Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to spread this server load

Options
  • 30-11-2012 6:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I hope someone can advise me on this.

I currently have a single server (2.8 GHz Quad Core Processor, 8 GM RAM) which is beginning to struggle with its server load.

In a nutshell, this server is used both as a webserver and for data analysis. Both the webserver and data analysis functionality are linked, but there is on need for them to be on the same server. They both share a MySQL database.

The server load is mostly coming from the data analysis stuff, so would it make sense to move this to its own server, and keep the webserver and MySQL database on its own separate server?

Note in particular I am confused where is the best place to put the MySQL server. The webserver 99.9% of the time is just reading from the MySQL database, whereas the data analysis stuff is 99.9% of the time writing to the MySQL server.

MySQL is typically the biggest culprit when it comes to hogging the servers resources.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Hi all

I hope someone can advise me on this.

I currently have a single server (2.8 GHz Quad Core Processor, 8 GM RAM) which is beginning to struggle with its server load.

In a nutshell, this server is used both as a webserver and for data analysis. Both the webserver and data analysis functionality are linked, but there is on need for them to be on the same server. They both share a MySQL database.

The server load is mostly coming from the data analysis stuff, so would it make sense to move this to its own server, and keep the webserver and MySQL database on its own separate server?

Note in particular I am confused where is the best place to put the MySQL server. The webserver 99.9% of the time is just reading from the MySQL database, whereas the data analysis stuff is 99.9% of the time writing to the MySQL server.

MySQL is typically the biggest culprit when it comes to hogging the servers resources.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

What operating system are you running?

If it's linux can you post the output of:

free -m

egrep "buffer|cache" /etc/my.cnf.

sar or sar 5 10 for busiest period, vmstat 5 10 for busiest period.

If you had another server you could replicate the DB across both in master:master with increment-offsets if you use auto increment in your tables.

http://brendanschwartz.com/post/12702901390/mysql-master-master-replication

Have the analysis run on one server and the web server on the other.

Advertisement