Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presens from Santa AND parents?

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So my daughter is 2.5 years old. Santa is bringing her a bicycle for Christmas :)

I'm just wondering what other parents do for Christmas, do your children also get presents from you as well as from Santa or do they get presents from Santa only? :)

Christmas Presents 81 votes

Ho ho ho, Presents from Santa and Parents
    0% 0 votes
    Bah Humbug, Presents from Santa alone
    55% 45 votes
    My naughty kid is getting a sack of coal
    44% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

One from Santa and one from us. Santa's is the "big" one.

Otherwise they think you are skinflint.

God no. Parents send the money to Santa for the presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was literally just discussing this with my husband! My parents never got us presents... Santa did :D I did think it was really mean seeing as we would have bought them presents from our saved up pocket money and then they got us nothing :confused: Obviously now I know they did but as a child it never sat right with me....

Doesn't have to be expensive just something from ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

just santa here, but now that you say it, my two girls must think im a right tight arse :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

WE were both raised with Santa only presents, so will be the same for us. I remember being confused with my friend getting presents from their parents,and getting wrapped presents from Santa, ours were never wrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ginny wrote: »
    WE were both raised with Santa only presents, so will be the same for us. I remember being confused with my friend getting presents from their parents,and getting wrapped presents from Santa, ours were never wrapped.

Ah ya gotta wrap everything, that's the fun of it, watching them ripping the stuff to shreds.

Then theres the cleaning up :(

Oh Jesus people! Santa presents are never wrapped. They're all set up ready for the wow factor when the sitting room door is opened, none of this putting together stuff Christmas morning. That's for Santa to do christmas eve so Christmas morning is all about the playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

we always got main presents from Santa and one present from parents.
    Hubbie got santa presents but no pressies from his mam.
    So far we've done Santa (unwrapped!!) and one biggish present and a few little ones like books (wrapped) from us!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A small present from parents and main present from Santa.
    Santa presents are never wrapped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

We do both, Santa unwrapped also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This is great :) So many variations. When I was growing up there were Santa presents and presents from my parents (as you may have guessed from my poll :D).

My wife on the other hand had presents from Santa and that was it, nothing from parents. Santa wrapped her presents too whereas mine were arranged, unwrapped, by the tree. So many variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think making new traditions as a family is really exciting. I think my husband had his Santa presents wrapped and we didn't. How could you see ALL the things you got all at once if the were wrapped.

I think we might do a present from us under the tree and Santa presents unwrapped. I must send my husband the memo on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Ha - our presents were never wrapped either and it used to confuse me that other people's were. Why did santy not wrap my presents? My mum used to do a big arrangement so when you came into the sitting room the presents were all laid out like in a shop. It was great! We also only got presents from Santa but on Christmas Eve we'd get new pyjamas, dressing gowns and slippers, as well as something to wear on Christmas Day and they were from my parents, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Growing up we got (wrapped) presents from Santa alone, but I think in hindsight that made the Ultimate Truth that much harder to swallow.

For our kids, Santa is leaving some wrapped presents but my hubby & I have also decided that each of us will make a present for everyone else too. I'll be sewing a fairy dress for each of my girls this year (can't decide what to make for the hubby though?!) Over time I think making a gift for each person will bring the "meaning" of Xmas back.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

We got presents from Santa only, but my parents had to pay him. He was much cheaper than the shops though :) We never thought to question it.
    We always got "Christmas clothes" so that was like a present from our parents.

Santa presents were always unwrapped, and ready to be played with.
    Presents from aunts and uncles were distributed throughout the day so we had time to appreciate everything we got. Also it kept the excitement going throughout the day :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Santa usually never wrapped his presents, but one christmas he did. Unfortunately he STOLE some of Mammy's wrapping paper to do so. :eek: Dad later clarified that phoned and asked first so that was ok. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 YouThere

answer - our kids receive from both Santa and parents.

the parent present in our house is higher value than whatever Santa spends/makes. Santa has so many kids to care for that he brings nominal value presents.
    By doing it this way, we thought we might do our bit to avoid the playground comparisons/envy. Perhaps we over-thunk it?

btw, not saying that we go overboard on the parent present. Big presents are usually for birthdays. Easier to spread the costs across the year this way.
    (to provide context - 4 kids and they're not quads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

We had a very peculiar tradition. I don't actually remember believing in Santa since an adult told me it was made up when I was 5. But the other little children in my family believed in him. Every adult had a 'santa' so you'd have a present from grandma's santa, one from auntie's santa etc... They were all wrapped under a fake, horrible looking and tiny tree that we've had for decades! We are not religious and are form a wide mixture of backgrounds so we mixed it up a lot. Xmas diner was couscous every other year or so, and sometimes we did Hannoel (mixture of hannukah and noel)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

