Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2yr old bath time nightmare

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

In the last 2mths bath time has become a nightmare. Nothing happened to create this fear. I have tried different bath times as in morning/evening. I have tried using his bath or the normal big bath. I have tried bringing his favourite toys into the bath and still he wont get into the bath. I get as far as stripping him down all is well laughing and excitement about bath but as soon as we enter the bathroom he wraps his legs around me and wont let go and cries hysterically in actual terror.

I end up having to wash him down with a face cloth and his hair just doesn't get washed at all...its now getting beyond a joke he needs a good wash and I don't know what to do any more

Also bathroom is warm so its not that and water is right so not that

I have run-out of ideas to coax him into the bath...so any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

edellc wrote: »
    I have run-out of ideas to coax him into the bath...so any suggestions

Get in the bath with him and make a game of it?

Obviously I mean that as a temporary measure until he see's its ok.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is the water too cold?
    Do you put bubbles in it for him?
    My one year old was terrified of the noise of the shower and that put her off the bath for a while but now she asks for her bubble baths and all is well except for hair washing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Obviously I mean that as a temporary measure until he see's its ok.

doh why didnt I think of that, will give it a shot tomorrow

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is the water too cold?
    Do you put bubbles in it for him?
    My one year old was terrified of the noise of the shower and that put her off the bath for a while but now she asks for her bubble baths and all is well except for hair washing!

No the water is fine not too warm and not to cold and lots of bubbles, have a thermometer to check the temperature

He was never crazy about getting his hair washed but I was always super quick doing it as he was born with a head full of hair so i've had quite a bit of practice washing it at this stage so dont know if the hair washing has left him traumatised

He seems fine with the noise of the shower its actually the one loud noise he dont have a freak out over and is always in the bath room with me when I have a shower throwing his toys in on top of me so dont think its that

I have never taken him into the shower with me as I was always worried I would drop him and now being two he is a wriggly worm and its hard enough to hold onto him in clothes let alone naked

thank you both will give the same bath thing a shot tomorrow and see how we get on

moonbeam can I ask was it the bubbles that made your LO over come her fear of the shower/bath, and once she established she liked the bubbles was it easy enough to get her into the bath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our guy is the same when it comes to hair washing. he loves the bath and has no problems getting in...but the hair washing is a nightmare....Johnson's no more tears me ar*e

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Try sitting him down in the shower tray with his toys. My nephews love it.

If you are worried about him standing up and slipping, a hand towel under his feet will give a good grip. You can always wring it out afterwards and hang it to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Both my sons were disasters with the bath at that age. my oldest one started having showers. But we got him an additional shower head that we put down really low and made a big deal about it being his and how big he was getting.

My second son couldn't stand the sound of the shower so i didn't even bother try that. With him we found that he loved going.to the swimming pool. After a few trips to the pool he soon starting having a bath without causing a stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

This
    and this
    Neyite wrote: »
    Try sitting him down in the shower tray with his toys. My nephews love it.

If you are worried about him standing up and slipping, a hand towel under his feet will give a good grip. You can always wring it out afterwards and hang it to dry.

Bring in a favourite toy who got dirty in the garden/painted on etc and needs to be washed. Make a big game of it, what do we need to wash toy - water, cloth, soap etc, show me how you do it. Now toy needs to wash you and so on.

Perhaps try going to swimming pool and see if the reaction is the same there. Then at least you will know if the issue is with water in general or just with your bath at home. I would second the "get in with them" approach though.

edellc wrote: »
    doh why didnt I think of that, will give it a shot tomorrow

I hope it works out for you, a friend of mine solved the same problem this way and now her little fella loves his bath.

Only got around to have a bath with him today, yesterday was a bit of a mental one...

anyway so as expected he clung to me and refused to let go, but we go in the bath and he wouldnt sit on the bath mat so sat on my lap and all was going ok not great he was still nervous but okay, and then the hair had to be wet and washed on OMG he nearly threw himself over the side of the bath screaming but I told him we where going to wash his hair like mammys and like thomas - yes we had the train in the bath, so we got his hair washed and his body. it was the first time we had a bath like that so hopefully next time will be better

• Advertisement

Great to hear edellc, hopefully itll get easier as time passes.

Im liking Thomas the train in the bath helping out!!

oh its not just thomas that comes into the bath (when he had a bath) its James, Percy, Spencer, diesel and Emily and they all come to bed too, its a bloody nightmare..thankfully he brings the small ones and not the big ones that use the batteries as when they are brought to bed he accidentally turns them on and the wheels get caught in my hair and chunks of hair come out wrapped around the wheels....tizzent nice

thomas crazy in this house :)

I just wanted to say a big thank you username123 and yes hopefully next time will be less drama and in no time he will be going into the bath again on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My little girl will only go swimming if she has a duck in her hands..... Screams otherwise! Glad to hear the advise is working - think ill try getting in the bath trick too!

Advertisement