Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assinging Static IP address to network

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Can some one talk me through this or point me in the right direction.

I have a static IP address. I want to set it up for my IP Printers to be used remotely.
    I have vodafone broadband with the HG556a router and a Netgear Prosafe Firewall model FVS 318 a pc and a few IP printers.

Do I assign the IP address to the router and then increase the last number by 1 for the firewall, pc and each printer. I've tried to set it up with the Netgear and its telling me that the "IP address and the gateway are not in the same subnet mask".

Any help gratefully received

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You will probably still need to implement NAT and port forwarding. I'm guessing you only have a single static IP yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

rmacm wrote: »
    You will probably still need to implement NAT and port forwarding. I'm guessing you only have a single static IP yeah?

Yep, one single static IP address. How do I implement NAT an Port Forwarding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

trad wrote: »

Yep, one single static IP address. How do I implement NAT an Port Forwarding ?

If that's a vodafone locked router you "may" need a better one.
    You need to access the router to configure.
    Portforward.com provides a lot of info. I thin that's the link anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/HG556a/defaultguide.htm

Here's a guide... I think those vodafone routers might be ok for port forwarding but I cant confirm

stephendevlin thanks.
    Used the portforward app and reset the modem.
    Somewhere along the way the lan connection became disconnected.

Will have another look in the morning.
    Thanks for the help so far.

• Advertisement

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/HG556a/defaultguide.htm

Here's a guide... I think those vodafone routers might be ok for port forwarding but I cant confirm

Not getting anywhere, what router would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I know a handful of people with these particular modems which have multiple port forwarding applications configured on the modem, should be fine.
    That being said, this setup is a little different
    trad wrote: »
    Not getting anywhere

What's happening?

You could set the HG556a into DMZ mode, pointing to the firewall. From looking at the specs of your firewall, it can act as a NAT router.
    Connect your devices to the firewall, and the firewall to the modem (which I assume is how it's currently set up). Configure the port forwarding rules on the Firewall, and away you go.

This way, the HG556a passes off all the NAT routing to the firewall, which will then forward the port access to the printers/PC/whatever.

Generally, if it's a single static IP you have with your ISP, that will be assigned to your connection. If you check the connection statistics on your modem, you should see your static IP listed as the WAN IP.

Also, If the printers are the same model, and set to accept connections through certain ports, then you may have a conflict setting up more than one of them.
    What's the IP of the printer? Is it set to DHCP or static? Have you set that as the IP in the port forwarding config?

Here's a handy tool which will verify if the rules are configured correctly:
    http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Here is a link to the manual https://broadband.vodafone.ie/download/files/HuaweiHG556aServiceManual.pdf

I dont see anything about port forwarding on it.

Have you got the printers up and working ?

You could try Google Print to access them remotely.

The netgear box is at http://www.netwood.net/support/manuals/Netgear_FVS318_14.pdf

and you can setup port forwarding to the printers through that.

Xantia wrote: »
    Here is a link to the manual https://broadband.vodafone.ie/download/files/HuaweiHG556aServiceManual.pdf

I dont see anything about port forwarding on it.

It's there, just not called Port Forwarding.

Advanced setup->NAT->Virtual servers.

Thanks I did not see that
    However the OP has another box Netgear as well.

"I have vodafone broadband with the HG556a router and a Netgear Prosafe Firewall model FVS 318 a pc and a few IP printers."

• Advertisement

Xantia wrote: »
    Thanks I did not see that
    However the OP has another box Netgear as well.

"I have vodafone broadband with the HG556a router and a Netgear Prosafe Firewall model FVS 318 a pc and a few IP printers."

See my above post, #8

Thanks for all the input lads, I'll be busy until Saturday so I'll have a go at setting it up then.

2 things I'm not sure about.

1. If my static IP ends in .201 do I assign that number to the router or leave it at the 192.168.0.1? Do I then assign .202 to the firewall,.203 to the PC, .204 to the printer and so on?

2. Port forwarding. what range of ports do I forward? Never done this before so it's all new to me. Saw the DMZ in the VF router setup alright.

I assume you mean that you have one static IP address that was issued to you by Vodafone and it ends in .201 ?

That will be the external IP address that is on the router to Vodafone.

You will use an Internal IP address range 192.168.x.x for your different pieces of equipment internally at your end of the Router.

Those addresses can be static also but could be issued by your Router dynamically - as in a DHCP range

The port forwarding comes into play when you want to contact them over the internet.

You would contact your external IP address (x.x.x.201) using a port (1-65535) and that port is then forwarded to the Internal IP address.

Have a read up on http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/p/f/What-Is-Port-Forwarding.htm

Grand, getting my old head around this.
    My printers use Port 9100, so I'm guessing that when I reattach the Netgear VPN 318 i do the port forwarding on that and use Port 9100 only and use the internal IP address that came from DHCP.

Assuming I'm using the correct method and this works how do I determine the ip address of the printer if I want to allow people to print to it. (ie what ip address do i give to them to add to their printer list).

When I get this up and running I might write a blog on the business that boards and adverts built.

Well the IP address of the printers you would have got from DHCP
    You should be able to log on to the printer by putting the IP address into a browser like chrome and it should bring up the web page that is built in to the printer itself.
    There you can make more changes if required.

You can log on to your routers and see what IP addresses are after being issued and may be the names of the devices that have those IP addresses.

When you do find out an IP address of a Printer you can Install it by Adding the Printer as a Network Printer, have the drivers on a CD if required.

Advertisement