Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workgroup public folder access problem on VPN

Options
  • 29-11-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have a friend whose work network consists of Windows 7, Vista and XP machines.

One of the Windows 7 Pro machines acts as a file server.

He asked me to restrict access to his folder in public. So I setup the NTFS and share persmission on the 'server' to restrict everyone bar him.

On his machine I added a registry entry net use z: \\server\share\userfolder username:username password

HKLM/Software/microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

This works fine when he is in the office.

He uses Hamatchi VPN to connect to the folder when at home. This was working fine before I restricted his folder. Since I put restrictions on he tells me he can't access his folder.

I thought that maybe the regedit was running before hamatchi had loaded on boot so I put a link to a batch file with the net use command on his desktop. he tells me clicking this doesn't work either.

I haven't been able to get him to check what error if any the net use command returns but thought I post the question anyway.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

amallon wrote: »
    I have a friend whose work network consists of Windows 7, Vista and XP machines.

One of the Windows 7 Pro machines acts as a file server.

He asked me to restrict access to his folder in public. So I setup the NTFS and share persmission on the 'server' to restrict everyone bar him.

On his machine I added a registry entry net use z: \\server\share\userfolder username:username password

HKLM/Software/microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

This works fine when he is in the office.

He uses Hamatchi VPN to connect to the folder when at home. This was working fine before I restricted his folder. Since I put restrictions on he tells me he can't access his folder.

I thought that maybe the regedit was running before hamatchi had loaded on boot so I put a link to a batch file with the net use command on his desktop. he tells me clicking this doesn't work either.

I haven't been able to get him to check what error if any the net use command returns but thought I post the question anyway.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Getting the error here is key I think..

Is there any chance there are more than the ten people connecting to the "server"?
    http://serverfault.com/questions/78653/is-it-ok-to-run-windows-7-for-a-file-server

Also, has he tried start-run and typing the share(\\pcname\sharename) name in that box. That should prompt him for a username and password to access the share.
    Try entering the username in the format PCORDOMAINTHATUSERRESIDESON\USERNAME
    PASSWORD
    once the VPN has been extablised.

Advertisement