Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freaky longer second toe and runners

• 30-11-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

i don't think i'm alone witht his one, but my second toe is longer than my big toe :eek:
    I'm doing a fair bit of running at the moment and will be building up towards and IM. My runners are always fit based on my big toe, so then when i run the second toe rubs all the time.I've always just ignored it and accepted the nail getting black every few weeks and falling off and the toe being a bit sore, but its starting to annoy me now.
    Obviously getting a bigger size shoe doesnt seem like a good route to take.
    anyone else have this and have any tips ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Wow - I had this exact same problem too!!
    I spent years running in pain knocking my big ass toe off the front of my runners until I discovered that the secret lay in an old fashioned apple corer like this one:

picture.php?pictureid=14208&albumid=1194&dl=1354271758&thumb=1

But be careful, the first time I used one of these to alieviate the problem I thought it would be best to pop my runners on my feet first so as to get the positioning just right - big pain :eek:
    It was much easier on the second foot (after my visioin had cleared) to take the time to carefully mark the location of the offending digit with a marker first before then removing the shoe and popping the hole out
    Now I'm able to run carefree (and pain free) with my big ass second digit poking out the front of my shoe getting some fresh air for itself.
    As an added bonus the toe provides shocking good grip for doing hill repeats on a grassy slope - kinda like a crampon jutting out the front
    If you have trouble picking up an apple corer I can send you my one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

miller82 wrote: »
    i don't think i'm alone witht his one, but my second toe is longer than my big toe :eek:
    I'm doing a fair bit of running at the moment and will be building up towards and IM. My runners are always fit based on my big toe, so then when i run the second toe rubs all the time.I've always just ignored it and accepted the nail getting black every few weeks and falling off and the toe being a bit sore, but its starting to annoy me now.
    Obviously getting a bigger size shoe doesnt seem like a good route to take.
    anyone else have this and have any tips ?

I'm a freak too then!

You need to size your runner based on your longest toe, in this case your second toe. And give yourself some extra room too.

I also discovered that a secondary cause is not having a sock that fits properly. If the sock is tight on your toes it will also cause the nail to have issues on longer runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I'm a freak too then!

You need to size your runner based on your longest toe, in this case your second toe. And give yourself some extra room too.

I also discovered that a secondary cause is not having a sock that fits properly. If the sock is tight on your toes it will also cause the nail to have issues on longer runs.

do you not run the risk have flopping around in bigger shoes for the sake of one freaky digit ?
    I've always been an 11, you reckon go for a 11.5 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

"Freaky longer second toe" aka Morton's toe which is the common term for the condition of a shortened first metatarsal in relation to the second metatarsal, is actually a "freaky shorter big toe".
    Worth googling "morton's toe runner" for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I thought the apple corer was to adjust the length of the offending freak toe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jeffontour wrote: »
    I thought the apple corer was to adjust the length of the offending freak toe!

So did I. I winced when I saw the pic of the apple corer.

My second toe is slightly longer but have no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ah yes... Also known as 'pied ancestral' or 'pied de Néanderthal'. At least you're in good company. The great lady herself, suffers from the same condition:

Statue-of-Liberty-TOES-web.jpg

dna_leri wrote: »
    "Freaky longer second toe" aka Morton's toe which is the common term for the condition of a shortened first metatarsal in relation to the second metatarsal, is actually a "freaky shorter big toe".
    Worth googling "morton's toe runner" for more info.

Its also an indicator of genius, allegedly.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

So did I. I winced when I saw the pic of the apple corer.

My second toe is slightly longer but have no issues.

I'm the same. To make up for it my baby toes are almost non existent, with nails no bigger than the head of a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm the same. To make up for it my baby toes are almost non existent, with nails no bigger than the head of a match.
    I'd quite happily have my baby toe lopped off tbh. All it ever seems to do is get itchy or banged off things.

• Advertisement

miller82 wrote: »
    do you not run the risk have flopping around in bigger shoes for the sake of one freaky digit ?
    I've always been an 11, you reckon go for a 11.5 ?

With no idea of how you are measured and judging by the apple corer above, if you have to punch a hole in your shoes they are way too small.

With the right amount of space your feet will be more comfortable, more relaxed, and there will be less tension in your feet, lower legs and so on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Me and my sis are the same, except she has no baby toenails AT ALL. :eek: Freakin weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Me and my sis are the same, except she has no baby toenails AT ALL. :eek: Freakin weirdo.

That's from growing up in Ballyer ;)

Advertisement