Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A long way down - IM South Africa 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

He went with a 3 week training plan for DCM surely 4 weeks would work for Donadea. He still has that previous 3 week training block in the legs....the stamina will still be there:D

Looks remarkably similar to my strategy for Donadea!

2hr 54 turbo - was just so happy to finish the crap movie, that I hopped off before the planned 3 hours.

I'm hoping to get out for 2-3 longish cycles before the IM in April, but based on Abu Dhabi last year, I should be able to get away with consistent long-ish turbos.

If I can get out for a 2hr run in the morning, I'll be happy with the start to Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Izoard wrote: »
    If I can get out for a 2hr run in the morning, I'll be happy with the start to Jan.

Exactly my thinking too! See you at Donadea

Exactly my thinking too! See you at Donadea

For sure - you have a time in mind for Donadea? I know you mentioned in your log, it was "just to finish", but we all know you better than that:)

So, the youngest has had a spectacular 60-a-day cough that has kept us up the past couple of nights, but he casually wanders into the bedroom this am, announcing that he has made a Lazarus-like recovery and is indeed fit to attend rugby training this morning.

So, instead of a leisurely 2hr+ run this am, it was a sprint out the door and a high tempo 90 mins, immediately followed by a chaotic coaching session with the u7s, who had been on lock down for the past 2 weeks.

Moral of the story - get up at 6am and do the run as planned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Moral of the story - get up at 6am and do the run as planned...

Exactly my thinking too, again! Didn't get my lazy ass up missed my window this morning so it was a Sunday evening one for me. My least favourite time of the week to run.

Re: Donadea - extended long run. Few bodies gathering for a 4 hour run, may be in that camp

First swim of the year - easy 3km.

You can tell it is early Jan, the pool was packed!

Heading to San Francisco for 9 days on a work trip - training will be limited to the treadmill and hopefully a couple of outdoor runs.

Strangely, time spent at the bar is inversely proportional to time spent running...:)

Some solid diligence so far... 2 x 13km runs along the waterfront.

Always a nice, local feel to this city...

Good plans to do an LSR this morning, but a ridiculous route home from SF, due to mechanicals, bad weather etc.., meant I was just glad to get 50 mins running with the dogs in Bushy Park this morning.

It was interesting being over there for the Lance/Oprah sessions - the main stream US press have gone to town on him, despite being his biggest cheerleaders.

No one more pi$$ed off, than his biggest fan-boy, Rick Reilly @ ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8852974/lance-armstrong-history-lying

• Advertisement

Very little swimming year-to-date, so set myself a goal of maximum distance in 90mins, to see where I'm at.

4.1km, with just a couple of very short breaks...pretty close to my IM race pace, so not all bad.

It has been so long since I've gone for an early morning swim, they've an entirely new access system in the gym.

All the better for the first appearance in 6 months or so, although still plenty of octogenarian breast-strokers in the wrong lanes, giving a welcome slalom element to the swim....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It has been so long since I've gone for an early morning swim, they've an entirely new access system in the gym.

All the better for the first appearance in 6 months or so, although still plenty of octogenarian breast-strokers in the wrong lanes, giving a welcome slalom element to the swim....

Fair play to your cheery outlook Izoard, the glass is always half full with you. I know I'd have described this phenomenon differently :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Fair play to your cheery outlook Izoard, the glass is always half full with you. I know I'd have described this phenomenon differently :)

The way I look at it, any chance to do a S/B/R session, is a good thing...it is meant to be an enjoyable way to stop me from getting fat(ter)...:)

Having said that, I'll be gutted if I don't win Male AG 40-44 for left-handers from Rathfarnham @ IM ZA.

Anyways, I enjoyed the swim so much this am, I gladly bailed on my lunchtime run in favour of another dip in the pool. Only this time, I was probably the oldest in a pool-full of students...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Anyways, I enjoyed the swim so much this am, I gladly bailed on my lunchtime run in favour of another dip in the pool. Only this time, I was probably the oldest in a pool-full of students...

