Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgot schoolbag....

• 30-11-2012 10:46am
    Administrators Posts: 14,463 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My son forgot his school bag this morning. School starts at 9, I was back with it by 9:05.. The class were doing their Friday tables test, and when I went in all the kids were writing in their notebooks, but my lad was just sitting there.

We had the parent teacher meetings, he is very intelligent, which we know, but he does tend to "forget" to do things. His mind wanders and he doesn't listen to what he is being told. Not just in school, either!

I am constantly trying to work on this with him. Telling him I will only ask him to do things once, that he needs to listen, he needs concentrate. I have tried encouraging, flattery, bribery, threats, warnings!

We had the parent teacher meetings and she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. She said he often questions her, about why they have to do certain things... She's not the most approachable teacher, she definitely has her favourites, the girls! and is much tougher on the boys.

Anyway - (that was just to give you a bit of background, so you don't think he was left to sit with nothing in front of him for no reason!)

So my question is - was she trying to teach him that he needs to remember his bag (it's the first time it happened by the way - but could just be adding to her catalogue of trouble with him!) Or should she have at least given him a sheet of paper and a loan of a pencil to do his test?

I'm just wondering it is worth saying anything, or will I just let it go, and concentrate on making him do what he's supposed to do?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Well, if that's the biggest problem in your life, you're not doing too bad! Thing of nothing - definitely would not make an issue with the teacher about it. Your child probably said "My mam will be back soon with my bag" and the teacher decided to either let the child skip the test or do it when you arrived.

• Administrators Posts: 14,463 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ah it's not the biggest problem - but just part of a set of problems with that young fella :D!

I do think she was probably just trying to teach him a lesson - although to be honest, I don't think he'd be that bothered about it, and won't really have thought much of it anyway - certainly not as much as I'm thinking about it!

I just wouldn't like to think that she would be singling him out, because he's p*ssing her off!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Perhaps she was letting him see why he needs his stuff?What age is he?Have you tried a checklist at the door for him each morning?

He's first class. Just turned 7. He'd nearly walk out the door with no shoes if I didn't check him!

Anyway, I asked him today how he got on in school... As I do everyday. We'd had a chat about having to listen and do what he's told WHEN he's told it.

Turns out he didn't even tell the teacher he didn't have his bag. So I think she just thought he was sitting there doing nothing -again!

We'll persevere...

Edit: checklist sounds like an idea.. he'd love something like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Children with exceptional abilty can be really scattered,two friends have EA kids and while I'm mad about them,they can drive parents/teachers nuts as they can be all over the place!!

• Advertisement

Tell me about it.. EA has been mentioned, but he hasn't been assessed (yet). I know I have been in contact with you about him before, byhookorbycrook.

I like your suggestion of a checklist, it would definitely be the type of thing he'd love. I could try maybe a timetable at home. It could take him 25 mins to get dressed in the morning!

Any other suggestions to keep him focused? Bribery/bargaining is where we're at, at the moment!

Do you mean at home or school or both?

At home for the moment.

His teacher this year isn't quite as approachable as his teacher last year!

So I'm hoping if I can get him into good habits at home, he'll carry them on in school...?

Make sure he is focused on you-and not the newspaper/book/tv behind you. Get him to repeat what you say to make sure he has heard and understands,this alone may work, either by improving things by itself or him getting so cheesed at having to repeat that he will start to listen a bit better.

Advertisement