Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boss,who does he think he is??

Options
  • 30-11-2012 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

So my mother is a lifelong fan of Bruce, bought every album, every live album every boxset, dvds, the works. She's been listening to him right from the start and has still yet to see him live, so she was naturally delighted when he announced the thomond park gig for next Summer, and planned to bring a couple of friends (also lifelong fans) along. Fair enough, great, so she decides to check the details on ticket master, 100 quid a pop, that is 300 quid for three lifelong fans who have bought every single song he's ever released to go see him live! Who does he think he is? Does he actually think he is the boss? How can this kind of pricing be justified? Rant/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Supply and demand, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Fair enough with supply and demand making the tickets sell out quickly, but why such a high price, I mean will there even be support acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Fair enough with supply and demand making the tickets sell out quickly, but why such a high price, I mean will there even be support acts?
    High price for venue and other rental items

Other acts seem to manage perfectly fine with considerably lower price ranges in venues just as large?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

To be fair, he is renowned for well over three hours of high energy performing. The fella isn't exactly my kind of thing, but you have to give him credit where its due in regard to that. Also, if she's been listening to him since the very start why hasn't she gone to see him before?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It's the going rate. If you feel that strongly about it, take a stand and don't go on principle. If enough people did that aritsts would lower their fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

The Boss doesn't need support acts!!!

Unfortunately that's the price of tickets these days but at least you know you are going to get at least 3 hours of magic with a Springsteen gig..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

When he was an out of work musician gigging for free and starving was anyone sending him money ?
    He doesnt owe anyone a free gigg in fairness . Im sure he played enough of them when he wasnt famous .
    He does give 110 percent in every perfornance Ive heard of . His band have to be able to play any 1 of hundreds of songs he picks going on how he feels .
    If it sells out he can charge what he likes unfortunatly .
    Apple can charge crazy money for anything they think up , why cant the boss ?
    Your mother paid for his albums . He never advertised a free live performance with everyone purchased .
    Plus Bruce just turns up and plays its the money men and promotoers you should complain to .
    Hes only in Ireland because his manager told him thats where the plane is going next .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I dont actually believe artists set the price of their tickets.

They notify the promoter of their fee and the promoter books them.

When the promoter then adds in venue hire, security, insurance etc, they then have a net cost of the occasion.

At this stage they divide the cost by the estimated attendee's and increase it slightly to allow them make a profit.

In my opinion, if a promoter knows an act is a guarenteed sellout (Ala Springsteen), they increase the price of the ticket significantly to make a larger profit.

Without knowing the artists fee, its impossible to know who's responsible to the ridicilously high prices of concert tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

100 euro is dear alright, especially for a gig at a provincial venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The artist doesnt set the admission prices, the promoter does. I'm no expert on these things but I would imagine this is how it works...the promoter books the artist. The artist has a performance fee, then there is the rent of the venue, security, first aid etc etc etc. The promoter adds that all up, puts a bit on the fee for himself and comes up with admission price which when divided by the capacity of the venue comes to about 100 quid in this case.

All promoters know they can charge what they like for tickets for an artist like Bruce playing here because it's obvious that the demand is there and it's a virtual certainty that it will sell out no matter how much the tickets are. To put it another if you can afford to go don't, someone else will buy your ticket.

What really is outrageous is the handling fee that Ticketbastard get for printing our tickets......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's reached the summit of the industry and can command high ticket prices because people will pay it to see him. Like someone mentioned already he toiled for years without making a bob and only through hard graft, persistence and obviously talent did he become successful.

I know it seems steep but he is still worth seeing, it's a gig your mother and friends will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

He plays 50-100% longer than other artists so I think that's reasonable enough.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The artist sets the ticket price.

Concerts like his shouldn't be so inaccessible for people. Never said anything about a free ticket now did I? Been to plenty of world class gigs for in or around 60 quid. And the acts complaining about illegal downloading, funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Concerts like his shouldn't be so inaccessible for people. Never said anything about a free ticket now did I? Been to plenty of world class gigs for in or around 60 quid. And the acts complaining about illegal downloading, funny.

Touring is the main source of income for an artist now. The CD and other physical forms of recordings are in serious decline. It's easy now for anybody to access music for free on the internet. Imo the future of the industry is in live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its supply and demand. If you don't like it, don't go.

Thing is, outside of the hardcore fans, occasional concert goers may see an artist once in a lifetime, so bearing that in mind, is €100 a lot to see someone who will be remembered as one of the greats? If you think it is, then fair enough, but its €50 to watch Ireland trying to play football for 90mins, maybe some would say The Boss provides better entertainment for €100?

True a beyonce ticket is 50 - 70 .
    I think hes worth double .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tachey Del Bosque

I'd agree with you for 99.9% of artists but The Boss is an absolute phenomenon live. Supply and demand along with the "he can't go on forever" edge to the gig means he's going to be in that price bracket. One thing you can guarantee for your money is an absolute belter of a show. He certainly isn't kicking back and living of past glories. There are few performers who can match his (and his band's) energy and even fewer with a back catalogue the quality of his. Without the high ticket prices, it's likely his promoters would urge him to skip on by Ireland too.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The artist sets the ticket price.
    Im sure he doesnt do it personally . Maybe bis manager .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Just imagine how many promising, up-and-coming artists you can see for €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Just imagine how many promising, up-and-coming artists you can see for €100.

I hear Union j are excellent.

On a side note its great to see major acts playing in provincial cities like they used to in the far distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When Bowie comes back, I'll gladly pay 100 euro to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Has the bOSS ever written a funny song?

So my mother is a lifelong fan of Bruce, bought every album, every live album every boxset, dvds, the works.

She should have no problem paying 100 for the ticket so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Has the Boss ever written a funny song?

No, but he has written a few more light-hearted things. TV Movie, an unreleased track from the Born in the USA sessions that ended up on the Tracks box set, springs to mind.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

€100 for a tier 1 musician is not excessive IMHO

• Subscribers Posts: 41,661 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leonard Cohen was €140 a few years back in sligo....
    The Boss is well worth €100 IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bruce wrote Pink Cadillac iirc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement