Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive semi-broken

Options
  • 30-11-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So last night I dropped my 1TB portable hard drive on the ground, idiot I know. I was positive that it was f*#ked.

I plugged it into the USB 3.0 slot and it turned on but it didn't connect to the laptop. Just kinda stops after a while and the light goes off :(

I tried it in the USB 2.0 then and it works fine. Anyone know what could have happened or how to get it to work with USB 3.0. The hard drive is USB 3.0 also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If it works on 2.0 backup anything you want while you can. Then start thinking about why it wont work on 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Will do, nothing on it at the moment that can't be replaced though as it's only a few weeks old.

Would it be worth my while trying to get a replacement?

BillJ wrote: »
    Will do, nothing on it at the moment that can't be replaced though as it's only a few weeks old.

Would it be worth my while trying to get a replacement?

Strange question, if you need the drive to store data then of course it would be worth buying a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If you've only had it a few weeks and it still works on USB 2.0 you could try get it replaced under warranty? I dunno how well it would go down for you, but it might be worth a try. Unless it's quite obvious you dropped it, of course :P

BroLo wrote: »
    If you've only had it a few weeks and it still works on USB 2.0 you could try get it replaced under warranty? I dunno how well it would go down for you, but it might be worth a try. Unless it's quite obvious you dropped it, of course :P
    That's warranty fraud.

• Advertisement

Strange question, if you need the drive to store data then of course it would be worth buying a replacement.

Well it's still working and I can access my data, replacing it would cost me around €100 so would rather keep it. It just doesnt seem to work on USB 3.0 and I can get over that. What i'm worried about is that it will fail on USB 2.0 in the future as well. Is this likely does anyone know?
    BroLo wrote: »

There isn't a mark on it or there isn't anything rattling. I'm not sure what to do. I would feel bad trying to get a replacement but all I did was drop it, they should be a bit more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

is it possible that when u dropped it you knocked something loose inside the usb 3.0 connector in the hard drive caddy?

I guess I'd have to open it up to see that ya? think that may be beyond my expertise!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Keep in mind you may void your warranty by opening it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

FunGoose wrote: »
    Keep in mind you may void your warranty by opening it!

Warranty would be void due to physical damage anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeh I suppose it would but just thought I'd let him know in case he decides to go down the dishonest route.

I'll more than likely just work away with it, USB 2.0 is fine for me.

At the end of the day though it really shouldn't have gotten damaged by a small fall like it did, these things are way too delicate so I wouldn't feel all too bad if I did go down the dishonest route.

I wouldn't put anything important or anything that's not backed up on to that drive. It's obviously damaged, maybe only slightly but I wouldn't trust it.

Also, I wouldn't advise you to buy another one the exact same and bring the damaged faulty one back a few hours later with the new receipt and demand a credit note or refund. I wouldn't advise that because it's dishonest, obviously :pac:

FunGoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't put anything important or anything that's not backed up on to that drive. It's obviously damaged, maybe only slightly but I wouldn't trust it.

Also, I wouldn't advise you to buy another one the exact same and bring the damaged faulty one back a few hours later with the new receipt and demand a credit note or refund. I wouldn't advise that because it's dishonest, obviously :pac:

Ya i'm gonna have everything backed up. Ya it's dishonest, plus they might just give me a replacement and I'd end up with two hardrives! ah I dunno what to do

Advertisement