Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mess

Options
  • 30-11-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Currently living in Galway City and I'm not too happy in the house I share with three others. I'll bulletpoint why

- One tennant is consistently loud and when asked to turn it down turns aggressive
    - Said tennant is there all the time using electricity
    - Said tennant never cleans up, even though we got a new dishwasher
    - Said tennant always leaves the front door open all night on the latch.

(I know this because when I first moved in, it was just me and him and it was the same thing, same plates getting dirty, same food covering the surfaces)

You can't ask the guy anything without him getting personal, I've tried every tack with him as have me and my flatmates who just end up moving out to get away from him. I'd go to the landlord but it took him 3 years to get an abusive neighbour out of the house next door, even if he did get the annoying flatmate we have out we'd have to put up with the flatmate for at least a month. I'm not really up for a month of intimidation and cleaning after him. I'm sick of it all.

What do I do? Move out? I'd be driven out of my house effectively, and to be honest I don't want to move, I do like where I live. I don't think I can put up with this situation much longer, but the choice of houses at this time is really bad in Galway.

EDIT: By the way, this isn't some young guy, that I could excuse. The guy is nearly 30.

What do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Report him to the landlord. The noise and door things are serious issues.

If it doesnt get sorted then move out and find somewhere to live with civilized people. Life is too short etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I did but to no effect.

Next door was a very serious situation with threats to personal safety over the three years that tennant lived there. It took 12 different flatmate's complaints, going to the university and more to get him out over the space of 3 years. The landlord just doesn't care about these kinds of things.

I'm totally stuck, I don't want to move into somewhere thats a massive step down from where I am to get peace. I'd have to pay about 100 euro more a month to get anywhere decent from my extensive search on daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Had the same problem with a housemate in college, we put all his dirty sh1t into his bed (beneath the duvet). It worked a treat :)

Had the same problem with a housemate in college, we put all his dirty sh1t into his bed (beneath the duvet). It worked a treat :)

I'm worried I'd get a punch if I did that!

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I did but to no effect.

Next door was a very serious situation with threats to personal safety over the three years that tennant lived there. It took 12 different flatmate's complaints, going to the university and more to get him out over the space of 3 years. The landlord just doesn't care about these kinds of things.

I'm totally stuck, I don't want to move into somewhere thats a massive step down from where I am to get peace. I'd have to pay about 100 euro more a month to get anywhere decent from my extensive search on daft.ie

Why do you want to continue giving money to a landlord who doesnt give a toss about their tenants?

€100 a month sounds cheap if it means getting peace and quiet and the chance to live in civilized surroundings.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Why do you want to continue giving money to a landlord who doesnt give a toss about their tenants?

€100 a month sounds cheap if it means getting peace and quiet and the chance to live in civilized surroundings.

I'd be paying 400 a month instead of 300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

How can anywhere be a "massive step down" from where you are now, it sounds like a nightmare.

Seriously, maybe the rent is low because the landlord is so bad. If I was you I'd pay the extra 100 euro a month for a normal and peaceful life. It sounds like it would be totally worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

As the previous posters said, you can't let this situation continue. If you can't communicate with the tenant you have no option but to present the LL with an ultimatum: "This house ain't big enough for the both of us!". Presumably he will choose to keep the clean, quiet tenant rather than the loud slob - jobs a goodun! If the LL won't get involved, I'd give my notice and move out early in the New Year, even if I had to pay more in a worse location etc. - the stress you're living under is very unhealthy.

I'd be paying 400 a month instead of 300.

Sorry, I meant to say €100 extra.

Point still stands; Id sooner pay €400 to live somewhere decent rather than €300 to live in what sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

I'm with the others. If you can spare the €100 a month at all it would be worth it to get away, and presenting it to the landlord as an ultimatum: "he goes or I go" is probably the best bet.

Any chance your other flatmates would join in with you on this? They're probably not any happier than you are with him, and it'd strengthen your hold on the landlord.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »

Janey_Mac wrote: »
    I'm with the others. If you can spare the €100 a month at all it would be worth it to get away, and presenting it to the landlord as an ultimatum: "he goes or I go" is probably the best bet.

Any chance your other flatmates would join in with you on this? They're probably not any happier than you are with him, and it'd strengthen your hold on the landlord.

The 2 guys are moving out soon as a result of this guy. They're not the kind of people that like conflict so they've just decided to move. I don't like it either but I don't like being treated in a bad way. I doubt they'd join me in an attempt to get him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

There's nothing worse than living somewhere where you and other people actively dislike each other.

Your landlord is only likely to realise what's going on when it gets to the stage that people are moving out regularly. Even if he took your side it could take quite a while to get the agro guy out.

Just move out.

Mezcita wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than living somewhere where you and other people actively dislike each other.

Your landlord is only likely to realise what's going on when it gets to the stage that people are moving out regularly. Even if he took your side it could take quite a while to get the agro guy out.

Just move out.

It took him three years with the guy next door and an absolutely ridiculous amount of tennants to get the guy out. I don't see an ultimatium working, I think I should just move out. Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What do you recommend?

Move. Plain and simple. If he is 30 and still doesn't have the cop-on, he never is going to change. Move. Seriously- its hassle and everything- but life is too short to put up with his crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You need to move OP. No point in complaining if you're not willing to take any form of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is putting up with him worth E100 per month you?

If it is, then put up and shut up.

If not, then move.

Simples.

If you cannot afford to move, and so need to stay then do not ever clean up his mess. Just move it to the side, clean enough stuff to cook your food, and clean up the stuff/area that you used. Get good earplugs for when he is loud. And every time you find the door insecure, ask him why it's like that.

Already have viewings for next week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

take a standing up **** over him as he sleeps....................................... a good oul brown bomber right onto the gob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The 2 guys are moving out soon as a result of this guy. They're not the kind of people that like conflict so they've just decided to move. I don't like it either but I don't like being treated in a bad way. I doubt they'd join me in an attempt to get him out.

tell landlord. 3 of you, or him. Money will decide it for the landlord

uberwolf wrote: »
    tell landlord. 3 of you, or him. Money will decide it for the landlord

That situation has happened before with the house he's in charge of next door to no avail. I'm not even going to bother, having a landlord that doesn't care that much and has fed us a load of bull consistently (said we'd get the house painted, a working hoover for months) is just the cherry on top.

Glad to be moving out! Handing in notice tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

move next door to the nicer house ;)

Wouldn't move in there, they have problems of their own at the moment.

Update:

Told the landlord, and unsurprisingly didn't give a toss about the housemate problems. Still, he gave me a reference though.

House viewings are frustrating at the moment, not a lot of good places at the moment for me. Still, hopefully something will turn up. Handing in notice tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

House viewings are frustrating at the moment, not a lot of good places at the moment for me. Still, hopefully something will turn up. Handing in notice tomorrow.
    What part of Galway are you moving to? Are you stuck to a certain area due to work/college/family?

Advertisement