Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig of The Year [So Far]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Paul Kalkbrenner (I am disappointed he wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread. for shame)
    Deadmau5

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Another vote for Rammstein here. I loved every minute of that gig from the entrance through the crowd leading into Sonne and finishing with Pussy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Modeselektor
    Animal Collective
    Fr. John Misty
    Bon Iver
    Grimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Best year I've had gig/festival wise in a long time:

Top 5 Gigs:
    1. Muse @ O2 Dublin
    2. Foo Fighters @ Tennents Vital
    3. Stone Roses @ Phoenix Park
    4. Snow Patrol @ O2 Dublin (also excellent at PP)
    5. James Morrison @ Ulster Hall Belfast

Top 3 UK Gigs;
    1. Stone Roses @ Heaton Park
    2. SHM @ Milton Keynes Bowl
    3. Thin Lizzy @ Apollo London

Top 3 Festivals:
    1. Electric Picnic
    2. Indiependence
    3. Forbidden Fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

JJ wrote: »
    It can only be...

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

this. /thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Blink-182!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Bruce or the Foo's
    Indiependence for festival of the year (its the only one i went to :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Bruce is up there but Watch the Throne was just unreal! Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Been a good year for gigs. I'm including festival appearances, they def count.

Worthy contenders go to M83 at Body&Soul, Roots Manuva at EP, Japandroids at Workmen and Santigold at Button Factory. No 2 was Errors at Grand Social, such a class band, hope they come back.

No 1 is easily The Throne. What a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

For us, Muse & Metronomy were the highlights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, O2
    Sparks, The Button Factory

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Sugar Club back in January. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Keane at the Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Another vote for Rammstein here - truly awesome. Probably one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Machine Head @ Olympia were brilliant too (so glad I wore earplugs though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Lady Gaga Born This Way Ball @ Aviva Stadium ! Hands down the best concert ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Just thinking back over the year of gigs, there has been some great ones

The first 'Great' gig of 2012 was Van Morrison in the O2 in Feb. The atmosphere was unbelievable and Van was on top form. He was also on form in Marlay Park but that wasn't quite as magical as the O2 gig.

Skipping on to the summer which had some cracking shows

First really fun one of the summer was the Happy Mondays in the Olympia in May. All the crowd were up for a great time and it was great to see the original Mondays back together again.

A fantastic night of trad in Vicar Street for Andy Irvines 70th birthday gig. Top class musicians were there that night including, Paul Brady, Donal Lunny, Liam O'Flynn, Paddy Glackin, Mozaik, Johnny Moynihan etc.

Stone Roses was a nostalgia filled night in the Pheonix Park, complete opposite crowd as to what was to come the following night. Mick Jones and The Wailers added to the evening immensely.

Paul Simon was another magical gig in the O2, Graceland band are some of the best musicians out there.

My Gigs of the year had to be the double shot of Springsteen in the RDS. Bruce and the E Street Band killing it two nights in a row, enough said.

Many more gigs this year worth noting:

John Cale
    Rodriguez
    Ronan O'Snodaigh's amazing series of 5 gigs in Whelans
    Tom Jones
    CW Stoneking
    The Straits
    Liam O'Maonlai
    Damien Dempsey
    Declan Sinnott
    and a few more along the way that I'm forgetting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Didn't get to as many this year as I usually do, but the top one was definitely Billy Talent in the Academy (Dublin) in August. Was brilliant seeing them in such a small venue, the setlist was almost perfect and I met two of them afterwards :D Yeah, I'm probably too old for that fangirl stuff but whatever :P

Wish I'd gone to the Foos in Belfast, stupidly held out for a Dublin date and then didn't have money later in the summer to get tickets (which were probably sold out by then anyway) :(

Blink 182 were pretty good in June (esp cause the support acts were All American Rejects and Four Year Strong) and I really enjoyed The Milk at the Trinity Ball (didn't know who they were beforehand, but their 3am set was so much fun!). Also, Snow Patrol in January. That show got a load of criticism, but I had fun...

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot about New Found Glory in Feb - that was an amazing show (even if I had to endure the Blackout and Let.live first).

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Didn't get to as many this year as I usually do, but the top one was definitely Billy Talent in the Academy (Dublin) in August. Was brilliant seeing them in such a small venue, the setlist was almost perfect and I met two of them afterwards :D Yeah, I'm probably too old for that fangirl stuff but whatever :P

Wish I'd gone to the Foos in Belfast, stupidly held out for a Dublin date and then didn't have money later in the summer to get tickets (which were probably sold out by then anyway) :(

Blink 182 were pretty good in June (esp cause the support acts were All American Rejects and Four Year Strong) and I really enjoyed The Milk at the Trinity Ball (didn't know who they were beforehand, but their 3am set was so much fun!). Also, Snow Patrol in January. That show got a load of criticism, but I had fun...

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot about New Found Glory in Feb - that was an amazing show (even if I had to endure the Blackout and Let.live first).

Blink-182 was good, and All-American Rejects were a far better support than Twin Atlantic (who they had 2 years ago), but Blink were better 2 years ago I must say. Was a little bit disappointed :-( (Weird, Down by Blink-182 just came on my iPod as I typed this!)

I had forgotten that the Snow Patrol gig was in 2012, that gig was amazing! Wouldn't have been an overly huge fan before (got the ticket as a present), but my God, they blew my mind that night. Went to see them in Phoenix Park again because the January gig won me over. I change my vote from Black Keys to Snow Patrol's January gig for my gig of the year!

Advertisement