For us we got my son (will be almost 9 months at Xmas) a Vtech Walker as his main 'Santa' present, Santa also stuffs his sock over the fire with small things like a material textured book, rattles, cuddly toy, candy canes etc. Then me and his Dad get him some bits and pieces like books, toys for the bath & a dog toy that walks & barks.
    Santa present just gets a bow, we wrapped the presents from us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Ms2011 wrote: »
    For us we got my son (will be almost 9 months at Xmas) a Vtech Walker as his main 'Santa' present, Santa also stuffs his sock over the fire with small things like a material textured book, rattles, cuddly toy, candy canes etc. Then me and his Dad get him some bits and pieces like books, toys for the bath & a dog toy that walks & barks.
    Santa present just gets a bow, we wrapped the presents from us :-)

Santa always wraps, but this my 3rd year doing Santa first year I just wrapped, 2nd year I wrapped but opened present first and took out all the fiddley strings and tags so present can be pulled straight from box.

Santas bringing a bike this year so will prob get a ribbon for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We always got small gifts from our parents (books/puzzles etc)and our 'proper' gifts from Santa, sometimes wrapped, sometimes not. We plan on doing the same when our wee one is old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We always had main present from santa unwraped and present from parents wrapped and under the tree. Ive done the same for my lil one this year but think i went a bit ott. She'l be 8 months and is getting a bounce n spin zebra from santa and a walking dog that she pulls along, toy phone and, zylphone for stocking. Then a vtech walker, ball pit and balls and big foam ABC jigsaw from us. To be honest ive been buying since sept and all items were bought on offer and seperatly and popped into the attick . it wasnt until during the week when OH was getting it all down did we realise how much id got., i was a bit shocked myself. Had forgotten bout zebra and stocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

There was 12 in our family growing up so santa never wrapped and my parents always had a present for each child also. Santa did a sock for each of us also.
    I have 2 and santa wrap's, they get a present and a surprise each santa leave's a sock out side each door and we open these in our bed in the morning before going downstairs, and presents from us varies in amounts.

This thread has prompted me to have a chat with my husband about what we'll do for our kids. I've never thought about it before. His family are not a Christian religion and don't really celebrate Christmas (we had Christmas with them one year and they made me a turkey to be nice, but it had been curried and covered in spices - best turkey I ever had!). He did get one Santa present every year though that went under a little mini tree. He didn't realise that here Santa brings you an array of presents, not just one small one. He was a bit shocked when I told him that we used to get our presents laid out and get a collection of things. Very interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We had presents from Santa and from our parents...Santa had his own wrapping paper (all the Santa presents would be wrapped in the same paper, usually with Santa clauses on it) and his hand writing was so sloppy! (My moms left hand writing! Haha) when we were little most presents were from Santa and one or two from mom and dad but as we got older most of the presents were from mom and dad and maybe one or two from Santa...and actually still my mom will wrap a present to my sister and I from Santa just for traditions sake! I totally plan on doing the same!

Does anyone else's mother still buy them a selection box? I get one every year from mine - would be devestated if she forgot! She always says it's from "Santa". Rach's post about still getting a santa present reminded me about it. Hope she gets me a good one this year :)

I also asked my Dad a while back how he used to get the letters to go up the chimney when the fire was going. I wanted to know did the heat off the flames carry it or something. He just kept saying "Santa takes them". I'm almost 30 Dad - I can handle the truth!

I'm feeling very Christmassy now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Well weren't we the lucky ones, cause Santa for as long as I can remember came to our house every christmas to give us our presents in person. We would be all together extended family (probably near 40 of us) and close to midnight when santa had finished dropping off all the presents, he came to our house and we had to sing him a song to get our present:p
    An uncle or cousin would put on the suit, I have great memories of it, even my 4ft tall grandma did it one year, thankfully I already knew it wasnt real santa otherwise I would have had some shock! We keep going to this day, its a comedy show for the adults and a magical one for the little ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Oh yes, we also got the presents under the tree from our parents and that was great to!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I got presents from santa and parents.
    Now to be fair my parents were divorced when I was 5 so I used to have 2 Christmas days so to speak.

Santa would bring small presents (in a giant stocking, most wrapped. Usually at my Mums / grandparents house. Usually things like hair bands, stationary, sweets)

Mum would get me a largeish present.

Dad would also - but some years they would co-ordinate.

Mum says now she used to love shopping for my stocking - all the little cheap bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Small present from sc ... Big present from parents ... No way guy in suit is getting all the credit!

Advertisement