stuck it there at the last minute instead of putting a proper hole in the casing for it.

Games are running great though and skype is a breeze:D. I hope cyanogenmod comes out for this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Haven't had any crashes as such, but have had to reboot once or twice when wifi stopped working.

The focus sound is loud, I think it's not a mechanical sound but a sound effect played through the speaker. That's another thing, similar to some other phones you can't turn off the focus and shutter sounds

Notification light hasn't bothered me too much but you are right about it being a bit weak where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

konline wrote: »
    Hi, it's not available on meteor's website. Did you buy it from a meteor shop? Do you know if it is still available?
    Thanks.

Hi it's only available on emobiles website but there out of stock at the moment but they can be bought in a meteor/ emobile shop - a meteor sim card should work in an emobile phone.

ALso a quick question - My husband bought one of these phones just before Christmas - our first venture into smartphone technology. Its turned itself off for no reason several times. When he turns it on again it's fine but it's frustrating when it just cuts out in the middle of a phone call. Has this happened to anybody else?

• Advertisement

cals wrote: »

Hi it's only available on emobiles website but there out of stock at the moment but they can be bought in a meteor/ emobile shop - a meteor sim card should work in an emobile phone.

ALso a quick question - My husband bought one of these phones just before Christmas - our first venture into smartphone technology. Its turned itself off for no reason several times. When he turns it on again it's fine but it's frustrating when it just cuts out in the middle of a phone call. Has this happened to anybody else?

Hiya, mine just randomly reboots itself 3 or 4 times a week to. Huawei just need to release a software update for it as the phone has a few little bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

mondeo wrote: »
    Hiya, mine just randomly reboots itself 3 or 4 times a week to. Huawei just need to release a software update for it as the phone has a few little bugs.

Yea this is happening to me as well. Getting quite annoying - I keep losing gps tracking and dropping phone calls because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

zil wrote: »
    Yea this is happening to me as well. Getting quite annoying - I keep losing gps tracking and dropping phone calls because of it.

Yes this is really pissing me off now, considering selling it now to be honest and getting a G2S instead,

Its a shame its so close to a great budget phone

So anyone finding podcast really low on this?

Also anyone know the Service Menu Code?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

For anyone interested, this link below has instructions on how to root the phone, and it also seems like someone just managed to hack the bootloader??

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2023790

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

naughtb4 wrote: »
    So anyone finding podcast really low on this?

Also anyone know the Service Menu Code?

*#*#2846579#*#*

Some googling led me here, the code brings up a testing menu on my Ascend G330 but I haven't tried any of the functions myself.

The audio output from the 3.5mm jack is far too low. I hope that Huawei will issue an update to fix the all of firmware problems, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublin Duchess

Heard Y300 coming out to replace in early March-anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

Heard Y300 coming out to replace in early March-anyone know anything about this?

Yeah, I saw that too on one of the meteor forum pages - someone asked was the G330 coming back in stock and the reply from the meteor guy was as you heard - the Y300 will replace it inMarch.

This phone is really pushing my patience.. Three random reboots today and counting. There is feck all firmwares updates out there to fix this buggy phone. I think Ill move on to somthing else with better support. Shame really but what can you do:(.

mondeo wrote: »
    This phone is really pushing my patience.. Three random reboots today and counting. There is feck all firmwares updates out there to fix this buggy phone. I think Ill move on to somthing else with better support. Shame really but what can you do:(.

agree, although i bought a standalone battery charger and two spare batteries for this for 10 euro or so and its been very handy! oddly enough i have had no crashes on the non standard batteries

I find removing apps/not using the stock apps for dialler etc has imporved performance.

It really needs a new rom, but it seems like none are forthcoming.

Problem is it seems that its a bad time to buy a phone i think. i am going to wait for the jiayu g4 and see how that pans out

agree, although i bought a standalone battery charger and two spare batteries for this for 10 euro or so and its been very handy! oddly enough i have had no crashes on the non standard batteries

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Have had one or two reboots the last month, think it was in the car on charger, using bluetooth for music and with speedometer app running. Don't make too many calls. Otherwise it's been pretty stable, wifi needs to be toggled sometimes to pick up access point. Would be nice to see some updates appearing though

Dialler One is a good replacement for the stock Dialler, no lag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Just received an OTA software update. Not sure what is in it though.

• Advertisement

Me too, says "Android is upgrading" JB?? Edit, nope no idea what it did!!

Also mods, any chance we can move this to Android Forum?

Thanks

I scanned for the update manually and installed it.

It's not JB, it's still at 4.0.4. On the plus side, the built-in spell check actually works. It will take time to see if stability improves, but has anyone checked whether earphone volume has been fixed?

I scanned for the update manually and installed it.

It's not JB, it's still at 4.0.4. On the plus side, the built-in spell check actually works. It will take time to see if stability improves, but has anyone checked whether earphone volume has been fixed?

Yeah delighted to see the spell check works those red underlines wrecked my head. Last chance saloon for the phone i think, its not a bad phone but just doesnt meet my needs.

Will need to check the earphone tomorrow, tough one to check when not in a noisy environ

Good to see an update

this is new on the huawei site, don't think it's much use though at the moment
    http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcxMDk=

Good to see an update

this is new on the huawei site, don't think it's much use though at the moment

What is on the site?

I got the update today and I have to say phone is running much better and has not had any random reboots. I would love to see a detailed list of the bug fixes though. Its all good for me so far.

What is on the site?

Opps forgot link, put it in above... ICS kernel

Volume on the podcast seemed louder to me today, but it can very in sound quality anyway.

First day in a while i could cycle to work listening to a podcast without using a volume booster app. Hopefully due to the update.

Also contacted their customer care on facebook, who bizarrely told me no update was planned :S

So noticed a few things

80% sure Volume is louder, be keen to hear others opinions? another podcast on way home will test
    No redlines under words!!
    Camera is much quicker to take pictures (pet hate of mine on previous)
    No crashes!!

Negative is battery seems a bit worse (or maybe now it is just accurate, previously had very large jumps at below 50), also i thin i inadvertantly but bluetooth on :S

Iv gone from being prepared to trade it in for RazR i or Jiayu to being happy (ish) to keep it for now. I enjoy having a phone i dont need to baby sit and wrap in cotton wool!

Also, cos im in the writing mood, any apps people use to make this better

Iv had Camera360, Dialer One, Double Twist and Go SMS

Also using Atom Launcher which is nice :)

Anyone else found anything with the update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brianorb

Did the OTA update . The camera has improved, much much more responsive. The dictionary problem has been resolved which is relief. Not sure about battery yet, but it's definitely not worse.

This is a great phone given its affordability. I'd love Jellybean on it, though i have my doubts that it will happen; however given the Huawei released the source code that has to be a good thing. But... given the phone hasn't been out a terrifically long time and it seems it's going to be replaced in the short term I'm doubtful it receive a jellybean update.

Advertisement