You need to do a session in the UCD pool where you can observe the mating ritual of the species known as the GAA short wearing hairy backed jacuzzi loving male and his indifferent female object of desire. It's quite a sight to see a jacuzzi full of scantly clad female students being displayed to by lads with no chance of ever scoring :) Makes you feel old.

griffin100 wrote: »
    You need to do a session in the UCD pool where you can observe the mating ritual of the species known as the GAA short wearing hairy backed jacuzzi loving male and his indifferent female object of desire. It's quite a sight to see a jacuzzi full of scantly clad female students being displayed to by lads with no chance of ever scoring :) Makes you feel old.

Better class of punter in Trinity - straight out of an A&F ad....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

In trinity, yesterday morning?? What lane were you in?

BTH wrote: »
    In trinity, yesterday morning?? What lane were you in?

Not quite - Carlisle with the grannies in the morning, while the Trinity experience was in the afternoon...

The texts were flying in yesterday - GAA, rugby and football all cancelled - excellent...no need to get up at silly o'clock for my run this am.

Too good to be true - the killer blow..
    "Great, you'll be able to come to the girls Communion prep mass at 9.15, so..."
    Damn you pesky kids...

Up at 6am, running gear on, open the door, lashing rain.
    Didn't fancy that, so switched into turbo gear and heading out to the cave.
    TT bike had a puncture.
    I think the IM/Ultra gods were sending me a clear message - HTFU and go out and run.

24 km in 2hr 5mins - longest run since DCM.

Mass awaits...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

The texts were flying in yesterday - GAA, rugby and football all cancelled - excellent...no need to get up at silly o'clock for my run this am.

Too good to be true - the killer blow..
    "Great, you'll be able to come to the girls Communion prep mass at 9.15, so..."
    Damn you pesky kids...

Up at 6am, running gear on, open the door, lashing rain.
    Didn't fancy that, so switched into turbo gear and heading out to the cave.
    TT bike had a puncture.
    I think the IM/Ultra gods were sending me a clear message - HTFU and go out and run.

24 km in 2hr 5mins - longest run since DCM.

Mass awaits...

.............Your a sucker for punishment!

• Advertisement

handangeo wrote: »
    .............Your a sucker for punishment!

And, he's back - where've you been? What's on the menu this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

And, he's back - where've you been? What's on the menu this year?

Oh I'm here, just lurking in the backround! IM has got expensive so I cant see that being on the cards in 2013. I've decided that I'm a cold region IMer anyway so its IM Sweden or Challenge Copenhagen! - God knows what will happen when I qualify for Kona :eek:, I'll worry about that then!

I've enlisted the services of a coach ;) and been going about my training nice and quietly. Its National Series and Tri an Mhi to start with we'll see how things pan out after that.............although IM Switz still looks nice.

and verily, on the 3rd day, He sent another sign...

Decided to pop my spinning cherry this am and joined the spin class in the gym.

Get there early to secure a spot - check.
    Fiddle with the 97 adjustments for a comfortable position - check
    Panic 'cause I just realised there was a split in my shorts - check

Full class, and the instructor saunters down;
    "Ehhh, no class today, someone broke the PA last night..."

WTF do you need a PA for, in a spin class? Surely, you generally roar at people for 45 mins from a bike or strolling around, eye-balling the lazy ones?.

So, I remain a spin virgin, but did manage my first brick in about 2 years.

The Gods have spoken, again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Spit shorts and cherry popping. Too many visuals going on here.....

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Spit shorts and cherry popping. Too many visuals going on here.....

Dory, no one spat on my shorts, but I'm open to offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dory, no one spat on my shorts, but I'm open to offers...

Oops!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Decided to pop my spinning cherry this am and joined the spin class in the gym.

You know what, i used to look up and admire you Izo. Now after reading this i have lost all respect for you....the shame. You are dead to me now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You know what, i used to look up and admire you Izo. Now after reading this i have lost all respect for you....the shame. You are dead to me now:)

You look up to everyone.....

I am old now, grasshopper, and the mind is getting weaker.
    However, I felt the strength of The Force as it knobbled the gym PA.

The mist has lifted and I can see clearly again...

• Advertisement

35km in 3hr 08 on Sat morning - happy to get through it and will do the same again next week, before Donadea.

These are always the hardest part of training for LD events - long, solo runs at ridiculous hours of the morning.

In the meantime, heading for the chilly streets of Moscow tomorrow - reckon it will be a few treadmill sessions, if I am lucky.

Advertisement