Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Dimmer Switch Converting to Single to control all Downlights

Options
  • 30-11-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I have 8 down lighters that are controlled by a double dimmer switch
    Left dimmer Controls 4 lights
    Right Dimmer Controls 4 lights
    Is it possible to retrofit this switch so the 1 dimmer controls the full 8 lights?
    By either
    A: Wiring all the wires into one side of the double switch and leaving the other side unwired
    B: Getting a large single Double that can fit straight into where the double switch is now?

Any thoughts :)

Comments

Yes,
    but
    you gotta work out the wattage and get the right size dimmer.
    the bigger load (200watts 400w etc) the dimmer handles the bigger(deeper) it physically becomes.and more expensive.
    Maybe they backbox in the wall was shallow and a single wouldn't fit.
    take off the current one and have a look first.

goodluck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes:
    1) Why? Most people would prefer the existing setup. It gives more flexibility.
    2) Increased chance of the dimmer failing if you do this
    3) +1 to the previous post if you are going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Cheers lads on reflection i guess its handier less lights burning etc. Ill leave it be. To much hassle. Cheers for the info:) Wont be enough room anyway as the switches are back to back also. So nah silly idea on my part:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

John , just a quick thing, I think i recognize your username, have you replaced your lamps with 4W LEDS? if so putting them on one dimmer might actually help the operation of the dimming, but you still have the flexibility issues highlighted above.

Stoner wrote: »
    John , just a quick thing, I think i recognize your username, have you replaced your lamps with 4W LEDS? if so putting them on one dimmer might actually help the operation of the dimming, but you still have the flexibility issues highlighted above.

No mate, never bothered replacing them in the end, wasnt sure what the deal was with dimming them etc. Never got round to it. Luv me dimmers :cool:

Now that I think of it I might get these done after all. Ill check what i have and post in the LED sticky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have 8 down lighters that are controlled by a double dimmer switch
    Left dimmer Controls 4 lights
    Right Dimmer Controls 4 lights
    Is it possible to retrofit this switch so the 1 dimmer controls the full 8 lights?
    By either
    A: Wiring all the wires into one side of the double switch and leaving the other side unwired
    B: Getting a large single Double that can fit straight into where the double switch is now?

either way will work, when you say all the wires there
    Will probably be only 2 switch wires not 1 for each lamp. Just make sure that the dimmer is rated for the higher load. If there 50w gu10s you'll be going from 200w per circuit to 400w. Now would be a good time to replace with dim able LEDs and also get a dimmer that works at low power.

ted1 wrote: »
    either way will work, when you say all the wires there
    Will probably be only 2 switch wires not 1 for each lamp. Just make sure that the dimmer is rated for the higher load. If there 50w gu10s you'll be going from 200w per circuit to 400w. Now would be a good time to replace with dim able LEDs and also get a dimmer that works at low power.

Yeah im gonna tackle this now actually. Took pics today so ill be slipping into the Led sticky with my pics and questions. Pulled one of the lights out of the recess its a 12Volt 50 Watt with a what looks like a transformer (big white triangle box) wired into it.It looks like a GU10 but instead of terminals it has 2 small spikes that fit into the receptacle I guess this makes it a MR16 bulb
    MY main concern is that i get the same dimming range. In the evening I like to put the dimmers down VERY low to allmost candle light effect. Just a soft yellowy light. Makes the room quite cosy. Can the Leds be dimmed right down very low?

Advertisement