Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but

Options
  • 30-11-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Is talking about the MCD suing incident a big no no here by any chance, posted up a reminiscing thread on it on AH but it was locked pretty damn quickly.

Cheers
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure why one would reminisce about that but don't see why it should be verboten either.

Boards.ie was name-checked with regard to a firm of solicitors yesterday on RTE News, is that something we can talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

mike65 wrote: »

Boards.ie was name-checked with regard to a firm of solicitors yesterday on RTE News, is that something we can talk about?

Dav, posted about this yesterday and said its not to be mentioned while the case is ongoing. I'm on mobile and can't find the post now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers, I only caught the end, didn't know what it related to.

/zipped

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

/zipped
    And you'd best not talk about the on-going case either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not sure why one would reminisce about that but don't see why it should be verboten either.

It was a pretty big event in the history of the site, and raised some scary questions at the time, that's why I thought it was worth reminiscing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

How would they find peoples details to sue them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jack breen wrote: »
    How would they find peoples details to sue them?

A couple of ways. Ownership of the domain. Tax filings etc.

Khannie wrote: »
    A couple of ways. Ownership of the domain. Tax filings etc.

I know but the posters who made the comments. Most people only use the prepaid dongle thats not registered to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Jack breen wrote: »
    I know but the posters who made the comments. Most people only use the prepaid dongle thats not registered to anyone.

No most people use their home broadband connection and as for the dongles, the isp still have to keep the records from where they were used, so while you may think that it is untraceable they can track with in a few feet using a few towers to triangulate. Same with pre paid mobile phones.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    No most people use their home broadband connection and as for the dongles, the isp still have to keep the records from where they were used, so while you may think that it is untraceable they can track with in a few feet using a few towers to triangulate. Same with pre paid mobile phones.

Wow intresting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not that many people use prepaid dongles. The majority of internet access would be over fixed lines, with a lot of wireless access people running a billpay account.

For those on PAYG access, there are still ways to track them down. The ISP should be able to link a post to the mobile number/SIM that was used to post it.
    If they were really pushed to identify you then, the Gardai could chase down your top-up logs to access credit/debit cards or bank accounts used to top up the phone.

If you want to stay truly unidentifiable really the only way is a PAYG SIM which you top up using cash. Even then you want to make sure the shop you get your credit in has no CCTV, and that you only turn the phone on when you're using it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

And don't post from the same location all the time. And never from your own house.
    If you plan on posting something that'll get you in trouble then do it in the middle of the Phoenix park or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't forget to throw the phone away and get a new one for every post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If someone was pinching another persons wifi, I wonder how easy to track that would be.

Are mac addresses logged by ISPs? How easy to prove would it be if you were the innocent party?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If someone was pinching another persons wifi, I wonder how easy to track that would be.

Are mac addresses logged by ISPs? How easy to prove would it be if you were the innocent party?
    The MAC address would only be for the outbound port so would show the router's MAC for every user on it. To answer your original question it's basically impossible. You can get some data from the router (depending on how good the logs are) but even that data is of limited value usually (a MAC for the wireless network card will only point it to a series of manufacturers going to a series of PCs at best).

I think it's even been used as defence once or twice (I did not download that illegal stuff; someone accessed my wireless doing it) but it got overruled as the owner's responsibility to secure their own connection and was responsible for what ever was downloaded on it.

Advertisement