Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering/copying data from a NAS hard drive that is "Down"?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 month old WD 3TB drive in a NAS that is after showing status as down in the NAS, but the drive is okay.

Is there any way of getting data off this drive? The techs at Zyxel (my NAS brand) have informed me i can with Ubuntu on my old xp running from a dvd bootup... (dvd of ubuntu 12 to hand and ready to go)... but not too sure on how to get at the data to export it to another hard drive?

Any ideas... really prefer not to lose the data on the drive... i have a backup but its over 4 months old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Firstly you need another external drive to transfer the data to, download knoppix http://knoppix.net/ or use your ubuntu, drives should appear on desktop of Knoppix, you may have to mount them, instruction on knoppix site and transfer the data to new drive, if you cannot see your old drive and access the data then you will have to go to a data recovery company - which is big bucks unfortunately!

Advertisement